AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    I really don't get the people with older hardware complaining, yes you're entitled to support up to a point as it is so anywhere in the technology sector but you should already know that's the game in this field, and that point is where it won't hinder a company's progress.

I mean the technology sector has ALWAYS been about constantly building for the future, and it's ruthless in the sense of it leaves behind very quickly what would be considered still new things in other sectors. If you're a person that's in this game, this is something you should already know you were getting yourself into when you spend money on electronics.
    And specifically right now is especially crucial because it's one of the largest jumps in performance we've seen in many years. Do we all want AMD to spend time making sure cards built years ago are compatible with the newest technology that's coming out next year. Because by then, even today's friggin cards will start being dated. Some of you guys need to get real.

If you still don't get it, then one of the many analogies I could use and here's a simple one, it's like me still owning a 2010 Toyota and then complaining I'm not getting the same software update in my navigation that the 2015's are getting. And I'm sitting there being ignorant to the fact that it's a different generation model, not just in body type but also with internals as well such as hardware and new software.

Yea there's a lot of details I neglected but there's no point, I just wanted to get a simple point across. Because I'm trying to get it to people who can't get a simple idea of how things have always worked when it comes to this particular field through their head.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    You have failed to account for people's infinite capacity for self-entitlement.

xD

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    This is a driver thread and people are complaining about lack of drivers (for all AMD GPU's). A car isn't really comparable to a GPU.
    We want AMD to focus on something...

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Hes talking about people complaining they arent getting VSR or Freesync.

read back a few pages.

5. brunopita

brunopita Banned

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    So I don't get Freeseync, well, I think it's just gimmick anyway. As VSR. WTF I need new drivers anyway.

6. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    You mean the only reason anyone cares about freesync?

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Good for you, but my 7970 still plays everything I throw at it at 1080p, usually at max settings, and at 60fps on top. I am not interested at changing it for some time still, and support should be there. That used to be a top product just 2 years ago, and a top mid range product less than a freakin' year ago.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I'm not sure if it's the case; but unless FreeSync will eliminate all and any input latency compared to just having framerate unrestricted currently, I don't care about it for gaming (the FAQ says "improved input latency", not comparable or better). I barely notice tearing.

Normal desktop usage and video playback however; yeah that'd be nice.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is directly from AMD:

AMD FreeSync™ technology is what gamers have been waiting for – a solution that eliminates screen tearing without all the usual lag and latency.
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync#about

Blue and Red is your imagination

EDIT: Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.
    No of course all latency can not be eliminated. Also, AMD is comparing it with Vsync ON

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  10. TheGivingTree

TheGivingTree Active Member

So let me see if I understand correctly. Even though I have a 290x, and a 144hz monitor, freesync will still be completely useless unless I have a specific monitor made to run freesync?

Can I buy a chip or something to add into my monitor like with gsync at least? Already spent hundreds on this, don't have the income to spend even more money on another monitor when I just got one 3 months ago.

11. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    New Monitor needed. The chip for FreeSync AKA Adaptive-sync is in the DisplayPort.. Unlike Gsync that has a CHIP like module

12. AmD6000

AmD6000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    Yup... 3 month for new driver this is crazy! i'm done with AMD Gpus. Probably moving to Nvidia or back to consoles

13. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    Ok, so we can expect never to see you in this thread again, correct ?

14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I love how folk are completely neglecting to mention how the Omega driver set are one of the best AMD has ever released and many of us myself included have been loving using them those last 3 months. My gaming has never performed better so I'm far from feeling the desperate need to replace them anytime soon unlike some I could mention.

Looks like a name change is in order too.

15. klaupe

klaupe Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    There was enough time to be angry (for a reason). Now let´s just wait 2 more days and see what they´ve done the last months.
    If the result justifies the time spent I´m satisfied.
    (If not, you won´t be the only one to close the AMD-chapter...)

@stone gargoyle:

As I said, that´s quite easy to say, as long as you´re no crossfire user.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Of course not; gotta keep returning to future driver threads and keep complaining to make sure the internet knows and cares about your wrath :p

Pretty sure repeat offenders are just masochists. If AMD displeases you that much, then go swap your GPU, it's not hard (using the "oh I'm waiting for the next GPU release" is a pretty weak excuse most of the time).

Has Crossfire support gone downhill that much since Omega driver?

Was mentioned every now and then on previous driver releases; but now all of a sudden it's a big topic for a new driver. I'm thinking people are just grasping at any reason to demand a new driver :p

(also the usual bit of how it's silly to expect drivers to fix game developer's mistakes and etc)

17. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    It has mostly to do with crossfire profiles. They (AMD) already stated that they have one for Dying Light, Far Cry 4, and improvements for Assassins Creed Unity. True: these games had (or still have) some optimization issues from the game developers part, but sometimes even the best optimized games need a crossfire profile for it to work properly. For myself, I am still waiting for a crossfire profile for Ryse: Son of Rome, a really optimized game, and a game on the CryEngine 3, of which all the games that released before Ryse have had Crossfire support. Four months waiting (the Omega drivers had been compiled relatively long before the actual releasedate, I have been told) for maxmimum performance for both the cards you bought for more performance is quite a long time. :)

Non the less, I cant wait for the improvements they made!

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Funny how every single one of those games you mentioned released with heavy performance issues on all GPU's and some needed several large patches. This was to become playable either on AMD specific gpu's or Nvidia also btw.

Games are rushed out the door and people instantly lay far too much blame on poor driver support. The Omega driver has made every game I've played the last 3 months feel like it had some form of performance boost while two of the three games listed above currently remain uninstalled until they are fixed properly.

AMD/Nvidia can only serve to improve what they are given to work with in the first place and with the state of how the vast majority of games are released these days I truly don't envy them whatsoever.

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I only agree to half what you say. Not having crossfire support is actually making things worse. You feel like you've wasted money on something unusable. Game devs still need to optimize games better. look at the latest patch for bf4. Made my performance so much better. Also dying light runs better and imagine with proper crossfire profile my fps will skyrocket now

20. klaupe

klaupe Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    There hardly has been any crossfire profile in the past 9 months. No, omega didn't make it worse, it just ignored enthousiasts that paid double further. Nonetheless, if things are changing now, i'm okay with that