AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent

[​IMG]
    Releasedate you say?

2. kaliyama

kaliyama Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290x
    Sorry you're in this position Matt. It's hard to do PR for a product when your back end people can't deliver the product. I don't know if i'm representative as an enthusiast consumer, but I'm currently staring at a freesync monitor I just bought to be ready for today and debating returning it to newegg and going to green team. As gross as their anticompetitive, anti-consumer approach to gsync is, at least it works.

I'm considering that not because of what you describe in general terms as a "short" delay, but that it's a really, really bad sign that your dev team is finding release-stopping issues in the afternoon of release day. That generally means that your software dev process is really broken. How many more issues have slipped past them in the rush to release it somewhat-on-time? I am now expecting many months of driver issues and crossfire issues before everything is going smoothly.

The tough thing for you is that no matter how good you are at messaging, you won't be able to restore credibility for whatever percentage of people who have had their confidence shaken by this. All you can do is crack the whip on the dev team to get them to release a quality product on time. So good luck with that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I understand that and am sorry for you to be in this situation. Obviously it's far from ideal, but believe me it is never our intention to mislead people. We'd never hold back a driver unless we considered it absolutely essential to do so.

I don't anticapte a long wait, so if i could ask for a little more patience in the very short term then I'm sure before long you will have a gaming experience worthy of the wait imposed on you.

4. kaliyama

kaliyama Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290x
    I hope I didn't convey impatience. I'm not really going to be using anything until the weekend. And because AMD isn't supporting crossfire until some unspecified point in the future, I won't really be using it until you fully support freesync.

I was trying to give you some free focus grouping and suggest that your real job won't be handling this delay, which is only going to affect the fraction of consumers who are early adopters on freesync.

The real task is going to be demonstrating, on an ongoing basis, that this botched implementation (in that you let the freesync hardware get released a week before the drivers) isn't representative of AMD's dev team and that AMD isn't going to return to its old habits of offering abysmal driver support.

5. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Just to be clear.. Will those ''new'' drivers which will be released next week will be the same as 14 March for the ''press drivers''??

6. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Fair enough. In that case thanks for your feedback, it will be taken onboard.

I don't anticipate a long delay before we officially release these drivers.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Matt, the one who came up with the idea of this kind of driver release, that after 3 months we are getting a beta and not a whql driver should be fired because he or she is complete idiot and should not be in charge. fire his or hers ass

Amd is sinking not in therm of money or innovation but in the ways of public perception that u are incompetent to make a driver at all.. Three months of nothing is kinda proving that, it is really hard to justify or to reccomend amd cards to anyone because of the apparent lack of drivers.. I am having a hard time sticking with amd even though i am amd user for over a decade now.. On the other hand your main competitor Nvidia, that u need to catch up btw is giving a new driver every 2 months or so..

U are losing amd big time with this driver release crap, get your head out of your ass and catch up to nvidia with quality and speediness of your driver release...

if this continues my next cards will be nvidia pascal, i don't care about how the 390x is a bad ass card when on the software front which btw is more important then hardware i might add, amd basically suck ass.. in 2015

I apologize for the usage of some bad words, but some ppl at amd deserve it

8. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Matt don't be sorry with that, but we in the end we are all curious too about the changelog of this drivers.

So we can expect profiles for CFX, freesync support and more VSR supported GPUs, right?

Are there improvements in framerate/frametimes in many games?
    Did amd improved their overhead on the CPU side on their drivers in this 15.3?

Having a changelog could really help now with the loss of patience...
    I'm pretty sure you are not going to reply this or giving the answer for all of this, maybe because its NDA, but its getting really hard to trust amd, which is very pity because you have good cards, i do know that R* 3** going to be awesome, but with the drivers and support its very hard to continue to support you buying stuff.

Sorry Matt... :|
    I'm really sad with this, not because of the experience that i'm getting right now, but with a lot of users having problems due to the lack of support and the actual AMD marketshare.
    Its really sad and disappointing seeing so many people go away to the green side ;(
    But they are right, and many others will go, same as me if AMD driver team don't improve the things.

Well its night time, need to work tomorrow, going to sleep very sad indeed.

9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I know three months is a long time, this will not be the norm from hereon in. It will be once a month, (or thereabouts) same as last year for a normal AMD driver release. Sometimes it may be slightly longer or slightly shorter.

