AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC2 (14.200.1004.0 June 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thats about it tbh :)

I'll switch back to the Beta 1s of these when i get Last Light finished off (or if theres a newer one out by then, ill give that a go), as it seems to have a quick pause problem with the 14.xx sets, all other games ive tried under them run without issue.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. BoMbY

BoMbY Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X
    Installed new driver and getting greeted with:

Code:
    Application: MOM.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    Stack:
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(System.Object, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
       at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(System.String, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object, System.Object[], System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.String[])
       at ATI.ACE.MOM.EXE.MOM.Main(System.String[])

and

Code:
    Faulting application name: MOM.exe, version: 4.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x51891507
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532954fb
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000005bf8
    Faulting process id: 0xe54
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf92c0d6f1e3d3
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 14c26352-feb4-11e3-835f-ac220b8537dd
    Faulting package full name: 

nice work AMD ...

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

4. BoMbY

BoMbY Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X
    That did in fact help, but man are they bad at this, or what? NVidia can install new drivers without restart and everything is working. And I did a complete uninstall, reboot, install new driver, reboot again, and it still wasn't working with these crappy AMD stuff ...

PS: Can't even quote a post with a link. That is pretty bad as well ...

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yep, that's why DDU exists lol

You can post / quote links after 10-15 posts iirc

6. southeastblue

southeastblue Member

GPU:
    HiS IceQ 7950 3GB
    Making blanket statements that somebodies power supply is to blame without giving an educated answer is pretty dumb. What if he went and bought another power supply and still has the same problem? You would of just wasted his money! :rolleyes:

Again, his power supply with his sytem is fine. No way would a single AMD R9 290 pull more than 400w from the wall for the whole system at stock speeds, probably much less (350w) with his CPU judging from reviews of that card.

Link to his power supply here.

On the conclusions page of this review under the positives it states this...

Like I said, the power supply is not the problem. Certainly not the model/spec his power supply. It's more likely a driver issue of some kind, or faulty hardware.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Installing AMD drivers with a GTX 670 wouldn't help ;)

In all seriousness though :)

Download and run this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59745711/Visual C++ Redist Installer V30.exe

Have you fully updated Windows, including NET Framework 4.5.2?
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=42642

Install the C++ installer first, then NET Framework 4.5.2 if not already installed. After you have installed it, download this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59745711/Easy Ngen (.NET Framework) Runner v2.7z

extract it, run it, and choose option 2.

That may be beneficial for the issue you are having. Nvidia does have it's issues too, just people don't talk about them as much :). I'm guessing the AMD Catalyst overhaul I mentioned earlier will resolve issues such as these.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    No one got these? :bang:

9. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290X
    What's "Easy Ngen Runner" for? What does it do?

10. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I left my rig on idle for a half a day without any problem with these drivers installed. I have hibernation turned off and power options set to high performance and never turn off display.

11. basagre28

basagre28 Member

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080 TI
    is this compatible on windows 8 64-bit? thank's

12. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    8.1 yes, 8 no.

13. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    It force Ngen to update the native code, which is this.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6t9t5wcf(v=vs.110).aspx

By doing this, you will make sure all the .Net software like CCC is using newest native code or something like that.:)

You can check the CMD/bat script yourself, if you don't believe it.

14. BugMeister

BugMeister Member Guru

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    Originally Posted by Turban [​IMG]
    Yep... I've tried everything... DDU in safe mode, all of that...

As last resort I'll try the AHCI driver thing, but as someone noted in another thread, you can't go from AHCI to IDE if Windows was installed that way..so .. not an easy fix..

Was really hoping the a solution would come from AMD.. call me lazy :p

Hi Turban/Romulus..
    - probably more correct to say "barely sufficient"..

- fill out your specs here, and it'll do the calculations for you..

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  15. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290X
    Cool! Thanks.

It's not that I didn't believe you, I just had no idea what Ngen was. It sounded like the name of a Vietnamese boy. So I was just wondering :)

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yes, that's correct! It just saves you trying to do it manually.

17. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    lol, Microsoft sometimes having some strange program name that will misleading people. ;)

18. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290X

Thanks you two for the info.

After reading your info + linked docs + .cmd file, I was perhaps a bit foolish and went ahead and ran the "ngen executeQueuedItems" + "ngen update" from the commandline from both x32 and x64 folders before I updated .NET to 4.5.2 (I'm still on 4.5.1).

There was a massive flurry of output from all four of these runs. Looking at the output logs, there are hundreds of "Failed to...". Additionally, it appears I've had queued items going all the way back to April!

[logs attached]

Ngen.log_x32 (executeQueued + update)
    https://app.box.com/s/ebgc4fuke9ig4jf2h23u

Ngen.log_x64 (executeQueued + update)
    https://app.box.com/s/iypeiahblexcxi885f7m

Few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Is it good/bad that I ran these commands? What might the results/consequences be from doing this (good or bad)?

2. Is it good/bad that I had so many queued items from a number of months ago?

3. Have I likely broken anything from running these four commands "prematurely" (or having run it "too late")?

4. What exactly are these items that are queued? What's getting queued, in general? Why? What does "update" do? I'm unversed in .NET!

5. In the future, when should you typically run these four commands (or using the "Easy Ngen.cmd")? Regularly? After installing/uninstalling a .NET app? After AMD driver installs/uninstalls?

My apologies -- I'm unversed in .NET and still not fully clear what Ngen does, what it's for, and what's going on. From reading what you guys shared, it seems that it's executing queued "tasks" (I don't understand what these tasks actually are), seeming to create some type of image/file/module that other .NET programs will rely on in the future rather than each program having to re-compile it "live" for itself. But maybe I'm still understanding this wrong.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The errors are fine and normal, believe it or not! It's okay that you run it on 4.5.1, you can simply run it again on 4.5.2. The statement that some errors may occur is at the beginning of the process, it probably disappears too quickly for you to see it (again, it is normal!).

The queued items issue is quite normal as well, as the idea is that when queued they update in the background when the system idle. Quite often though it doesn't run, and doesn't update when necessary such as when you update NET Framework. In any case, it's safe to run, and it should be run after any NET Framework updates (sometimes it wouldn't be necessary, but no harm in doing so). Going from 4.5.1 --> 4.5.2 it should be run with option 2.

I should point out that you do not need to run option 1 if you are using option 2. Option 1 just runs the stuff that's in the queue, option 2 recompiles every target including those in the queue.

I just noticed I hadn't updated the weblink in it. I'll also update the information with a bit better an explanation. I'll do that after watching the football (AFL).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  20. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    Now running 13.301 whql, no problem (no black screen/freezing/hanging) at all for the last 24 hours.

So I can safely say that all drivers after 13.x don't work on my system, even using DDU and all.

At least is seems like my card isn't faulty. And that my PSU is fine for the job.