AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. TheGivingTree

TheGivingTree Active Member

So let me see if I understand correctly. Even though I have a 290x, and a 144hz monitor, freesync will still be completely useless unless I have a specific monitor made to run freesync?

Can I buy a chip or something to add into my monitor like with gsync at least? Already spent hundreds on this, don't have the income to spend even more money on another monitor when I just got one 3 months ago.

2. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    New Monitor needed. The chip for FreeSync AKA Adaptive-sync is in the DisplayPort.. Unlike Gsync that has a CHIP like module

3. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    Yup... 3 month for new driver this is crazy! i'm done with AMD Gpus. Probably moving to Nvidia or back to consoles

4. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Ok, so we can expect never to see you in this thread again, correct ?

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I love how folk are completely neglecting to mention how the Omega driver set are one of the best AMD has ever released and many of us myself included have been loving using them those last 3 months. My gaming has never performed better so I'm far from feeling the desperate need to replace them anytime soon unlike some I could mention.

Looks like a name change is in order too.

6. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    There was enough time to be angry (for a reason). Now let´s just wait 2 more days and see what they´ve done the last months.
    If the result justifies the time spent I´m satisfied.
    (If not, you won´t be the only one to close the AMD-chapter...)

@stone gargoyle:

As I said, that´s quite easy to say, as long as you´re no crossfire user.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Of course not; gotta keep returning to future driver threads and keep complaining to make sure the internet knows and cares about your wrath :p

Pretty sure repeat offenders are just masochists. If AMD displeases you that much, then go swap your GPU, it's not hard (using the "oh I'm waiting for the next GPU release" is a pretty weak excuse most of the time).

Has Crossfire support gone downhill that much since Omega driver?

Was mentioned every now and then on previous driver releases; but now all of a sudden it's a big topic for a new driver. I'm thinking people are just grasping at any reason to demand a new driver :p

(also the usual bit of how it's silly to expect drivers to fix game developer's mistakes and etc)

8. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    It has mostly to do with crossfire profiles. They (AMD) already stated that they have one for Dying Light, Far Cry 4, and improvements for Assassins Creed Unity. True: these games had (or still have) some optimization issues from the game developers part, but sometimes even the best optimized games need a crossfire profile for it to work properly. For myself, I am still waiting for a crossfire profile for Ryse: Son of Rome, a really optimized game, and a game on the CryEngine 3, of which all the games that released before Ryse have had Crossfire support. Four months waiting (the Omega drivers had been compiled relatively long before the actual releasedate, I have been told) for maxmimum performance for both the cards you bought for more performance is quite a long time. :)

Non the less, I cant wait for the improvements they made!

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Funny how every single one of those games you mentioned released with heavy performance issues on all GPU's and some needed several large patches. This was to become playable either on AMD specific gpu's or Nvidia also btw.

Games are rushed out the door and people instantly lay far too much blame on poor driver support. The Omega driver has made every game I've played the last 3 months feel like it had some form of performance boost while two of the three games listed above currently remain uninstalled until they are fixed properly.

AMD/Nvidia can only serve to improve what they are given to work with in the first place and with the state of how the vast majority of games are released these days I truly don't envy them whatsoever.

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I only agree to half what you say. Not having crossfire support is actually making things worse. You feel like you've wasted money on something unusable. Game devs still need to optimize games better. look at the latest patch for bf4. Made my performance so much better. Also dying light runs better and imagine with proper crossfire profile my fps will skyrocket now

11. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    There hardly has been any crossfire profile in the past 9 months. No, omega didn't make it worse, it just ignored enthousiasts that paid double further. Nonetheless, if things are changing now, i'm okay with that

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I feel exactly the same way with Eyefinity :p Bought 2 extra monitors thinking all my games would look awesome with them; and in the end only 2 games I play really work with it; one requiring a 3rd-party program.

Although in Eyefinity's case; I'm pretty sure all the blame falls on the game developers not implementing it (AMD has a Eyefinity SDK apparently; but you don't even need to implement it; all you need to do is to make sure your game's FOV is adjustable, that you have a wide camera view (to avoid fish-eye), and that your HUD is adjustable or centered).

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    It's almost the 19th :D

14. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Hehe, so, you see, i got both.
    1: Game released.
    2: won´t play, if it has no proper eyefinity support.
    3: if it has, i´d like to ´play with high settings and solid 50-60fps.
    results in 4 -> waiting for cfx-profile.
    5: before was gamer -no i´m "waiter" :D :D

Things is: Games with proper Multimonitor support DO look&feel awesome, especially when the rest of the room is dark... look at dying light...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  15. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    The most anticipated driver of all time for me.

16. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    True, that is why I also stated that it is already confirmed here on this forum that there is a crossfire profile ready and waiting for release for every one of those games. For some games they need to wait for patches from the game developers, on this point I agree with you, a lot of games need patching from the game developers side. But they already have crossfire fixed for al the games mentioned above, we just have to wait for the driver release. Also, it is not really fixing someone else's game, it is enabling crossfire support, with few custom options to make it work flawlessly. Only a year ago, we got crossfire profiles after only a few weeks after a game launched. Now, with the quarterly releasing of drivers, we are waiting for relatively small tweaks from AMD.

I hope they go back to some form of the CAPS, and I think they will, as they also know that this isn't optimal for owners of dual video cards.

17. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    Correct.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Welcome back :)

19. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    You just make me laugh LOL

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well i am expecting with these new opegas in 2 days the following. :

VSR tweaks : let people select what ever resolution they want if it does not work it will say so when they try to apply it. for instance 4k or for 29" ultra wide monitors 3440x1440 aspect ratio, can be done with CRU so why not through catylist ?
    or some form of manual mode to apply the resolution you want that you know works.

------------------------

Crossfire profiles for all the games that have been released in this past 3 months.

better optimization, or a change of look to the CCC UI.
    Direct X 12 full compatibility with R series cards.

and anything else i have forgotten lol