AMD Catalyst 14.8 WHQL (14.201.1008 August 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HerrFornit, Aug 29, 2014.

1. fasor

fasor Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    yeah, i understand that now mantle is limited by my videoRAM, but AMD positioning Mantle as API that is much better than DX11, but i can play BF4(DX11) with everything maxed out except MSAA, and mantle cant give me even that (and i hoped that with mantle i will be able to add 2xMSAA), so Mantle is much worse for me, than DX11, and AMD just cheating people =)

i have 2 mantle games (BF4 and Theif) and cant play them (with maxed out settings) using mantle because of fps drops, but i can play them (with maxed out settings) using DX11. So Mantle is crap for me for that moment =)

and as i can see - 2 different games based on different engines have the same problems - so i think its a driver problem and it will be fixed sooner or later.

2. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    mantles job is not to give you better graphics,
    its job is it to brake cpu limits.

2gb vram is to less, and this will never change.

get a gpu with 3gb (or even more), or forget about mantle.

you can read about this 2gb problem here
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battl...-Teeth-Benchmarks-welche-Grafikkarte-1128858/

google translated:
    "Annoying it is for AMD owners who have only a 2-gigabyte model. The memory difficulties among Mantle still not a thing of the past. And while also Geforce cards with 2-gigabyte Complement with Ultra-Details and four times multisampling now and then have to suffer minimal Speicherschluckauf, runs mercilessly fully in the AMD counterparts of the memory under Mantle. The Nvidia GPUs recover quickly again, the tiny drops hit at most minimal in the benchmarks down. But with the Radeon cards is after little more than 30 seconds curfew: If the memory is full, bring down the frame rates in the basement and stay there for the rest of the benchmark sequence - clearly visible to the miserable minimum frame rate of R9 270X and R7 260X under Mantle. The min fps are even saved by the first, still halfway liquid Run something away.

Anyone who owns a 2-gigabyte model, should therefore continue to rely on DirectX. And who flirts with the new acquisition of a Radeon GPU and Mantle top, should definitely take the memory configuration in the eye, to our knowledge. The memory usage fell in all our previous Mantle benchmarks higher than under Direct X and the trend of the last time and the significantly better storage facilities of current consoles suggests at least that the built-in graphics card RAM in the future will be no less important."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Sounds like you are using the Silent BIOS instead of the Performance one. Check the BIOS selection switch, Performance is towards the connector bracket, Silent is towards the power connectors.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=2767&pid=4884

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Regarding your AMD/Nvidia points,
    I understand you are an AMD fan, but alot of this is just BS and I'm using an AMD system now.
    1. Both AMD and Nvidia have pretty much identical display quality provided you set both to the same level of quality/performance in their respective CP. Even if there are disparities, its usually on launch titles that have some issues, and most of the time the differences may be in gamma settings. If there is PhysX, yeah, AMD can't really run those without tanking in FPS due to CPU vs GPU acceleration but those titles are rare. However, there hasn't been any well documented "cheats" that either company employs.
    2. The amount of people that use surround and eyefinity is very small, I don't either, so I won't comment on this. I do however feel like 3 adequately large screens should be enough, and probably enough to torture any 290/GK110 GPUs.
    3. Yes, this is true, but those issues are usually not as serious or long term as AMD ones.
    4. You do know that TXAA is an option? It offers a cross between MSAA and FXAA, it isn't like you are forced to use it over the others.
    5. The general consensus is that AMDs latest drivers are also raising temperatures.
    6. Like what?

Most people here are just frustrated at AMD's slow nature of fixing important bugs, particularly DX9 corruption in many 7 series cards. Its also acknowledged that DVI black screen bugs may never be fixed as well (I personally switched to DP to mitigate it because after 1.5 years of having the 7950s, it has never been fixed). Being forced to fix these issues by changing our habits (for a time I had to disable the screen standby feature and manually turn off the monitor) or by loading in dlls, are serious issues that AMD has ignored for a few months. I'm not even complaining about edge cases here as these are replicated by everyone that has a 78XX, 79XX, 280 card in a good number of titles. Nor am I really complaining about the lack of Mantle recording. One of the MMOs I play also doesn't support dll side loading and I have to uninstall and reinstall drivers every time I want to play it (I also play Watch Dogs and BF4, so I need the newer drivers). Yes, Nvidia has its issues as well but its usually not something this large or neglected.

Price wise, Nvidia is only a little more expensive, at least in the US. You are usually looking at just a 10-40$ premium on a comparable card basis (750ti/265/760, 280x/770, 290/780/290x). There is also the debate over open air vs blower cards. IMHO, I personally prefer blowers now after using open air ones, especially multiple cards. Nvidia makes better stock coolers than AMD variants. If I was to pick a card now, that small price premium is well worth the amount of time lost trying to troubleshoot or fix common errors. Knowing that either AMD's hardware or software issues are mostly there to stay from the day you get it, I'm personally steering clear of their hardware in the meantime until they get their driver team sorted.

