AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA 6 (12.100.17.0 February 18)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by aRadiatedNoodle, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Predator

Predator Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 OC mini-ITX
    Yeah i thought it was only me having that issues as well hehe, since i rolled back to beta 5 all problems have gone though :)

2. Choseh

Choseh Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    i got a driver stopped responding in other games - went back to 13.1

3. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Before reverting back to previous drivers try to downclock your GPU/set it back to default.

Newer drivers seems to have trouble with OC.

4. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    Ah I'd already downgraded. Beta 5 seems ok so far but I'm getting stutter in game BF3 MP...

5. bassurachar

bassurachar New Member

GPU:
    i have a big promblem in Black ops 2

sometime game is Stuck, game running pic can't move .but i can hear gun shot or sound move
    i'm poor eng sorry

windows 8
    gigabyte 6850
    Ram 8 G
    phenom x4 840
    gigabyte ga-770t-d3l

6. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    Are you serious? wow..BugMeister i hate to say it..but your an idiot. :giggle2:

Back on topic though! these drivers are good. Working perfectly on my HD7970, actually picked up a decent amount of performance in GW2 WvW so im happy!

And just FYI i don't run custom overclock settings on this card just BIO's 2 factory overclock mode and all is good.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would not be so harsh on such comment, there is old thing called "nvdata" which is memory used to store certain data between reboots/power downs.
    Cleaning that is easy and has no impact. (May have benefit of resetting OS UPNP related settings.)

There is way to reset bios to default, but it requires YOU to allow modification from OS. And it can be only done by setting CRC bits so BIOS thinks values are corrupter and resets. (Highly improbable action which has no benefits.)

But I wonder what is base for such comment in first place?
    1st BSOD during (un)installation and BIOS decided to reset your bad CPU/memory OC?
    2nd Tool written some text on screen? I would like to see such text exactly.
    3rd Is it based on official release notes? Which section?
    4th You read it from other user?

8. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    Ok so resetting my BCLK to default 1000 seems to have solved stutter. Still getting freezing in beta 5.

edit: turned off gpu overclocks and it seems stable... (still using stock msi oc)

9. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    Still stutter with stock clocks, seems like bf3 doesn't like overclocks AT ALL. This game is pissing me off, only thing which is unstable.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Setting it to 0 is the same as 3.
    Try setting it to 3 and see if the input lag goes away. Maybe just having the variable present is affecting it.

on Windows XP, Flip Queue Size is handled far differently than 7, and setting it to 0 works there. 0 used to work on windows 7 years ago, but now 1 is the lowest value. 0 doesn't seem to have any negative affects in XP, but set it to 15 in XP with vsync on and watch games like UT2004 have literally half a second (500 ms) of mouse lag. This doesnt happen in W7 anymore...doesn't seem to be any difference at all between 3 (33 00 binary) and 15 (3f 00).

(Note: Prerender Limit of "0" was recently removed in the Nvidia drivers also, btw; nice ****storm on their forums last year about that as people were unhappy; might even be a debate on our Nvidia section too if I recall)

The old string values of 1, 2, 3 still work, although it usually accepts binary values of 31 00 for 1, 32 00 for 2, etc.

Also note that setting it to 1 can REDUCE (how much, ymmv) framerates in some games because (For some reason) GPU usage is lowered. You can easily test this in windows yourself (just by setting it to binary 31 00) and running UT2004 with UseVsync=0 (off) in the UT2004.ini and then compare the FPS with FlipQueueSize set to 2 (32 00 binary). Around 33% higher FPS. Although the fps is a bit higher if no FSAA is used with 2 vs 1, very little difference on GPU usage unless you set it to 8x supersampling in CCC (to actually put a load on the GPU since this game is so old), then the difference becomes massive. (100% fullscreen usage with 8x SSAA, vsync off in INI, versus 55-70% usage with it off).

Since all reasonably current games won't hit 300-400 FPS, the difference is usually MUCH lower. But 1 can cause weird stuttering/half FPS (although the FPS still shows normal fps) issues with Vsync on, especially in CS:Go, making that unplayable with "1" and vsync.

