AMD Catalyst 14.11.1 BETA (14.301.0.0 November 5)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The Mac, Nov 10, 2014.

1. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    970 is 54fps min

[​IMG]

2. BoobZ

BoobZ Active Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
    270x is not quite a match for gtx970

3. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    I am not comparing my gpu with 970, im talking about AMD support (driver) they take care only of Hawai gpu

maybe they are busy preparing fiji

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ummm...did you notice the CPU and memory they used?

dont expect those results unless you have what they used bare minimum.

AC is notoriously CPU bound..

5. SpikeOT

SpikeOT Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Presumably Crossfire wasn't functioning for them when they did the benchmark because it makes no sense that the 290X is faster than the the 295X2.

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    they probably wrote it before yesterdays 14.11.1 release.

7. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Seriously? It IS the "total other case" that you allude to. At launch, BF4 could only be played in DX11. Mantle is an additional feature that was enabled through a game patch and also required a driver update. And unfortunately Mantle crossfire in BF4 has been broken lately (broke by Dice). Yes, the game was promoted as a Mantle showcase, but it certainly isn't a mantle exclusive game. For your info, game still works fine for crossfired systems.... running DX! Would I like to run Mantle crossfire over DX crossfire? Sure. But atm I can't, so DX it is.

And Mantle worked fine in BF4 for crossfired systems (well, did for me anyways) prior to that BF4 July 8th patch. Game wasn't broke by a AMD driver update. Was broke by that Dice July 8th BF4 patch. Blaming AMD for something Dice did? Every other game bug with BF4 is AMD's fault too?

So, tell you how it looks? It looks like you are angry at the wrong party - blaming AMD for Dices F U on Mantle implementation. That is how it looks. In the mean time, leave your crossfire on and switch to DX.

P.S. Have seen tweets from AMD reps that the memory leak issue/trigger had been identified by AMD and that information was passed on to Dice. See, AMD can't fix it. Dice broke it and Dice need fix it in their game code.

8. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    My setup is faster than 970 and yet my min frames are in the low 40's

9. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Nope i saw the full article, it's with the new drivers.
    Only not the 1.0.2 patch that would solve some multi-gpu problems.

10. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    because of bad driver :dead:

11. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    The game is having performance issues on AMD hardware, ubisoft have released a statement not long ago.

12. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    Yes i saw it, they said in same Amd cofig not all configurations anyway this is my overall opinon about AMD guys(driver team) and that driver:

That driver is for hd7000/r9 200 particaly the same (one generation of gpu) in addition, supported os are 7 and 8.1 (what about xp, vista, 8 ?)
    Mantle always in beta version (memory leak , gcn1.0not fully supported, crash, not at game lunch...) tress fx (just one game) tressfx2.0 maybe 2016 !!!!
    true audio pointless(only gcn 1.1), freesync until 2015 (game support only gcn1.1) sleep problem, acceleration material probleme.
    no DSR; no Adaptative Sync,no physx,Raptr alwys in beta, often beta driver, often late after game lunch ...

All that mean lazy driver team or not enough effective

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Let me guess, you're now going to buy NVIDIA?

14. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    Of course my next Videocard will be Nvidia :cool: however i prefer to wait and see

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Thanks for your valuable feedback about the 14.11.1 driver :p

I know it doesn't really help that I just said that; but I'll just give my view on your points:

- Mantle isn't an issue. Battlefield 4 is not Mantle, nor is it the only game with Mantle. BF4 is just a single game, made by a company who obviously doesn't care too much about programming quality (hence the state BF4 launched in). The memory leak only occurs in BF4.

I've played Thief and ran the Star Swarm benchmark, with Mantle, on my 7850, and it was fine. My GCN 1.0 hardware handled Mantle fine. Can't speak for BF4 since I haven't actually tried it, but I imagine it wouldn't fair as-well.

Blaming issues with a rendering API with a single game is like me claiming OpenGL on AMD is busted beyond belief in every scenario due to how RAGE initially played.

- Windows XP is beyond legacy, and should not be used in this day in age. And even if you have a rare reason to be using it still, you should not be using a modern GPU with it; otherwise, you wasted your money (would be like me dropping $200 on a FX-8350 and running only 2 cores at 1GHz just to run Windows 98; maybe not "that" far anyway, but it's pretty silly using an OS that won't let you use your hardware to the fullest extent).

There's little reason to be using Vista nowadays too (unless you really can't afford a newer OS, and don't resort to piracy). And there's almost even less reason to be using Windows 8 as well (the Windows 8.1 update is free; not to mention I thought MS even stopped supporting W8 with updates?).

- There's nothing wrong with TressFX. Not really AMD's fault if developers either don't care for nice looking hair, or would rather just port games from consoles. Maybe it's the consumer just not demanding better hair? I for one would love to see nicer hair in games aside from the usual blob garbage.

- I admit I don't really see too much point in TrueAudio yet, but who knows what could happen later.

- No real comment on FreeSync; as I forget how it actually works. But you'd have to be joking if you think G-SYNC works significantly better.

- The sleep problem is annoying.

- A driver is a driver. I'd rather see more beta drivers with no implied guarantees over barely-tested stability-implying WHQL drivers catching GPUs on fire.

- If Raptr works fine, what is the issue with it being in beta exactly?

- Downsampling in the driver would be nice. I don't use Vsync most of the time, and don't really have a comment on Adaptive Vsync (I guess it would be nice, but I'm hardly concerned for such a feature).

- Acceleration Material problem?

- Does NVIDIA not release drivers after a game launch with game-specific fixes?

If anything, I'm amazed that games even need a driver release to accompany them. Either it's just PR, or developers like coding against reference specifications, a lot for some reason. But regardless, it's gotten bad enough that now people want a new driver for almost every game release...

16. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    the adptive vsync problem is easily fixed: Radeon Pro.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    These drivers are running really well on my R9 280x. Every game I've tried so far is running real smooth. BF4 with mantle runs great. Maybe I'm one of the few with no issues....From what I've gathered over the years of looking at this forum is that a majority of the issues are from crossfire users. Nvidia also has issues with dual card setups but seems to have less...if you're gonna go dual card, you should probably go Nvidia. That being said, you're probably going to have some issues with dual card setups no matter which side you go with. I've always felt the best way to do it is to just get one really good single card, you'd avoid a majority of the issues right there.

18. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega64 Nit
    I have no problem with this driver like I had no problem with previous drivers releases.
    I play ACU with 2xMSAA with 45-60 fps and the frame is smooth even on 45.

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I think it's because you not running crossfire.I guess it's so true what they say crossfire/SLi have issues in most cases. I still say we not ready for anything over 1080p/1440p 60hz. You need at least 2 cards to get proper fps for anything over 60hz unless you turn down some setings

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  20. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Agreed. I think I've made things much easier for myself by being content with Ultra at 1080p/60fps. Running my desktop on a 42 inch 1080p 60hz hdtv and I'm pretty happy with it. I would hate to invest all that money into a 2k/4k setup only to have nothing but issues. I'll wait until single cards can run 2k/4k at ultra settings and by then getting a big screen 4k hdtv will be much more affordable. Until then, I'll stick with 1080p.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014