5. Astrix_au

Astrix_au Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX VEGA 64 Wave
    That's BF4 july 8 patch that broke it, it's fixed on CTE though :)

It broke Mantle crossfire in the July 8 patch in the vanila BF4 game, If I run one 290x it runs perfect, on CTE I can run crossfire like before!

6. Rivers23

Rivers23 Member

GPU:
    amd 7670m
    Just to chime in, it's not so here in Southeastern Europe. When I was looking for a new laptop 2 years ago, the Nvidia 610M cost the same price as the AMD 7670M, while the AMD card performs two times better. Guess what I chose. I have never had problems with it. In fact, my problems came from my intel I3 processor, they had to replace it 7 days after I bought the laptopt and it's been giving me problems this whole time nevertheless.

7. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    he is not using crossfire,
    and bf4 with latest patch running just fine on my 7950 with mantle.

8. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    It is not a driver problem, it is a hardware limitation problem.

Mantle works by taking load off the CPU (no high level DX 11 API to process) and leverages more work from the GPU (through the low level Mantle API) to give you a higher graphical output. So CPU works less, GPU works more. Just that in getting that higher performance from the GPU, Mantle may use more than 2 times as much vram as DX 11 using the same video settings.

Maybe there could be some future vram memory management tweaks for Mantle, but still expect that greater vram usage compared to DX 11 is here to stay. It is what it is.

Note - be interesting to see if the DX12 API also likes more vram just like Mantle. If I was in the market to upgrade GPUs, I would definitely make sure I got a 4Gb card minimum, just in case.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was referring to desktop cards in my post.
    Laptops are hard to compare unless everything else is the same (material, display, hard drive, etc). I do feel that Optimus may be a bit more mature than AMD's Enduro, and is a little easier to update drivers for. I'm not too sure if AMD got better since I don't have a newer platform to use, but the 6630 + Intel i5 (SB) solution was always a little finicky compared to the 640M + i5 (IVB). Both solutions however, are sometimes quite annoying due to the switching problem for media players and some lighter/older games where the detection wasn't perfect.

I'm purely speculating, but with the emphasis on more low level optimization, I believe the newer APIs (Mantle, DX12, and the next OpenGL) place much more of the burden on the studios to tweak and make sure performance is good across a large spectrum of hardware. As we know that studios are generally quite pressed for time (putting it nicely), optimization will be terrible on PCs due to consoles having unified memory.

11. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    This is the only AMD page I can find for 14.8.

Last Updates: 8/29/2014
    Article Number: RN-WINLIN-14.201.1008

AMD Catalyst™ Software for AMD Desktop APUs

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/desktop-apu-catalyst-software.aspx

Maybe AMD is waiting for after the long weekend in the States before they release 14.8 for desktop graphic cards?

FYI: I just checked the download files from the AMD URL with the download files from GURU3D and found that the files are identical.

12. atta353

atta353 New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte r290 OC 4Gb
    i can set target temp of 95C in 13.xx drivers but in any of 14.xx drivers slider on target temp is limited to 85C max, now in 14xx drivers gpu reaches 85C and drops clock to stay at 85C so it slows down where as in 13xx it doesnt drop clocks because 95C target temp is set in overdrive.
    i use DDU as standard removal tool

13. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Just curious, have anyone tried this driver in an APU yet? You know, like these drivers were actually targeted towards?
    Just because they can run on most systems doesn't mean they should and I think the title of the thread is misleading people into thinking they are official desktop drivers similar to 14.4 and expecting too much from them.
    I personally haven't tried these drivers as I'm waiting for newer drivers targeted for the desktop.

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Isn't 95c a bit too high for a gpu? I wonder if this isn't intentional from AMD.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    95°c is max temp for the 290s, not that I like to see it get anywhere near that, but have seen 93°c from mine

16. Seth-01

Seth-01 Active Member

GPU:
    VTX3D R9 290 947/1250
    With a CF of 7970 using Mantle in BF4 give me in 5/10 min an error : not enough memory and game lookup returning to windows. PC have 8 Gb of RAM.

Is this fixe in CTE ? :confused:

17. rdtmk

rdtmk New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    The Gigabyte Windforce r9 290 is set to throttle at 84 degrees from the factory. This is normal.

18. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    The GV-R929OC-4GD (factory OC model) has a 84 degrees target when using the "Silent" BIOS and a 95 degrees target using the "Performance" BIOS.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Id have thought there would have been a release this week, as the 285s are released, so they may put up a newer driver for those, than the one supplied on the disc, and/or a WHQL.

20. noil

noil Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970
    Some one already test this drivers on a Clevo P150em + amd7970M ??

Im looking for a nice drivers with nice temps!