AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta v1.0 (14.200.0 May 23)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by spectatorx, May 27, 2014.

1. Blacklash

Blacklash Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 470 4Gb
    It's come to my attention if I set AB's UnofficialOverclockingMode to 2, it will force the clock I apply to be run constantly.

I was getting lag in some narrow tunnels in Skyrim's dungeons due to my card dropping down to 22%; doing the above squashed it.

So this might be worth trying if you're getting lag because your card is dropping low in some instances in some games.

Now, I've no complaints with 14.6.

On another note these drivers have been fine for me in Crysis 3 and Watch_Dogs.

I run Crysis 3 @ 1920x1200 with VH settings and SMAA Medium 2XT applied, min FPS in that title is 45-47.

I run Watch_Dogs @ 1920x1200 with DOF, motion blur and in game vsync disabled. Other than that, all settings are maxed with SMAA applied.
    It sometimes drops to 39FPS when it streams however it doesn't "stutter". I run it off of a Samsung SSD 830 so that may help.

I only run 1090|1500 in Skyrim, more isn't need for 1920x1200 in that title. Heck, I could probably just lock it @ stock and do fine.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 280X 3GB
    Monitor won't turn on

This 14.6 driver works great for me in BF4 and other games. However, my monitor won't turn back on after it goes to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. I have to reboot my PC to turn it back on. Does anyone else have this problem?

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I get nearly 3FPS higher with memory going from 1400mhz to 1575mhz in sleeping dogs with every setting cranked to max

http://imgur.com/WLqEXdD,4McR1D2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  4. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Yeah, as if 3fps was going to help. :3eyes:

5. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds marginal to me

6. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    If he was having 27fps (or 57) and after oc it is 30fps (or 60) then yes it helps to archieve smooth gameplay lol

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I don't expect gains to be much at all on typical single-monitor setups, but what about Eyefinity with 3 or even 6 screens?

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah ofc, because 50fps to 53fps is like a whole new level right? and well outside any margin of error....

LOL

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Well on 7900s memory oc wont give you many fps due already high bandwith. Core on the other hand...

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    In my old 4770, memory OC would give a good amount of FPS, as it was quite memory bottlenecked.

But in most cards it does not work a ****.

Also, talk in percentages, 3fps is ****, it can be 40% more performance or 10% :p, in that case, it's 5%, which is not so bad, many people pay 100€ just for that.

11. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    I mostly use my cards for mining, I own the Sapphire HD 7950 & the HD 7850 Dual-X cards. I do game from time to time, whenever I have the chance. And what I noticed is, since the introduction of the 14.X series of drivers, whenever I'm trying to play a video file that uses DXVA (LAV) while mining, it crashes. However, this was not present in 13.12 drivers, which I can vouch for because I've switched the drivers back and forth. The gaming performance seems nice, but I noticed a slight stuttering that happens randomly. The drivers were a fresh install.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Somethings up here, think my cards on its way out or summit, just tried Crysis 2, and the performance just started to plummet, down to frames in the 20s, where before, 60 all the time. :confused:

Tried it with these drivers before, when id just put them on, and it was fine, so may not be a driver prob.

Will have to do some more testing, and using other drivers, find out whats going on, very odd.

EDIT: Weird, was fine after a fired it up again after a reboot, stuck at 60 again.

Wonder if its got something to do with Rage and its texture caching thing, as id been on that before, will have to test it, so i'll bang rage on, then Crysis 2 again, see what happens.

EDIT: Well panics over, was D3DOverrider, turned it off, booted up Crysis 2 again, and frames plummeted down to the 20s again, so quit out of it back to desky, popped D3D back on, and boom, Crysis 2 stuck back at 60 again, must be something to do with having the Triple Buffering forced on in D3D, all i can think off, as all i use it for now, and i had to turn it off before, as Rage and Grid 2 don't like it, and id played them before, phew! :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  13. Valagard

Valagard Guest

>On a forum where people overclock the crap out of their videocards for the most performance
    >Show that overclocking ram from 1400 to 1575 nets me 5% more performance, in the case of sleeping dogs this is every setting cranked to absolute max, so 3FPS extra is nothing to sneeze at
    >"Pfft! That's nothing? Why bother overclocking?"

Really? Is this the mentality we're taking now?

"God, you only got 5% performance, don't bother overclocking for just 5%!"

Maybe I came to the wrong forums? ;D

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I see what you're saying.. but 3 frames is not 5%.

15. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    So with PvZ Garden Warfare being released tomorrow, should we expect a new driver release as well?, after all this is a Mantle title.

16. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    one may not be needed

Its hardly a demanding title

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
  18. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    I thought it was released on the 27th of June?

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I thought mantle was suppose to remove the need for drivers and make easier to get performance without updating the driver per game.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It's closer to the GPU but it still needs drivers to work, the core Mantle files are distributed and updated with the Catalyst display drivers.