AMD Catalyst 14.9.1 BETA (14.301.1004.0 October 4)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Oct 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cesarm

cesarm New Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290x
    Just did the following test (driver 14.4):

1. Intel Burn Test Very High + 3D Mark Fire Strike Ultra
    2. Intel Burn Test Very High + 10 Minutes of FurMark

No reboots.

2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Run same test, but burn the cpu at the same time too, that i7 can be sucking some power and the artificial tests don't do much with it, while games do, but I too don't think it is the psu when furmark is doing okay. Also the usual stuff - memory, had a faulty memory module some 7 months ago, it was actually passing a single memtest86 run (and the windows 8 memory diag), but when I left it for whole day I have seen the errors, had exactly gaming crashes before changing the module.

3. cesarm

cesarm New Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290x
    I did both at the same time (CPU + GPU), no issues and no reboots.

I it is the memory it will crash with any driver, almost sure was the driver.

4. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I don't recall really did I have better experience with different drivers when I had bad memory. But the bad memory is almost never really "bad" in terms of smoking, it is a single bit in a single byte having wrong value when performing very specific operation. More than an year ago a colleague was stunned - downloading ISO image from a dvd resulted in bad file. He examined and found that 1 bit was different, and that happened only with this operation and was 100% reproducible every time. Ran memtest and it showed nothing, then changed memory and no issues after. Just let it go when you are not home for several hours, won't hurt and you'll have confidence in the memory after that at least :)

5. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    I have no crashes/locks, but just strange hangs in some games (Saints Row 3 & 4, Skyrim). I will probably back to 14.4..

6. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    No issues here either with Tahiti LE. Still @ 14.9 and only had one instance when monitor did not wake from idle timeout (not to be confused with waking from sleep).

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A tip here. With Windows, AutoIT scripting software. If you make a basic script and let it run (and showing in the tray always) it prevents the GPU from going into idle mode. I do this to prevent the monitor issue.

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

Just use this snippet of code and make sure you have the trayicon visible (blue circle with A in it)

You can also compile this as an .exe and have it run at system startup.

8. B0GiE-uk-

B0GiE-uk- Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6Gb
    I used to do that on other drivers and it worked but not with 14.9.1.

I've had with AMD, I'm going green next gfx card, the GTX970 is looking mighty appealing at the moment.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Slowdowns in Ryse with these.

10. grufferator

grufferator Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD7850 1G
    Is it worth upgrading from 14.x RC1 (Open CL 2.0)? Only the OpenGL version is newer. Mantle is the same, Direct3D seems to be older.

11. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    If everything is all right,No.
    if you wanna test this drivers,do it.maybe can give you 10 more fps. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. Amauryx

Amauryx Member

GPU:
    r9 270
    My PC just crashed while playing F1 2014, monitor went black with loud buzzing sound from speakers. Not sure if it's driver related but rolled back to 14.9 will see if problem will come back.

13. darktranq

darktranq Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti FE
    I've had all my "Driver has stopped responding" error messages since upgrading to 14.9.1, and I'm only using 2D/desktop apps such as Firefox.

But when I'm in game, it runs great and smooth as silk.

Ugh. Frustrating.

14. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Well im back on 13.12 (again) these still have the idle and load heat increase issue for me,that's a +5-8 degrees with the same fan profile/clocks/voltage setting as running under 13.12 for ZERO increase performance :puke2:

Its been months since this issue was reported to AMD and it seems that they aren't going to fix it,i can only think its a side effect of them trying to alleviate the grey/black screens 2d login/idle problem and that they think its a worth while trade off..........

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You know, If I was part of AMD's driver team and a read this. I'd ask myself "what the hell am I doing"

16. Tyestor

Tyestor Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 2GB
    Just got my third ever BSOD on Windows. Coincidence that they were all after I install 14.9?

The first one I can't remember the file because I did a CCleaner and lost the necessary logs for BlueScreenViewer but the error was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

The second one, same thing but I remember the file as well as the code. atikmdag.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

The above two BSODS happened on 14.9 WHQL. The third one that just happened happened on 14.9.1 BETA. I actually have the minidump for this: http://i.imgur.com/9zqevwm.png

Been using Windows 8 (now 8.1) since the preview and these three BSODs are the first I've ever had. Astounding.

17. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

I had it a moment ago. system_service_exception 0x3B win32k.sys. I'm running windows 7 x64. Unfortunately I don't have dump because I have pagefile.sys disabled. All I did was watching videos on youtube for around an hour in Google Chrome 38.0.2125.104 m (64-bit) and flash 15,0,0,189 NPAPI. Hardware acceleration disabled in chrome and enabled for flash

I had irql_not_less_or_eual bsod many when watching youtube videos or other flash videos opened in may tabs while harware acceleration for chrome was enabled. I have it disabled for some time and since then I had no irql_not_less_or_eual bsod.

My RAM is in good condition, passes memtests regularry

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  18. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    My PC is having serious problems with these drivers and the 14.9's...

After playing any videos (with or without Hardware Accell), my system starts showing thin colored horizontal lines all over the screen, and if I don't reboot it soon, it ends with a BSOD.

I even changed back my BIOS, with no success... I was scared I would have to RMA my VGA...

Gladly, I'm back using 14.8, with no such problems, which is a relief. :nerd:

Anyone else having these issues?

19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    did you update flash recently?

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Are the voltage and clocks actually 100% the same? I can't imagine how heat can increase when both of those are the same, unless GPU usage is higher for some reason.

I'm really not a fan of these kinds of posts. If you want to buy a new GPU, go for it.

The issues my friend reports with his NVIDIA GPU and drivers though makes me want to steer far away from NVIDIA. Meanwhile, I've had a pretty ok experience with AMD. Drivers aren't perfect on either side, and since I keep hearing contradicting stories from both sides, I'm leaning more towards individual experiences being pretty random.

So i'll be one of those people that'll gladly deny NVIDIA has "far superior" drivers.

I'll also say that AMD nor NVIDIA are 100% to blame when drivers appear to malfunction. The OEM of the card (XFX, GIGABYTE, PowerColor, etc) also can screw up. I guess if you have a reference card, then you can 100% blame one or the other though :p