AMD Catalyst 14.4 WHQL (14.100.0.0 April 17)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Apr 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I would rather let them take a week or so more to actually bring us the mantle optimization for older GCN 1.0. I know mantle works good but I think it could do better. and also crossfire for other mantle games like thief and starswarm.

2. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    lol, Optimization for GCN 1.0, yea, Do you really think that they will fix it in new driver (14.5) if they don't fix it since 5+ Months? :sleep2: They give **** about older cards.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    Sorry, but this is bollocks. They have re-branded GCN 1.0 in several 2013 products. If you launch a 2013 product and announce little new things like Mantle alongside with, you have to support it.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Sometimes I don't know if it's AMD or the developers. Battlefield 4 is working better than with dx12 but i think i have to wait and see when I can run crossfire again

5. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    When i install Catalyst 14.4 there has been an error at the end of installing it.
    I dont know what its related to as everything seems fine. I got crossfire working and my games seem to run fine so far.

My suspicion is the AMD rapture utility is the reason for the error. It tries to finish the rapture utility after drivers say its complete install.

I've tried installing it twice. DDU both times. get an error upon finish install.

you know that annoying hey theres an error during install and you look at the notes and everything says success even though it there is some sort of error.
    Well both times this occurred. Now Im repeating myself.

6. kretex

kretex Member

GPU:
    HD 7700 Series 2Gb
    fresh install windows 8.1 pro 64bit AMD Catalyst 14.4 WHQL not instaled properly to detect the display adapter :(( apu a8 + hd 6670

7. cw_mike

cw_mike New Member

GPU:
    7970 Ghz Toxic 6Gb X-Fire
    I tweeted @AMD_roy

Here is the question:

Are the updates for GCN 1.0 Cards for Mantle Still inbound? They were promised 2 drivers ago :) I have 2 x 7970 ready to stretch...

Response:

the current drivers support GCN....

My Response:

Granted but not optimized, seeing frames drop in bf4 from 120 to 45 on mantle and microstuttering. Thoughts?

Response : NOTHING... nada zip...

Not holding out for the optimizations promised, Wonder if Dice and AMD are run by the same management company:

Company Policy 1: Some promises do not need to be delivered.

8. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Have u tried these settings on BF4? Add those lines to user.cfg at bf4.exe location.

thread.processorcount 6
    thread.maxprocessorcount 6
    thread.minfreeprocessorcount 0
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 1
    RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 1

9. cw_mike

cw_mike New Member

GPU:
    7970 Ghz Toxic 6Gb X-Fire
    Thanks, Will give it a go and report back, Much appreciated

I had RenderAheadLimit set to 0, which works fine for DirectX.

10. stdavidchen

stdavidchen Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Got the first BSOD with 14.4 for my R9 290 when playing Dark Soul II... other games seem all right so far... will keep trying... suspecting game problem other than driver problem.

11. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ive seen no promises made by amd for CGN 1.0 other than optimizations are coming at a later date.

CGN 1.0 works fine with mantle, they just arent fully optimized.

12. Alph4Dawg

Alph4Dawg Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC
    Works fine my ass.
    14.2 BETA 1.3 works fine, with every other driver game freezes and crashes 'BF4 has stopped working' immediately on launch with Mantle renderer enabled.
    Can't even play it, no matter what I do.

13. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ive seen lots of people with CGN 1.0 cards that have no problems with mantle.

Ive also seen lots of people with CGN 1.1 cards that have lots of problems

So it goes both ways.

Doesnt change may statement that AMD has made no promises as to when 1.0 optimizations will be released.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  14. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX R9 295x2
    Did the usual uninstall/install process:

Removed all of my CCC presets

Disabled the Eyefinity Group in CCC

Reset the CCC to defaults

Ran the uninstaller for all AMD driver software (I run an Intel system) in Programs and Features

Rebooted into Safemode

Ran Driver Fusion and Cleaned all of the things it found for AMD under Analyze

Rebooted to Windows 7

Installed 14.4 WHQL and rebooted

Did the regedit to set enableULPS to 0

Rebooted

Set back up all of my monitor settings, disabled the graphics card audio in CCC/Windows sound control panel, enabled the Eyefinity group, turned off many of the enhanced video features except for Accelerated Video conversion and brighter whites/deblocking, set back up and saved my presets in CCC.

All is working great here! Tested with 3D Mark 11, latest 3D Mark in Steam, Star Swarm with Mantle, Skyrim, IL-2: 1946, Doom 3, Space Engineers, World of Tanks, Fighter Squadron: SDOE, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Lomac: Flaming Cliffs (I still can't force vsync on with this game), Supreme Commander, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, MS Flightsim X, Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and many other games. Still more testing to be done! I've yet to try Mafia II, Dead Island, Just Cause 2, BF3, latest Hitman, Farcry 3, and any of the Half-Life series/Source engine games.

I will say DX9 games behave a lot more smoothly, especially Skyrim and MS Flightsim X without DX10 Preview enabled.

I'm NOT running any utilities like D3DOverrider or Afterburner.

I will say the CCC Video tab blackout bug still occurs... And I get tearing on my non primary 3rd screen in Eyefinity still (Running 2 mini-DP connected and 1 HDMI connected LED screens).

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  15. novus92

novus92 New Member

GPU:
    R9 290 Gigabyte Windforce
    I'm getting a lot of driver crashes, not BSODs, with this driver.

I'm not sure whats worse, as driver crashes take a long time to recover.

I never got driver crashes with the previous betas.

16. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    BSODs are gone since I updated my VGA BIOS. Take a look at yours.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Star Swarm and Thief worked fine on my 7850 last I checked. Never tried BF4 yet, but if it was as bad as people here claim, I'm assuming AMD isn't the blame (since the first two things work fine).

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, many games have used the same DX11 or DX9, yet there are still specific driver-related problems with most games.
    Never discount anyone out.

19. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    Just discovered something odd.... MSI Afterburner never shows a clock above 470MHz even though I overclocked my card to 1Ghz. Played Battlefield 4 and it runs fine, everything maxed, so I guess clocks are going fine...

Anyone with the same issue?

20. Strike105X

Strike105X Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Hi i have a question i haven't updated my drivers in a while since i didn't really need to but i noticed that in the latest oficial pacakge it states:

I'm planing to do a clean install of windows 7 do i need to grab the WDM drivers from somewhere ?