AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    :) so true haah

2. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    You ran CCleaner didn't you ?

3. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Yes. I posted earlier. I'm not using Mantle and I have everything set on High. I'm using a 285 and I have a 1920x1200 screen.

FPS jumped significantly:

Avg. 35.1 / Min 28.1 ---> Avg. 49 / Min 42

I don't know what they did but it has made a noticeable difference. I was only benchmarking with the inbuilt tool which is a bit hit and miss, but I did do a few runs of it to try and exclude outliers. Pretty happy with it.

Hasn't done anything to improve the stupidity of the AI and command system, however. :(

4. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards

5. remoteman213

remoteman213 Member

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire R9 280X
  6. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Hmm, my brother's had problems with the display refusing to wake after standby and it sounds like this driver might fix that. He's only using the onboard HD4250 though and this driver doesn't support that, so I might as well stick the spare HD4670 512MB card in his system and hope that helps.

He doesn't game anyway, so it would only really be to free up the system RAM which is being used out of his 4GB for the IGP. He doesn't even have it connected to a TV for watching videos so there's not much for the GPU to do but it would be nice if it would wake up when required and not force a hard reset!

I did have that problem with my HD6950 on my AMD board but haven't experienced it since switching to Intel.

7. Trenchdog73

Trenchdog73 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 290x Tri-x
    Anyone else having trouble installing these? I uninstall current driver and install the new and it tells me that there is no hardware installed for the drivers.

8. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Those are monitors, not gpus bub...

9. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti Gaming X
    yes i did

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Try to turn HT on if its any better, it looks like they "fixed" multi threading or Assassins Creed Unity wouldn't see such a big impact where cpu driver overhead matters the most (directdraw calls).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

11. ANDMOC

ANDMOC Member

GPU:
    R9 295x2 Sapphire
    AFR Mode in Crossfire have some fps gain in some games

Here's the tests:

3200x1800
    Everything maxed out (only left that Gameworks crap behind)

ASSASSINS CREED UNITY (FXAA) - 40-50 fps
    ASSASSINS CREED UNITY (FXAA) - 55-75 fps (AFR) - No glitches

SHADOW OF MORDOR - 45-55 fps
    SHADOW OF MORDOR - 55-70 fps (AFR) - No glitches

CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE - 60-65 fps
    CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE - 65-115 fps (AFR but the game have a lot of shuttering)

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm; i'm sure it's been mentioned, but is there just the one display driver released (14.12 WHQL)?

I downloaded the driver from Guru3D earlier, and it had RC in the name.

13. Yakk

Yakk Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Well this driver refused to install on both my A8 dual graphics laptops.

This is a first.

:(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  14. Mega

Mega Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D R9 290 @ 4096x2160
    Only had a few minutes to play around with it.

3200x1800 resolutions is pretty amazing don't even need to turn on AA on my r9 290. Had to max out the fonts though.

I like the new video options as well.
    hopefully all those buggy black screen and sleep mode issue is fixed.

I wonder if they will push true audio part.
    Need more mantle as well.

Can't wait for freesync, 4k oled hd tv, true 120hz stereoscopic.

15. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    had to delete the mantle cache and the userprofile_profile in order to get DA:I to run. Not that big of a deal. Finally got Mantle up and running. A few things to note:

Gaming Evolved flickers really bad in crossfire, I also think it disables crossfire once the game is running.

Mantle frame pacing in DA:I seems really good (absolutely no hitching), but the FPS seems alot worse now. It's kind of a trade off I am willing to take as it feels really smooth but I lost a butt ton of FPS a BUTT TON.

Mantle occasionally will make the game really dark (isn't fixable with in game Gamma adjustment). Essentially you load in to a level and it looks fine, but if you go to a cutscene (like go to the wartable in Skyhold) when you exit the cut scene the game will be really dark. Happened to me twice in about an hour.

Went from playing at 1440p to using the VSR for 3200x1800. Still plays really smooth using all ultra settings+fade touched textures+2Xmsaa, low post AA. Looks way better than 1440p with 4xmsaa and all though the framerate takes a hit it doesnt stutter and feels smooth. I am using vsync and it stays pretty much at 60 fps.

Anyway, other the othr thing I did was I successfully used the pixel patcher and CRU to get 120hz on the QNIX. Some people on toastyx's forum were having issues,but I had none it went flawless.

pretty good drivers overall, but either the patch for DA:I or these drivers do something with Mantle performance to make it smoothr, but at the same time cut FPS. my 2 cents.

16. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X
    Hydravision is missing again, is that only me?

17. SVillaF

SVillaF Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 290
    Ok, I have no problems with this driver. Uninstalled ALL AMD things, ran Driver Fusion, and then I did 3 passess with DDU. Also, since I have a R9 290, I can use VSR.

Downsampling has always been something that I've being waiting for. Tested DOTA 2 with 2560 x 1440, and hey it works. But it seems that the image looks kinda blurry compared to 1920 x 1080, so I don't know if this is a normal pattern with downsampling, or if it is specific to VSR. I mean VSR = Downsampling right?

18. roadczar

roadczar Member

GPU:
    2080 TI FTW3 Ultra
    Mantle still crashes every 15 minutes in BF4.

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Installed on my second rig running a pair of 7970Ghz editions, everything seems ok so far.

20. Alpha_Tay

Alpha_Tay Active Member

GPU:
    -
    mouse cursor corruption in games still exist in this 14.12 ver