AMD Catalyst 13.6 BETA (13.101.0.0 May 23)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI Sea Hawk EK X
    Not only are they old but it also fails to detect they are already installed

[​IMG]

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    My earlier comment was just suprise at them updating to even 2012.

They've been on 2008 for god knows how long..

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    No, the AMD version is definitely older!

The one included in the installer is:

THERE IS NO 10.0.30319 for Visual C++ 2012, 10.0.30319 is Visual C++ 2010!

I do need to re-upload it though, for KB2538243 recognition. It doesn't affect operation, just that it will show in Windowsupdate.

I should also point out the latest 2010 runtime is version 10.0.40219.447

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I use a bundled VC++ setup to keep those updated, it's fairly minor but I like keeping it clean and only having the latest versions installed. :)
    (Thus I also take care to remove such setups from games and the like to avoid installing older versions but it's pretty easy to fix when it happens.)

EDIT: As for 13.6b I've not had any issues so far, wonder what profiles were added?
    (Will probably be revealed soon enough.)

5. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    It should not affect operation, however in the past I did few uninstallations of vcredist, removal of AMD driver, and clean installation of packed redist and everything was fine...

I had some trouble with driver, CCC or games (mostly only performance related, in some cases game specific bugs which were gone once there was only one or correct vcredist installation).

But this is mess of Microsoft...

6. BoSL

BoSL Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX1060 6GB OC
    Finally, thx Asder!

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yes, it is a mess by Microsoft, which the redist installer attempts to resolve, at least at a system folder level.

The issue is the very reason why SweetFX etc works, the loading of dll files if they are present in the program's folder. Why this is an issue is because programs don't have the very latest versions of the Visual C++ dll's when installed (latest as in the latest for 2005 if uses 2005, 2008 if uses 2008, 2010 if uses 2010 or 2012 if uses 2012) meaning you run the old version. This is especially bad when you consider there have been some security issues with c++ runtimes in the past, meaning when you run that program you are potentially exposing your computer to risk.

The easy way around this (and yes, it is this simple) is to delete the msvc*.dll, atl*.dll, mfc*.dll, vcamp*.dll, vcomp*.dll, and vccorlib*.dll if they exist from the programs folder.

Note: The * is a 'wildcard', meaning there are different suffixes here. In this case, it will either be 80, 90, 100, or 110, to represent C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2012 respectively.

There may be the extreme rare program that cracks a fit if these files are not present in the program folder (the exception being actual Visual C++ development folder, leave them there!), this is not due to compatibility issues etc, it's more to do with improper programming. You can copy the latest version of the respective file over the existing copies residing in the program folder and the program will be fine. This is the reason why deletion of the c++ dll's isn't automatic in the runtime installer script program.

Two problematic programs I know of:
    • Latest Logitech Setpoint (simply close off Setpoint and copy the latest versions of msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll over the existing ones in the Setpoint folder)
    • Certain latest versions of Firefox/Developer Firefox (same deal as with Setpoint)

You can do a 'blanket' search in the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folder and delete these msvc files (the search function in Windows Explorer). Not having them present in the program folder will force the application to use the latest version installed in the system32/syswow64 folder instead.

If you copy the files from the Windows System folders for the stubborn programs, DO NOT confuse the x86 and x64 runtimes with x86 and x64 programs. For 32-bit programs MUST use the x86 (32-bit) version, and for 64-bit programs must use the x64 version.

Update to 24a:

Reason for the update was the Windowsupdate satisfaction, so it doesn't ask you to install KB2538243, which is very much older.

Visual C++ Redist Installer V24a- http://db.tt/GxoAyvna
    All other stuff - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvo0u5lrac3whv2/j3Uhlqc9j8

I should also point out that older versions can sometimes be installed, despite being older. In the case of the AMD Catalyst drivers, you can simply delete the VC Redist folders from the Apps folder, they are both OLD versions.

