AMD Catalyst 13.5 B2 (12.102.3.0 April 16)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Banned

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    If you are not playing games and use Ubuntu, I would stay with drivers from OS, they function very well.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I had CTD 1st day I got game (launch day). I do not remember how I fixed CTD, but I am sure that logo animation which is played before you get to menu gave me impression that it is full of artifacts.

But for me those artifacts are always same on same places in same sequence. I believe it's made to look like that :)

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If you aren't playing games or doing anything requiring 3D or hardware acceleration period (this includes flash, HTML5, and browsers). The HD 7xxx series is pretty horrible with the radeon driver (default in Ubuntu). The driver doesn't have proper fan control either (so my card, which has dust-removing tech or aka, spin the fans in reverse until the driver's fan controller kicks in, never stops spinning at 100% in reverse when the OS loads).

Edit: The HD 6xxx series might be better off however, and may be pretty usable with the radeon open-source driver. Still not fglrx-capable in performance or OGL features however.

RadeonSI might be a better driver (not entirely sure), but it's not exactly easy to acquire. I hear it'll ship default in Fedora 19.

I would suggest checking out xorg-edgers; last I checked though they were still back on 13.2 B7.

4. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Banned

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    I wasn't aware of that problem with some 7xxx series cards. Flash also work perfect with OS drivers from Ubuntu on 6xxx series.

5. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    Hey everyone i just want to let you know my experience with the 13.5 b2 drivers using my sapphire radeon 7950.

I was using 13.3 beta 3 drivers for a month or two now and i had no problems at all, i played every game under the sun with not a single issue. So when the 13.5 b2 drivers came out i quickly installed them and noticed black flickering in almost every one of my games. So i uninstalled 13.5beta 2 and installed 13.4 WHQL and the problem persisted. So i said screw it im going back to 13.3 beta 3 which worked so well. So i did and the problem persisted still! What the heck? So after countless hours of research and preparing to RMA my card.. a lightbulb went off in my head and i realized the only thing i have not tried was clear my bios cmos. So i pressed the clear cmos button on my asrock z77 extreme4 and bam everything was back to normal, im on my third hour of witcher2 without a single artifact (usually they would occur once every 45 seconds).

So yes this is a driver thing, i think the 7950's use some sort of different technology because the 7900 series cards dont really agree with any of the drivers. I have read numerous stories of people RMA'ing up to three cards in a row with the same problems.

Solution, roll back to 13.3 beta 3, than turn off your computer and clear your BIOS cmos and see if that fixes it for ya.

P.S. When i first got my 7950 in the mail from newegg i loaded up black ops 1 and noticed black flickering.. I than went onto ati driver website and the 13.3 beta3 release notes said "fixes flickering issue in some dx9 games" so that driver fixed it.. And this is definately not a hardware thing because hardware artifacts are all different colors.. these are always BLACK and the same type of artifact.. its weird.

6. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    So you cleared your CMOS and you came to the conclusion it is drivers? I don't think so. Do you by chance have the graphics portion of your CPU enabled? Did you install Lucid Virtu and/or the VGA drivers for your CPU?

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If you have a 6xxx card and use Chrome, check out chrome://gpu/ and see how hardware acceleration is. No idea how it is on a recent card, but my ancient Xpress 1150M has no hardware acceleration at all with radeon on Ubuntu 13.04.

8. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Banned

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Thank you, but I'm using Chrome in Windows only (sometimes IE, ye I know..), for Linux firefox all the way ;), and it is really done nicely for 6xxx series that I don't feel need for other drivers or browser from OS ones, it might change tho, so thanks again.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Does Firefox have any statistics at about:gpu or about:support ?

10. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    (in bios i enable pci-e 3.0 as primary graphics and disabled intel gpu completely which also disables lucid virtu MVP by default)

I forgot to mention why i think its definitely the drivers.. I owned this 7950 for one month on an AMD1090T system and experienced the black artifacts until the 13.3 beta 3 was released that said in the release notes "fixes black artifacts in some dx9 applications". This fixed my problems completely

I than upgraded to core i7 and asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard and installed the 13.3 beta 3 drivers right off the bat and everything worked wonders for about a month. Than about 30 seconds after i upgraded to 13.5b2 drivers i noticed the black flickering again in almost all my dx9 games. I than reverted back to 13.3 and the problem persisted.. In my own theory this tells me that AMD are making some hardware level changes to the 7900 series cards and altered the information it was sharing between my bios and card. Why else would the problems go away after clearing my bios? Its probably because my bios still had the timings that the 13.5beta2 driver told it to have.

11. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Banned

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    I'm not sure, never really used, It have about:config, and it is really only worth to use it on Linux, not on Windows for me.

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    CMOS reset or bios setting of the motherboard have nothing to do with the gpu, outside you have oc the PCI express frequencies or reset settings linked to the Igpu of the processor ( if you have a processor with an Integrated gpu ) etc .. Bios settings control the motherboards and system onboard.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  13. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    I asked if you installed Lucid Virtu and/or the VGA drivers for the Intel GPU? In addition, are you running the latest BIOS on your mobo? Have you test to see what PCI-E speed your card is actually running at while rendering 3D?

14. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    If cmos and bios have nothing to do with GPU than why did clearing my cmos fix my four day long problem right there on the spot? And why do motherboard manufacturers constantly release compatibility updates/fixes to add support and compatibility for specific video cards? A bios is actually much more complex than you may think, its a small operating system just like windows with a simple user interface to make it seem easy enough.. Why does asus constantly provide bios updates that simply say things like "improve system stability?" if you think bios has nothing to do with gpu than you simply are mistaken.

I disabled intel onboard graphics and lucid virtu in the bios. I have not installed the intel onboard graphics driver or the lucid virtu drivers as i have no reason to.. Also it would not even be possible to install the drivers for them considering they are disabled in my bios. It would say hardware not found upon the installation process.

And yes i have assured it is running pci-e 3.0 using gpu-z render utility.

I have fixed the problem everything is running perfectly again with the 13.3 beta3 drivers. Perhaps there was a bug in my bios configuration as i will be giving the 13.5 beta2 drivers another chance. But in my opinion i feel like amd is tightening the memory timings and my card does not like it

15. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Banned

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    AMD have no right to do that, and I doubt they did that trough drivers. That is a job of manufacturers (EVGA, XFX etc.). I know you can check timings on VRAM, but I can't remember program used for that.

Oh, you can check it by GPU-Z, if memory timings are tighten (or changed), memory bandwidth would change also.

Still, 13.2 BETA 6 are better for me.

Last edited: May 3, 2013

16. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti FE
    ATItool was used to check memory timings. Bandwidth would go UP if AMD tightened certain timings.

17. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    GPU ram timings are controlled by the GPU bios, they cannot be changed in the GPU driver.

You would need to flash a new GPU bios to change them.

18. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    lol you think i that i think amd drivers are tightening the cas-latency of my system ram? No i just meant that AMD is somehow altering the memory control on their video cards and my video card does not like it.. I am not that stupid lol. I was talking about the video cards ram.

Haha that would be like saying AMD's new driver is over-clocking my cpu

19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i am referring to the GPU ram timings and Bios numbskull, not the system bios. You dont need to flash to change those.

GPU ram timinings cannot be changed by the the driver.

i have added a bunch of GPUs to my previous post for clarity.

20. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    sorry to complicate things, all i meant to say is that in my personal experience the 13.5 beta2 drivers seem to do something that my 7950does not like very much.. My guess is they are trying out some sort of new tweaks to improve frame latency? ? I dont know but i seem to have problems with 13.5b2 that i do not experience with any other drivers.

Another thing I've noticed is that my sapphire 7950 shoots up to 1.25Volts while under load to accommodate for the boost mode clock of 925mhz. This seems like a pretty drastic increase in voltage just for a measly 50mhz increase. So just today i disabled the high boost state voltage of 1.25 and forced it to run at the stock 1.125 volts through sapphire trixx utility and i get the same performance at about 8-10C cooler.. Same 3dmark scores and have been playing games at stock voltage all day..

People have been able to go all the way up to 1200mhz at the 1.25 volt setting so why on earth would they set it to 1.25 for 925mhz? Way too many jiggatrons if you ask me

And to the guy who called me numbskull i wasnt responding to just you, you are not the only guy responding read the other comments