AMD Catalyst 13.6 BETA2 (13.101.0.0 June 4)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Are you enabling MSAA in catalyst, or in game/engine?

Doing so in Catalyst is potentially risky, as it may collide with some engines, or you might to enable MSAA twice - one in game, one in catalyst and that is certainly wrong setting.

MSAA alone is not causing such trouble.

2. spekgat7

spekgat7 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    I'm guessing you have VSync turned off, and that's probably why you don't have object related stuttering, and also why your PC would get hot in non-taxing areas or in menus (where the framerate runs very high).

I have VSync turned on, so the framerate is capped at 60 fps, i.e. no heat issues here... just the VSync stuttering.

Amazing how different systems can experience the same game so differently. That must be a nightmare for driver developers. :)

3. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I have always Vsync ON. Summer finally started here, and my room is oriented to southwest, so there is quite hot in the evening before dawn. No airconditioning...

I have to verify the temperatures and if the heat is not killing the driver or causing throttling or something.

Since the game is taxing a lot even CPU, I believe that my older Core 2 Quad processor has small advantage over yours. Since the Cores are divided into two dies, the FSB bandwidth is not 12800, but 2x6400 mb/s instead.

Even if I5-2500 has much better total bandwidth to CPU, its much easier to cause overload of single pipeline by unoptimized meshes as in case of my CPU.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  4. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Metro 2033 + all settings maxed + AAA (Metro's own AA) -> no problem
    Metro 2033 + all settings maxed + MSAA (in game option) -> artifacts+system freeze

Artifacts appear after few seconds.

Same thing for Furmark/EVGA OC Scanner

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

5. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    That looks more like a HW problem. Overheating.

6. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Just tested and worked flawlessly.

7. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Instantaneuos overheating?
    No problem with no AA/postprocess filters.....GPGPU applications (Collatz, RatGPU, etc.) works like a charm for minutes and minutes.

Which GCN GPU components are related to MSAA or postprocess filters?
    I have similar problem with SMAA of SweetFX suite.

8. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    try underclocking the card and see if ti still does it.

9. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    If OC is too high, and voltage is too low, GPU may show signs of increased sensitivity to temperature. Like "I am at 75 degrees, its not much but I am going to artifact and crash in few minutes". Higher GPU load (like MSAA) may trigger this because you cross some threshold of GPU utilization.

this behavior can be instantaneous, or take hours depending on settings, GPU temperature and OC.

When you decrease frequency, and it persists, the problem is elsewhere. However if it stops to happen your GPU frequency is not stable.

10. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Lowering frequency solves the problem.....increasing +5% the powerlimit seems too.

I hate factory OC :D

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sapphire sold a batch of 7850's that had faulty resistors.
    I'm not saying you have one but it might pay to check. The bad cards can be identified by their serial number.....you could contact Sapphire.....

12. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Thanks!

13. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi guys just to share my experience, i have bought a gigabyte 7950 windforce thats oced to 900-1000 boost as default, now ive been trying drivers etc and i had some lockups bluscreens, so being the person that i am, i just had to open up my video card to see if it was loose or somthing, well the thing is i found out that gigabytes thermal paste was bad, like it was done like a cookie, it would just tear off the gpu.

so i grabbed my AS5 pasted into my gpu and voila, i have yet to counter a bluescreen or any other issues, ive also noticed that some parts of the cooling where loose, i tighten that up too.

so what i mean by this, i advice you to check and dissasemble your video card try to see if anything is loose or if the thermal paste is of bad quality.

after my thermals was 80+c in furmark @ full load (heated up 30min run)
    Now they are 60 stable in furmark @ full load (heated up 30min run)

so my findings are that maybe these heat spikes while gaming gave me the bosd's and it was because of faulty thermal paste.

14. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    If you are usuing the PS in your sig, its a bit old and small and is known to run extremely hot.

Might want to think about swapping it out and see if that helps.

15. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Yeah, maybe it's a PSU related problem too.

With GPU@850 MHz (default 900) and powerlimit raised to +10% MSAA works and no more crashes.....

16. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    A good test for PSU's is the OCCT PSU Test. Download it from here http://www.ocbase.com/download/OCCTPT4.4.0.exe and run it. It will full load all your components and if the PSU is believed to be the problem, it will lock up.

17. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
  18. RhettSki

RhettSki New Member

GPU:
    Power HD7790 OC 1GB
    Hi Everyone. Has anyone tried the Platform Update for Windows 7 with this driver? I am not sure whether to install the update.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you mean the DX11.1 update yeah you may as well install it.

20. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    That's good to hear. I'm still reluctant on upgrading as I'm using 13.6 beta 1. I had issues with everything after 13.2 with HDMI audio drop out.

I finally fixed it by setting the memory speed to default at 350mhz. Sounds dumb but it worked.

Here's a thread on it if anyone is still having issues.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1386403/newest-13-4-13-5-catalyst-causing-stuttering-audio-thru-hdmi-fix