We have a lot of Crossfire improvements coming, due to NDA i cannot go into specifics yet but as soon as we officially release the drivers i will post all the details here. I understand this is annoying for end users, but it is what it is.

10. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    AMD is a company which unfortunately does not comply with anything, does not have time for anything and is always delay, which is nothing of a professional company.

AMD is a crappy company, I never like this company because of this, I always prefer INTEL and ATI graphics card, unfortunately belongs to AMD.
    I miss ATI as company, every month with a new driver and better support.
    No more crossfire for me, AMD not give support for multi GPU.
    Nvidia is not a option because I hate this company, instable and crappy drivers.

Time for another graphics card company

11. I'm hoping it's the last phase of the framepacing improvements that include Direct3D 9 and OpenGL support.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Matt i beg u don't make me switch to nvidia after 10 years of pain and suffering with ati :)

My suggestion and hope is that u go public on twitter and state that amd is going back to its normal weekly beta release and a new whql every month or so..

U know how the internet can be an evil place, now i am reasonable well in this moment kind of mad, now just imagine those nvidia trolls bashing amd on every turn and ppl believe in that crap...

Spread the message that amd is committed to bring a whql every 2 months or so, ppl need to be reassured, and some nvidia trolls to be silenced

13. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe

All right Matt thanks, i just hope your team don't make it longer than Tuesday. Which is the normal timeline of releases your team usually have.

I'm not sure how things work in there, but try to convince your superiors, like SU or how is responsible to invest in more people for driver team, talented people.
    Your team really needs to do some research and study what is going wrong there.
    Maybe its not even the driver team but the system analysis team that can't come with good functional requirements on the paper to the driver team.

i'm pretty sure amd is not full of Money to pay for a lot of workers now, but like i said, if this continue this way, its going to be worse than not paying the salary for more people to work on the drivers, that would maintain/create loyal users for your brand.

My personnal suggestion here.
    Bring back the monthly drivers... or at least 2 months release interval for the stable.
    And one beta per month or when its needed.

Bring back the Cap releases for updating profiles that auto-download within the montly and beta drivers...

I guess most people want this in the priority #1 than vsr, freesync or any other thing right now.

14. dante_til

dante_til Guest

GPU:
    trifire 7970
    I dont post much, as can be seen from my profile.
    But as someone who has invested a lot of my hard earned money in AMD hardware and embraced their Crossfire technology. I find it disappointing that a company announces a release date after 3 mths of nothing and then doesn't deliver! Working in the IT industry I know that S**t happens but don't announce specific dates and then don't produce the goods :)

But as they say
    'First World Problems'

:)

15. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    What are you talking about??
    It´s not about silencing trolls, the people here are mostly no nvidia trolls, they are AMD customers, that are justified angry, because they feel f***ed.
    Every week a beta driver? really?? :D :D

16. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Unless they get some massively new management or philosophy to how they do things (not likely), I'm in the same boat. I'm ultimately satisfied with my purchase (A $150 280X!), but I wish I could of afforded an Nvidia card instead.

Ignoring all the other problems (and for me, there's many), Nvidia is just too in bed with developers, financially, and that sucks, really, but it is what it is.

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    if i remember correctly amd had betas every week or two weeks, when they had that monthly driver release schedule

and about the trolls i meant other forums, ign and such.. it is hard to argue or debate with them, if u have nothing to go on

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    um..

no

one WHQL a month.

occasionally a couple hot fixes in the same month.

They switched to one beta a month instead, and one WHQL per quarter.

It was too much of a pain to maintain the code branches monthly after WHQL submission and regression bugs were sneaking in.

This is the first time in YEARS the haven't had a beta or whql each month.

19. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    15.3 was supposed to fix crossfire problems for FarCry 4 but only that. But to my dismay they still didn't fix jack **** OMG :puke2: .I can confirm there are crossfire profiles but none of it works ,only AFR Friendly works like it did with Omega.

20. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    It´s all about enviousness. If they would see something nice on the red side that they don´t see on their green one, they´d start to s*** on their own lawn, instead of trolling.

Problem is, that AMD gives nvidia nothing to be envious about at the moment. So AMD´s lawn is fertilized very efficient at the moment.