You can see the same thing running GPUtool's (GPUtool_CTP1.exe if you want to find it) stress test (make sure you have antialiasing off in CCC) with FlipQueueSize set to 1 or 2. Setting it to 1 will only cause it to use around 70% of your CPU in windowed mode with much lower FPS. Setting it to 2 and 99% of the GPU is used. Fullscreen mode is a lot less drastic, but still 92% GPU usage with "1" and 97-98% with "2".

11. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    I'm gonna try setting it to one then, had it at one a long time ago as I read somewhere that multithreaded drivers (or whatever) didn't perform as good as they could with lower values. At some point I changed it to zero with little to none performance hit so I left it there. Some games or engines have a setting for maximum pre-rendered frames (FarCry3, Frostbite games...), never had any issues with it at either zero or one.

Haven't really played that much the latest year because of work but I bought a new computer recently and wanted to catch up. The few times I've been playing it has been RPGs. Started playing Crysis 2 today after seeing the intro (spoiler) video in Crysis 3 (wanted to see the pretty graphics). The aim felt quite responsive with mouse smoothing disabled, but I think it can get even better.

Tanks for the explanation btw!

Edit I: You seem to be right about CS:GO, I lost about 1/3 of the fps going from 0 -> 1 (300fps->200fps).

Edit II: Crysis 2 benchmark had an average of 150fps with fqs 1-3. Unigine Valley had the same fps with fqs default and 1. Forcing to 3 made it flicker like hell... wonder what default is then?!

12. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Default is 3; has always been that for years. Not sure why you're getting flickering...you sure it isn't something else interfering? I just tested it, no flickering in Valley at 3...

14. Predator

Predator Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 OC mini-ITX
    Have you tried corepark? i assume you're using HT while playing B3 MP maybe that's causing you the stuttering?

i got issue with BETA 6 but once rolled back to 5 everything went back to normal, i'm running a Sapphire Dual-X which has 925 core default clocks and i got it all the way OCed to 1100/1600 and BF3 MP runs great for me

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  15. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    Forcing fqs to 3 gives flickering, kinda looks like black/white horizontal stripes. I can see two frames at the same time, one of them has an offset of 1/3 of the screen. Default and 1 works just fine.

I'm not sure what is to blame here, maybe crossfire (13.2 B6), Radeon Pro (fqs) or Valley.

Flip Queue Size on 1 seems to work very well in all games except CS:GO, not sure why it behaves like it does but I don't mind the performance loss. The engine mights be designed with buffered frames in mind, but if there is a delay, then it's not worth it.

16. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    I swapped a gtx580 out for the 7970, it was only then I started having issues... I've not heard of core park, I'll have a look at it after I try radeon pro out.

edit: radeon pro seems to have fixed stuttering with dynamic vsync 120hz

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. Progeny

Progeny Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 DC2T @ 1300 MHz
    I have a problem with Crysis 3, 7970 ghz doesn't run at 1050 but instead goes anywhere between that and let's say 700 mhz. Anyone have the same issue?

18. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    13.2 Beta6 makes textures a bit dull or less vivid in Gears of War, Metro 2033, Rage and Stalker CoP. Also it causes severe light flickering in Rage when AA is set to x8. Generally image quality seems to be worse.

Uninstalling this driver and installing an older one like 12.10 causes "program stopped respoding" in CCC.exe, MMLoadDrv.exe, dxdiag.exe, steam and flash. I submitted this issue to AMD.

I would backup registry before installing beta drivers at least until AMD fixes it.

AMD probably "optimized' this driver by simply reducing image quality to run Crysis 3.

19. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
  20. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I'd like to see screenshot proof of this, or this is just "I feel it looks worse" post, which you have every right to have, but you should declare it as such instead of saying it looks worse and present it as fact without proof

I personally found no image quality difference between 12.4 up to 13.2 beta six, other then speed improvements here and there, zero image quality difference