AMD Catalyst 15.5 BETA (14.502.1014.1001 May 14)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. moby1974

moby1974 New Member

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    I was with Nvidia for a long time before the move over to AMD, the 295x2 caught my eye because of its power and hope that it would eat W3 at 4k.

Well the whole CF thing is a joke, I see why Nvidia are running away with this in sales each year, and though many say Nvidia are bad, I have to say in all my years with them I never went to any forum to bitch about drivers, sure I went to forums to go ape **** on game patches from companies but never drivers.

Maybe my years with Nvidia were lucky, and maybe it helped that I moved on to the top card every time one came out, never had to try older cards with new games, but either way, I never had a issue with Nvidia, and they seemed to churn out drivers all the time.

It would need AMD to nail this W3 driver asap, and be ready for the next handful of AAA games to keep me on board, but after all this carry on and reading about all the ongoing issues with support, I think I will be saying goodbye.

Said it before, its a total shame AMD seem to have a financial death wish, I want them to do well, push Nvidia, make them push new tech and lower costs.

2. Dana Scully

Dana Scully Member

GPU:
    Amd r9 270 X2
    AMD crossfire profile, for its non-arrival or not functioning properly, is not about Gameworks. This is a lie, if you believe this. I get 80% working out of both cards with 15.4 with everything ultra, even water (so it's got nothing to do with Gameworks's water simulation) -- after waiting around minute or minute and half the engine to initiate. Of course after I have renamed my "witcher3" to "sdhdship", but if I remember correctly, 70% or something with original name (maybe more) if I just reinstall drivers one time/restore factory defaults), and don't limit my framerates [for this 80% test I mean]. I'm using 30 fps limiter in-game, and I'd hope that I wouldn't have the stutters (very little, in my eyes "per/once" running about 100m in Witcher3) but i'd hope a fix to these, and if i could raise my fps-limit say "40" (RadeonPro-ultraFXAA with the game, original graphics, patch 1.03(reinstalled)-> didn't like 1.04)).

So, I think, there must be something wrong with the company headquarter. For first driver to published about W3, I don't expect perfection, I want crossfire to work at least the standard that I can "optimize" my self. The view is twisted, if you slaverly (sorry about my english) deliver driver when it's optimized to all the expectations people or the headquarter has for you. Does it cost so much to publish a driver with CF-profile and week after a driver that answers to other questions? With this kind of problem, is the problem managemental or what, it's not Gameworks, as I shown'd with crossfire? Next time, I believe, I go with the other brand.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No issues with my 290x really it is performing nicely except for pcars but I don't care for whatever reason it works fine enough. @ 1080p 290x being according to some benchies there with 780 ti and 970 so working as intended I guess...

I don't need 4k VSR with this card as it ain't fast enough to do it in many many games anyway to be playable to me around 60fps... Freesync display I don't even have yet :D

Oh well next year something new with 14nm or 16nm process.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  4. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    Should improve. Don't have the game but it is plastered with Nvidia advertisement so I'd say AMD will take a bit to get a good driver out.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Actually, they don't. GPU driver complexity is so great that rivals the complexity of whole operating systems. Most of us don't seem to notice that when we download drivers, we more or less get 200+ MB of CODE. Not video, not audio, but BINARY.
    The same stands for both companies. The amount of people who can write effectively and have the requisite OS/API/HW knowledge are less and less for both companies, hence the new APIs that leave most of that work to the developers.

As for NVIDIA's quality drivers, my friend who we play StarCraft 2 with had to do a GPU replacement on his laptop (GT8600) after 196.75 WHQL (bold for the people that believe that matters). Never forget. :D

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    He has a point. We get very few updates with very few optimizations with very few fixes.
    Maybe it's because they are inexperienced there now at AMD (in the past they weren't) as he said. We don't know :)

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I understand why you are happy:

- If you want 4K VSR simply use modded drivers, they provide 4K VSR for single 290(X).

- Freesync for single GPU is provided by official drivers.

Previous features are NOT avalaible with CFX 290(X)/295X2 even using modded drivers.

That's some of the problems for AMD CFX users.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

VSR up to 2560 x 1440 is not a big performance hit EVEN on my R9 270x !
    dont fear to try it out. if you dont mess with any other settings and ONLY choose a bigger resolution there should be a maximum of a 5 FPS drop

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    I've yet to install a driver in which VSR works properly for me. It always makes everything look really soft and blurry.

10. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    it does! but for me only in 2d desktop applications.
    thats why i use it only in 3d rendering or games... where it really kicks @ss ! and replaces performance hungry AA settings most of the time!

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    VSR downsampling only deliver a better image for me if i use the same aspect ratio for both res and the downsampling operation is using an integer number.

My monitor is 16:6 1920x1080 (1080p) so for me the best VSR res is 16:9 3840x2160(4K).

In this case each pixel showed in my 1080p monitor comes from the info interpolated from 4 pixel in the internally 4K rendered image.

If i try with other fancy res like the AMD max VSR provided 3200x1800 when it's downsampled i show blur and soft as you said.

unfortunally to be able to use the 4K VSR i must disable my CFX and use modded drivers. :(

12. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    I've reverted to 15.3.1 beta to get the VSR tool working on Windows 8.1 for my R7 265, but the performance in pCARS is dire compared to modded Windows 10 drivers.

A while back, I did a "dirty install" of 15.4 over the above beta and I still had 2560x1600 VSR available (which IIRC is the limit for DVI-VGA I'm using to connect to my monitor).

13. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    Why does 4k work and not 3200x1800? I don't really understand your explanation.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    They both work but i get a better image with 4K VSR because is an exact interpolation of data from internally rendered 4K pixels:

- Both has the same aspect ratio 16:9

- 3840x2160 pixels/4 gives you the info to render a 1920x1080 pixels image.

Call it "squared división" VSR, "integer división" VSR or whatever.

Try the "conversión" from 3200x1800 to 1920x1080...

Soft and blur.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    Oh I was confused by the aspect ratio part because 3200x1800 is 16x9 too, just not an exact number of pixels to divide 1080p into.

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah I opted not to get another 290x for 290€ because I ain't liking what I read about crossfire or multi-gpu setups in general.

I've been using non-modded drivers because 1600p is enough :p My display is 1920x1200 one so I will get really good performance on everything.

And freesync is something that I know would work but then again I don't own a display like that.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yeah it was confusing. :)

My fault.

If a res is an exact multiple of another the aspect ratio is the same. :D

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    So 4k is basically the lowest resolution that you can down sample to 1080p without softness then?

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    At the end of the day (and at the start) you are happy whit what you have, good for you! :)