AMD Catalyst 15.5 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AMDMatt, May 29, 2015.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Exact same graphics and race settings in Project Cars on the latest Windows 10 release with the latest Window 10 AMD drivers, 49fps at position 20 on the starting grid and it never dropped under 47fps during the race.

I'm not sure if i should be disappointed the 15.5 drivers on Widows 8.1 are still clearly underperforming with Project Cars, or that i should be happy that the game is performing so much better on Windows 10.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    By latest in W10 you mean 1023.3 or 1036?

You can also test W10 modded version of 1023.3 and 1036 for W8.1, i bet your results will improve over official w.8.1 official drivers...

3. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    For Windows 10 i have whatever the latest ones that got downloaded by Windows update installed.

4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Thanks dude that just confirmed that windows 10 should improve perfromance. I'm to lazy to test windows 10 now having to open my case both sides and unplug drives and plug them back. To much of a hassle to even bother for now but nice to see there is improved performance so i guess for me running crossfire i should see even better boost.

I wonder what about other games like bf4, Crysis3 and some other intense games. I don't play crysis3 cause already finished it but it's just to see performance.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    So 1023.3.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No need to install W10 use modded drivers for W8.1 in ....W8.1, you'll get almost the same increased performance you can get in W10.

7. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Just tested 1036 on Windows 8.1 and its a little better than the 15.5 drivers, its now 43fps on the starting grid and 41fps minimum during the race.

Gonna try the same version as my Windows 10 install, which is 1023 like you said.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    At least in DX11 API overhead test modded 1023.3 works better form me than modded 1036.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5085350&postcount=116

9. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    No difference for me with 1023.3 over 1036 on Windows 8.1, both have 43fps on the grid and 41fps minimum during the race.

I think I'll stick with the Windows 10 modified drivers for Project Cars on Windows 8.1, its only a couple of FPS higher than the 15.5 drivers but its easily worth it (and i can't be bothered to launch into W10 every time i want to play it :))

Still its very surprising how much better Windows 10 handles the game with the exact same drivers, I think i might see how some other games go with the OS to see if anything else gets a boost.

Edit.
    My updated list of results for PCars is now.

Windows 8.1 with 15.4 drivers = 33fps starting grid and 29fps minimum during the race.
    Windows 8.1 with 15.5 drivers = 41fps starting grid and 39fps minimum during the race.
    Windows 8.1 with 1036 drivers = 43fps starting grid and 41fps minimum during the race.
    Windows 8.1 with 1023 drivers = 43fps starting grid and 41fps minimum during the race
    Windows 10 with 1023 drivers = 49fps starting grid and 47fps minimum during the race.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  10. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    At first look W10 seems to be another W8.x update (4?) or Service Pack.

Now comparing the DX11performance of the same drivers on both OSes it shows that something is REALLY happen behind the GUI and some real changes are occuring (apart DX12 of course).

In one month when W10 will be released i didn't think a valid reason to stay on W8.1.....

...at least for gamers point of view. :)

11. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I have been using it on my laptop for 3 days, its been stable, and i am risking a lot, i use it to work and software development.

And its hard to not be impressed with its speed.

The search box of Windows 8.1 was much more slower than the W8.0, everytime i want to search for netbeans, Visual studion or brackets or whatever software i do use, it takes sometimes seconds, putting that crappy 5400RPM HDD working a lot.

Under W10, searching for software, files or whatever doesn't even take half of second, and already a result on screen.
    And i have already a bunch of software installed, and a lot of virtual machines there.
    Memory management seems that improved a lot too.

I just hope they continue to fix bugs and things like that, because the improvement over W8.1 its a lot :)
    Even many colegues fanboys of macs have been impressed with the speed on my ****ty laptop.
    And the animations now are butter smooth too.

12. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Master Guru

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    1036 get's me 60-81fps in witcher 3 now no hair works because i want the good fps new drivers are downloading on windows 10 now so we will see

13. WarDocsRevenge

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    never mind

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Lol here is what nvidia has done with the latest driver;

R353.06

-Supports G-SYNC technology in windowed mode. (Supported for 2-way SLI, but not 3-way or 4-way.)
    -Offers both G-SYNC (V-SYNC on) and G-SYNC (V-SYNC off) options.
    -Adds support for Ultra-Low Motion Blur (ULMB) in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
    -Provides Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) for notebooks with discrete GeForce GPUs, Fermi-based and above.
    -Implements optimizations and bug fixes that provide increased performance for Kepler-based GPUs.

They added DSR for laptops ...

15. WarDocsRevenge

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    DSR is poorly coded and slower than VSR g-stink is a rip off of a patient that amd had since 2008

16. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    You got something on your nose man. If amd is that good you wouldn't need to try multiple of modded drivers to get the most fps possible. ;)

17. WarDocsRevenge

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    your moronic comment is noted and ignored cause even nvidia 700 cards needed a modded driver these days to be as powerful as they used to be

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD GPU customer here (2x290X) and AMD buyer since the the original "FURY" (ATI Rage FURY) (circa 1999).

DSR poorly coded? Could be IDK. The facts is it works and it's widely supported!
    G-Sync a rip off? Could be IDK.The fact is it also works including multi-gpu setups!
    (AMD legal dept....What are you waiting for the lawsuit for this ripoff?)

Is 4K VSR a "superior" downsampling solution than "inferior" and poorly coded Nvidia DSR?

Of course it is BUT...ONLY IN THE FULLY (4K) SUPPORTED AMD 285!

A sh**** and extremely cheap Nvidia gtx 650 i have buried under a big layer of dust in a corner of my table is able to perform "inferior" 4K Nvidia DSR downsampling solution.

My +1500 US$ 2x290X AMD CFX (included WC loop and not including the rest of PC parts) has NO "superior" 4K AMD VSR downsampling solution.

So the sh**** gtx 650 can give me a WAY better codded and WAY faster 4K downsampling solution than the NONEXISTENT ONE AMD is giving me for my expensive AMD CFX.

To have access to this "superior" 4K AMD VSR downsampling solution i "need" to "upgrade" to a pair of "superior" 285 because is the ONLY FULLY SUPPORTED GPU by AMD drivers.

I want something like this "inferior" Nvidia DSR downsampling solution who is supported in 35 GPU models including multi-GPU setups and avoid to buy "superior" hardware.

I also want something like the "inferior" Nvidia G-Sync adaptative sync solution cause the "superior" Freesync adaptative sync solution has no support at all for CFX. NONE NOT EVEN 285.

You are lucky, in your single 290X you can use modded drivers (!) and hacks to have access to this "superior" 4K VSR.

I can't do the same in my CFX because it doesn't work in crosffire even with modded drivers or hacks.

You can also use Freesync monitors with your single GPU.

I can't do the same in my CFX because it doesn't work in crosffire due to the lack of AMD drivers support for Freesync IN ANY GPU crossfired.

"INFERIOR" SOLUTIONS ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN NONE AT ALL.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  19. WarDocsRevenge

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/1727-amd-catalyst-omega-update-vsr-vs-dsr enough said

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)