AMD Catalyst 14.9.2 BETA (14.301.1006.0 October 9)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by garikfox, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ask them
    http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=259400

2. jsolo

jsolo Member

GPU:
    @work:6770,7770,260X
    They have acknowledged monitor wake from sleep issues claiming they can't reliably reproduce them in their labs but are trying in other forum threads months ago. What bugs me is the dishonesty of not disclosing acknowledged bugs in release notes for current driver versions, meaning we end up with endless cycles of people complaining in threads and other people suggesting AMD doesn't know about the issues and that one more bug report will make any difference whatsoever.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If I recall right, 14.9.1 was fine for me without the wake issue. I tested it for a few days without issue, and normally the issue occurs within hours.

But I'm unsure as to what actually fixed it. Along with 14.9.1, I was also using Windows 10 Tech Preview, and I also had a different GPU (a R7850 TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC).

Previously, I had two different R7850 POWER EDITION 2GD5/OC cards that would have the wake issue on Windows 8.1. The last card had it occur far more often, but it also came with it's own share of other issues.

So there's three different factors as far as I know that could cause the wake issue; the GPU itself being defective or not, the operating system, and the driver.

The driver factor is probably least likely, but maybe it could vary between people.

Another strange thing is that the wake issue only occurs for me under Windows (7/8/8.1); Linux with both proprietary and open-source drivers on all GPUs tested was fine. I would think that if the GPUs I tried in the past were defective, the issue would persist in any environment. Maybe ZeroCore plays a part in this? I'm unsure if that tech works in Linux, but I don't recall my fans powering down during idle. I get my next GPU tomorrow so I'll be sure to check.

Only really leaves the operating system, but I'm really not sure where to begin with that.

Things to try to fix the wake issue:

- Disable ZeroCore (I think you can disable ULPS to do this; UnofficialOverclockingMode on Afterburner apparently also accomplishes disabling ZeroCore)
    - Try Windows 10 Tech Preview

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  4. picturaw

picturaw Member

GPU:
    AMD 7790 1GB
    Which problem are you talking about ? The one where the screen doesn't awake (black screen) ? Or the one where the opened windows are resized ?

5. jsolo

jsolo Member

GPU:
    @work:6770,7770,260X
    I'm specifically referring to the power saving feature of putting the monitor into standby after the computer is idle X minutes, and then the monitor not waking back up.

We have a couple of hundred machines with 260X cards that would infrequently suffer the wake from sleep issues(maybe once or twice a month?), and I think our HD7750 cards in our previous generation machines also may have been affected although with far less frequency. This was with most of the 14.x line of drivers that I tried.

The problem with the 260X cards is they also suffer the far more frequent black screen crashes where the whole computer locks up(on a bad driver up to 5 times a day, on a 'good' driver maybe only once a fortnight, still totally unacceptable in a business), and to the end user, the problems look the same.

We've since written off the huge sum we spent on 260X cards and have begun retrofitting GTX750 cards. I still keep an eye on these threads as I'm going to unfortunately have a legacy tail of AMD cards in my environment for at least another 2-3 years so I need to know if any new drivers are any improvement on some of these old never fixed or fixed and then broken straight back again issues(the other one we suffer on the older cards is BSODs thanks to AMD's interaction with Flash).

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Out of those hundreds of machine, did all of them experience the wake issue, or did some? Did all those machines have similar hardware?

7. Dazza08

Dazza08 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 XT 2GB
    The monitor bug occurs for me with these drivers. Back in 14.4 i dont think it did. But ive only used those for like 3 days.

The bug doesn't occur everytime. Sometimes the monitor sleeps and i move the mouse and it wakes up fine. Sometimes it doesn't. I also don't think the computer is functional at all when the bug happens. Cuz when this happened once im sure that i left my music app on however the music was not playing. The monitor sleeps and i press the play hotkey and nothing plays. So yeah. Just my observation.

8. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm trying to poinpoint my freezes to specific Catalyst version, so I reinstalled 14.9. So far it's fine, but I won't ne happy until at least 2 more days pass.
    Using 14.4 doesn't seem to be an option anyway, because there is some horrible flickering on some textures in distance in BF4 while looking through optics.

9. PhoenixRed

PhoenixRed Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Let me know how it goes, I really hope they can fix this bug :(

10. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    That flickering at long distance is called Z-Fighting its an Engine issue and wont be fixed by a driver or new GPU.

Some devs do clever tricks to hide it better other not so much like in BF3/4

11. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Seeing how some of you are still having this monitor wakeup bug, I think I am having one now as well.

I will have to do a little more testing to make sure, but here is what is happening on my system.

I have a Dell 24" 1920x1200 hooked up via DVI.

I actually have 3 monitors, but usually have them disabled, so I am not sure if it happens with the other monitors or not.

Sometimes, after I come back to the computer after the monitor has gone to sleep, when it wakes back up, the screen is all corrupted. However, when I move my mouse, it flashes between corrupted and how it is supposed to look.

12. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    is your vram overclocked?

13. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Must be something introduced after the launch, because I don't remember ever seeing it year ago.

14. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Its always been there :D Look up Battlefield Z-fighting and you see it dates back way into BF3

15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    skyrim was notorious for it as well on water to land transitions.

16. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB

i7 4790K with 2x290 in Mantle, BF4. This has been going since July. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-OLuw3NxUI

There's no better way to lose trust of a customer who buys two of your GPUS with a flagship game over your overhyped technology, than hyping it and then abandoning it. DVR, doesnt work, Black screens since the beginning. and this crap, since July. Crap company, crap products. So angry.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What's the video meant to show ?

18. CobraCommander

CobraCommander Member

GPU:
    Asus R9290X 4GB
    I installed the beta update as a hail mary to fix something and so far I've actually noticed an improvement inside games that weren't meant to be fixed by this.

I haven't tried the re-size problem I was having since I thought it was because of my monitor size (3440x1440)... I play mostly on the second screens (TVs) anyway.

As for the monitor wake issue, I didn't know this was an ongoing thing until reading this post, but I had issues with that and thought it was my setup. I wonder if it has to do with their troublesome detection polling which was screwing me up bigtime when trying to switch to normal TV.

I used to be able to switch to my Sat and the computer would react simply like the monitor was unplugged, but now it seems to keep detecting the TVs where it didn't before.

I have a 34UM95 21:9 3440x1440 LG connected by DisplayPort, but I run an HDMI to a Sony 5200ES receiver and then out from there to a 70" Sony HDTV and a second 46" HDTV I have pointed at the kitchen (for watching TV, mostly).

This wasn't a problem before recent driver updates, but is now and I'm wondering if their attempts to resolve the wake issue was to somehow crank up detection?

My setup is weird and it is welcoming issues by essentially going through an HDMI "splitter" or "switch" with the receiver as the hub. However, if my weirdo setup and findings helps anyone else out with what is happening in my case, then that's great.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I was going to ask the same thing...

20. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    there appears to be some kind of black out at the end, but it looks like he quit the game.

lol