AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta 1.0 (13.350.1005 March 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    So since my I lost my motherboard and had to go back to a weaker board and thus running 1 card. I though mantle was great but oh my word was i wrong. I went backto directx and noticed I get better FPS although mantle was still smooth Directx just feels better to me and the graphics on mantle is so stupid. Everything looks washed out like there is no lighting on objects etc etc. I get this feeling mantle is just weaker graphics nothing else. Well i only tested BF4. Will compare thief this weekend.

Anyone else noticed this. I'm playing with Directx now

2. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I've literally lost about 20fps after the new BF4 update + 14.3 + mantle.

Getting terrible fps drops too, it drops randomly all the way down to 40 and it spikes up again.

I just hope that I don't have to wait another month or so for a fix for that, what a mess.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 1. Try it.

4. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    yes, for multigpu is a temporary fix ATM

then, who said that they couldn't release a WHQL but even another beta at the same time? sometimes they already did something like this...
    anyway, here a single Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    first of all
    1) i don't like the "powertune" which at stock (not idle, STOCK OC) it forces the GPU to drop the clocks and even with a powerlimit to 50% it sometimes drops...less but still, regardless of the temp
    so i just can't set a manual fan speed or fan curve to do what i want... but i'm forced to use Afterburner to fix the clocks while playing (without powerplay support) and if you go over 1100/1400 it comes back to drop anyhow...

2) some games, above all Unreal Engine 3, still present stuttering and frame drops with AMD... (Bioshock infinite, Batman AO, Thief sometimes, even with Mantle, such a little freeze every now and then....and others)
    COD Ghosts is not smooth...Tomb Raider sometimes slows down (light freeze)
    the only real smooth game to me is BF4 in Mantle... but even that has abnormal frame drops randomly

3) the gpu usage in many games is really fluctuating in a weird way and Vsync ON even worse

i see the potential of this GPU but to me drivers and optimizations lack of quality... good hardware is not enough, software sometimes is more important... so they should improve DX performance and framerate/frametime consistency at first...and then even Mantle
    unfortunately don't know how Unreal Engine 4 will behave with AMD, hope no issues...but doubtful, nowhere i find speed comparisons, texture loading/streaming etc... between UE3 and UE4...they only speak about effects and easier implementation for devs
    Frostbite 3 and Cryengine no more issues? ...which is something but maybe not enough...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

5. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I've tried it, it stopped the frame drops, but I'm still getting 20 or so less fps.

Very playable though, thanks!

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I had a 3D core clock bug in these, where it would just randomly go to full core clock and stick, and also a weird hitch, pause every so often while gaming.

If they don't fix those bugs by the finals, i'll be sticking with the 13.12s :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    Removing the sound card did not resolve my issue.
    Moving the card to my second pcie 16x slot did not resolve the issue.

Anyone got an r9 290 work with a z68/nf200 chipset? Pumping more volts through the controller doesn't seem to help either.

This would be so much easier if the error code was not a custom one with little information.

8. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    R290 4gb
    There is also very high inputlag with mantle, as if vsync is on but it isn't.
    DX11 is ok. I wonder why they don't test these basic things before they release a patch.

For me mantle is currently not usuable, while the last time i tested it with crossfire it worked perfectly. BF4 was one if the very few games which worked good actually.

Oh well... I'm already starting to regret giving these R9 290's in crossfire another try.

9. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    So it is a game patch but it is AMD's fault?

10. Remedy

Remedy Member

GPU:
    404 Error on Amd Beta drivers page, maybe a new driver?.....

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  12. Remedy

Remedy Member

GPU:
  13. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    Im getting some kind of flickering when surfing with chrome since a few days...is like for a fraction of a second there are many thin horizontal blue lines in screen...it does it at certain pages and seem to go after y move the mouse or scroll or change page or something like that...I guess this is the flickering problem I have been reading here but not sure because I have never ever had this issue until now...games and all that works fine.

14. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    It's almost like AMD hides the trash under the rug until a game finds it out eventually.

15. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    It's almost like AMD hides the trash under the rug until a game finds it out eventually.

World of Warcraft for example, there's a nasty stuttering/performance loss when using the 290's, It's been there since the card was launched, people have been complaining to Blizzard and AMD since but no answer from them.

I gotta say this was the most troublesome upgrade I've ever done, since I bought my cards I spend more time troubleshooting issues than enjoying the games :/

Edit: Oops, meant to edit the post above.

16. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    Yeah I've tracked mine down to some kind of conflict between the drivers and my system when a 290 is present. I literally just pulled the 290 out and stuck in my 7970, back to rock solid stability.
    I have to buy a new motherboard... I don't want to spend the money. Especially on a dead socket.

Spend £75 on a new mobo or return the 290 and reclaim my £280...

17. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Hm..have you tried DDU using the option New video card? Or even a new windows install?

Or maybe your PCI-E is running at a slow speed and the 290 don't like it? Have you tried a different GPU bios?

I had a similar problem after flashing one of my cards. Even after DDU+ driver install it would stubbornly stay stuck in x4 mode.
    I thought that it was the card so I kept removing it and installing it again, nothing. It turned up that it was a bad flash (even thought it seemed successful) I just flash it again and it worked.

18. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    I haven't used ddu but I've used ccleaner and the amd driver cleaner then manually checked nothing was left.
    My PCIE was at 100Mhz and I tried upping the PCH and System agent voltage, I also tried completely stock bios settings.
    I tried both GPU bios which came with the card.
    I bought a 290x on release and I had exactly the same issues.

I found a few other people with my motherboard which have the same issue as me, one of them reported it to gigabyte and they couldn't figure out what it was... I think they mentioned something about the board not being UEFI compatible which shouldn't matter as the MSI card I have said it should support non UEFI BIOS.

I did consider upping the bus from 100MHz but I didn't want to screw with the rest of my setup.
    The last thing I was going to attempt was a cpu microcode update which is injected into BIOS firmware. I don't think I can be bothered now I have my 7970 back in.

19. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Try DDU using the "installing new video card" option.. maybe there's traces of your old card causing some instability.

20. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    I honestly don't think that will resolve the issue, when I had the 290x I changed from win 7 64 to win 8 64 without putting the 7970 in. Same issue.
    After spending so much time on this already I would rather not cause more issues by using DDU.