AMD Catalyst 14.11.1 BETA (14.301.0.0 November 5)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The Mac, Nov 10, 2014.

1. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    word...

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Here's the chipset drivers from 14.9.2 in-case anyone needs them and doesn't feel like re-downloading 14.9.2: http://puu.sh/cM1iY/7c1d7ee03c.zip

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    This driver works better but not nearly 100% for cod:aw. I get 100% cpu usage and about 60% per gpu. How can this game be more demanding than BF4

4. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Anybody tried them with BF4 and Mantle Crossfire?! DX11 Crossfire is s**t, for example when your tank/APC is attacked by scout chopper and you deploy active protection the framerate tanks. Or Siege of Shanghai becomes a mess after levolution on 64 players server. Mantle Crossfire did not have these performance issues.I don't know if it is the July patch or the driver but somebody should fix this mess, it has been broken for months now.

Having DA: Inquisition on preorder and coming out in about a week using the same Frostbite 3 engine I am worried the Mantle Crossfire memory leak and the DX11 Crossfire performance issues will also be present.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Flaming about support of beta drivers...

6. jonson

jonson Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Mantle Crossfire memory Leak in BF4

Have you tested with Mantle ?

It seems the Mantle Version is the same on this beta driver. I doubt they fix the mantle crossfire memory leak in BF4.

I give it a try. But i feel that my patience with AMD comes to an End. After over 10 years using AMD GPU/CPU´s i am nearly done with them. Tired of being third grade gamer. They promote AMD GPU´s with Mantle and BF4 and it simple dont work out. The Memory leaking is so blatant. First it eats the Vram then it eats up the System RAM and you end with stuttering 5 fps in Game.

I think they simple dont care. Time to buy a GPU from the Pros @ Nvidia.

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    If AMD continue to release somewhat useless drivers and not supporting mantle then I see that they will loose almost 50% of their customers. Once nvidia releases new graphics cards after 900 series i will make my move back to them. With dx12 coming out mantle can kiss my hairy ass goodbye.

8. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    I'm sorry about derailing the CoD/AC driver thread but everybody has different expectations about what the beta drivers should fix. I guess everybody hopes their issues will be fixed first. I'll give it a try in the evening with BF4 but I do not expect miracles.

9. Seth-01

Seth-01 Active Member

GPU:
    VTX3D R9 290 947/1250
    I agree ! if they don't fix the memory leak in BF4 using Mantle before Christmass, my next GC will be a nVidia !

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I believe they are working on a better driver, the recent drivers are basically just maintenance releases. I do have some evidence to support this statement... the OpenCL 2.0 driver from September. Despite being a couple of months older it has later versions for the components. This does not mean they contain the fixes that these lower versioned component drivers have been given, just that they are on a different codepath. It seems AMD are spending most of their effort on getting that driver right, and just keeping a small amount of effort on maintaining this driver codepath. This isn't a bad thing, I'm guessing the newer codepath also has preliminary proper support for DirectX 12 and Windows 10, even if it isn't fully implemented upon release.

11. jonson

jonson Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Well said.

I installed the 14.11.1 and tested som playing in BF4 with crossfire & Mantle enabled.

After playing exactly 8 Minutes in Match Goldmud Railway, my System Memory goes up to 14 GB. The capped FPS goes from 144 to stutter 30-50. Thank you AMD for nothing. Ok its a beta driver but anyway. I´ll wait one Mantle update further and then thats it. And i dont care that they dont care about loosing me as customer.

:bang:

12. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Please trust me when I say that its Dice's fault concerning mantle problems its their fault because only after 8th july patch is when things went down ,with memory leak issues and crossfire memory leaks.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You know guys, threatening posts here about buying Nvidia cards won't get you anywhere.

14. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I hate to say this but after many years I am too going for the Green team. There are so many problems AMD needs to deal with and I am tired of them. Besides its Ubisoft and their backing of NVIDIA products is enough for me to change side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  15. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    AMD is a rubbish, i gave it a chance but now that's enough, sooner or later i will get a GTX970

16. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Further proof that they do now want to improve perf on previous generations like 280x(Mantle) which is getting defeated by GTX770 with 2gb of VRAm .Im mind blown that this could happen

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It's sad people feel the need to let everyone know they're going to NVIDIA... on a driver release thread.

Nobody cares. Stop cluttering up a driver discussion thread and go discuss it somewhere else (or better yet, don't discuss it; stop wasting time by complaining and go get a NVIDIA GPU).

As for some driver-related feedback; I've had the screen wake issue with these drivers as well, with ULPS disabled.

Also PerformanceTest barely showed any difference between these, 14.9.2 and the OpenCL 2.0 driver for both 2D and 3D tests. Games and 3DMark are probably better indicators of performance testing though.

I'm not certain why people seem to want to place the blame with AMD still.

Want to know the best way to check if performance issues with Mantle are because of AMD or Dice? How about trying another game; there's quite a few games you could test with.

If the stuttering and low-performance persists on other games, then it's probably a safe bet AMD has some work to do. If it's just BF4... then it's obvious Dice has some work to do. Considering the broken mess BF4 launched as, it's pretty obvious where the blame is.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  18. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Uh, minor tweaks for two games? That's it, really? I am starting to think they don't care about the black screen bug, which is much bigger problem than performance in a random game. Starting to lose faith here. Meanwhile, stuck with 14.4 with my 290.

19. jonson

jonson Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI

there are many opinions on this in the Web. Also many "fixes" which dont work. Only Weaponchunks.sb removing or renaming works. But its a high price to pay when doing so. Not only missing sound or similar, also complete Soldier Textures.
    Not what i would call "fix".

Nvidia SLI has no Problems with this. Even running Mantle with single GPU will not fix the leak complete. It makes it much much slower growing, so the chances are good to never paying attention to it as a bug.

EA DICE says its AMD fault and AMD says its EA DICE fault. Since July the couldnt fix it both.

On reddit i saw last week one AMD CM who could reproduce the Error. After 4 Months. For God Sake. How is this even possible.

ok ..enough rant. Set Back to DX11 with stutter Gameplay and waiting for the final.

20. B0GiE-uk-

B0GiE-uk- Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6Gb
    Got to agree with you there. I was wondering why BF4 was using 8.2Gb of memory on my PC. Will have to switch off Mantle.

Also in the last year the support for Catalyst Drivers by AMD has taken a serious slide. I thought they were putting more resources into driver support?

Seriously thinking of going to the Green Team on my next gfx card upgrade.

SORT YOUR **** OUT AMD. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. PERIOD. :bang::bang::bang: