AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Does the rebranded 7970 have the hardware scaling chip thing or whatever is needed for VSR AMD claims is needed?

Also I thought custom resolutions were still supported on HDMI outputs or something? I don't have Catalyst to check. But in any case, CRU and EDID overriding still exists.

2. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    >moral
    >business

Pick one.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    For the first time in a long time I'm actually disappointed with AMD. We know for a fact that the HD7970 is capable of "downsampling" but they're not willing to do it because they want us to "upgrade" (and I see no other logical explanation as to why we're not getting VSR). They're actually starting to lose loyal customers who have been with them for well over a decade. I'm going to wait for the 390x anyway, but for the first time I might reconsider my choice.

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    what i am wondering is.. why are people complaining they will have to buy a new gpu for vsr?

why not just buy a new screen with higher resolution? lol

gamer logic :p

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    vsr is not a resolution.

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    no but it makes the game think its running a higher resolution

so my point stands

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    no it does not, VSR acts like a form of supersampling, getting higher resolution monitor like, say 4K monitor, costs like a 2500$ so your point is moot. Even 1440p is not cheap and even if you buy it, having it in native resolution does not produce the same effect as having 1440p downscaled to 1080p because that acts like AA, but better.

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    apologies mate seems i was a bit confused

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    no need :) I just tried to clarify so that you can better understand the "issue" some of us have with the VSR (or the absence of).

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i do now mate :thumbup:

11. Trevonn

Trevonn Guest

GPU:
    HD 7790 2GB @ 1.2/1.6 GHz
    VSR is coming to chips based on Bonaire next (7790,260X,260) because they also have the built in hardware for VSR.

Buying a 280X will not get you VSR because it is a more than 3 year old 7970. The same goes for the rest of the rebranded cards. AMD does not discriminate features based on the card's name.

They said they are still exploring a software version of VSR for cards that don't have the built in hardware for it.

12. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Is it too much too ask? I could do it on my nvidia card before even DSR came out. There is a real need for this, because post processing aa is just abominable in today's games.

13. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    They said they're exploring a way to do it on the 280 and 280X. Not older ones than that, even though if they make them do it, it should be doable on older ones. Especially since a 7970 is a 280X, more or less. They're pretty blatantly just are not going to do it because they're old (or they're incompetent. Either or.)

14. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah :( I really miss having Nvidia's superior drivers. I wish GeDoSaTo would work with non-DX9 games until I can afford to go back to team green.

15. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Not long now folks for the drivers, lots of Crossfire improvements coming and of course FreeSync support. :)

16. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    i´m already streching fingers to be prepared for a lot of benchmarking. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    4 month later ^^ , 8 drivers for nvidia . I hope this driver will be OP , freesync with 10 monitors ? for now we just need a real driver with real cfx profil , vsr ?we don't need it gedosato working fine on my sysytem 2k - 4k ( thanks nvidia ) .

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I hope you talking about us old GCN 1.0 users as well otherwise you screwed AMD.

AMD told us their is no support for Freesync on old GCN1.0 cards. How will we know if they telling the truth. Oh well Nvidia might be in the same boat. How would we know they also telling us the truth about G-sync. I know it's just marketing but yeah I bought a R9 280x not long ago and already feel like I'm loosing proper support. WTF AMD. I'm loosing out on great features and now have to buy new card(s) just to get Freesync to work 100%. This is BS. That's why i will never buy "bargains" on anything lower than top tear cards. Always some catch to it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    8 drivers? I didn't know it was that bad. I honestly don't know what AMD are playing at here. People want drivers, people want optimizations and fixes. They are pushing even the most committed users away acting like this. No word from them just rumors posted on forums. I am neither a die hard AMD or NVIDIA user but this is really making me see the light for future GPU purchases.

20. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Yes, GCN 1.0 will see similar performance improvements.

Supported products are listed at www.amd.com/freesync. Products like HD 7000 and HD 6000 lack the right display controllers (the link between GPU<->display) to perform highly dynamic adjustments of refresh rates. This is a hardware limitation that cannot be overcome with software.