Runtime versions in the redist installer:
    2005: 8.0.50727.6229
    2008: 9.0.30729.7523
    2010: 10.0.40219.447
    2012: 11.0.51106.1

8. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3070 OC
    Before uninstalling and/or installing new drivers, close AB if it's running in background !
    Never had a single problem when doing this.

Anyway, before installing new driver, I uninstall older with control panel.
    After rebooting, if an old driver is automaticaly installed by windows, I uninstall it with device manager.
    I repeat this until the standard vga driver is installed.
    Then I use AMD uninstall utility to delete all remanents files and reboot.

Now my system is clean and I can install new driver without problem or conflict.

Moreover, no more drivers are stored in windows and my ssd has more space!

9. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Very informative post ThatGuy thank you.

So in a nutshell if one wants to use only the latest Visual c++ then we install the redist 24a, then search out the dll's you listed from Programs/Programs(x86) and delete them ?

And for Logitech and Firefox where do we copy the latest msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll's from ? The ones from the syswow64 folder (after updating to 24a of course)

Then when installing AMD drivers, just delete the VC redist folder (once extracted) then run the installer as normal ?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yes, except that you should copy the msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll file from the system32 folder for Logtech Setpoint, since it is a full 64-bit application (not a 64-bit driver/32-bit application combo). For Firefox, if you are using x86 Firefox (most likely) you need to copy them from the syswow64 folder, as these are where the 32-bit versions are. This is only required if Firefox actually has the runtimes in its folder, I'm not sure if the standard builds do. There are several codepaths of Firefox (and x86/x64 versions), and a couple of different non-official build environments so I'm not sure if they are all the same. I know this is true for at least some of the builds, including the build I am currently running (24.0A1 2013-05-29 x64). The build I am currently using actually has the latest version so I don't need to do anything, but again it depends on the build environment at the time of compiling.

It sounds back to front! but 64 bit stuff is in system32, and 32-bit stuff is in syswow64.

11. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Indeed, i always wondered why programs dropped their own instead of using whats already on the system...

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It is because Visual C++ redistributables aren't part of Windows (well, apart from a really old version), it is an addon. Since Visual C++ isn't the only build environment out there (another popular one for instance is GCC), due to anti-competitive reasons they can't have it system incorporated.

This really isn't the issue, the issue is with how the dll's are distributed with programs, and how the runtimes are installed

13. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Turbo 24G
    I can confirm these mobility 13.6 beta drivers work on an (2012?) 27" iMac with a Radeon 6700m video card in windows 7.

A programmer at my job uses an imac and he's been trying to update the drivers for the past 6 months but usually they wont detect the video card. These drivers actually detected the card and installed, and seem to be working well.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Fwiw VC van be removed from the install pack simply by extracting the files and deleting the folders......

Anyway I have an annoyance that's been bugging me for ages and I cannot figure out the answer maybe someone else can....I'm at a loss.

After every driver update I get this; it's my old card, makes no difference if I install manually or extract the files and run setup it's always the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even if I delete every related file in registry before updating it still happens....
    Fwiw the OS is on a separate drive all the write folders like app data/installed programs/program data are on different partitions.
    I want to know where the OS is reading the adapter info from....

Any ideas?

15. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    So what Visual C++ redistributables i need to install on Windows 8 pro 64?

Sorry but my english is not so good and i not understand how and waht i need to install...

16. player

player Member

GPU:
    dv6
    can someone make a pack with this driver with all that visual c++ bs uptodate please :pc1:

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no idea mate. if you cleared out the registry and it still comes up, I'm lost. Thing like that would make me re-install windows, that's how anal I am :)

18. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I had a similar problem with games detecting my old 6950 instead of my 7970

atiman fixed it for me.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ATI Man doesn't work on my PC since it only allows installation to C:\Program Files which is not my install directory.

Pretty dumb imho...

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Umm no. Evens out frame times for alternating frames. Exactly what frame metering achieves. Even frame times = no runt frames.

Have you tried it yet and it didn't work for you? It works for everybody else.