AMD Catalyst 12.x (8.960.0 February 28) Unofficial BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by marthand, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Kruse

Kruse Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    Why does it say Catalyst version 11.8 when I install these drivers?

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

And yet you have the time to get angry at a troll, and type a huge wall of text that contains maybe 2/3'rds actual info, 1/3'rd you bashing the other person (if I want to have a bunch of irrelevant info presented to me along with relevant info, I'll go watch a YouTube video)

If he was in fact trolling, he was successful, and will continue to be successful so long as you keep getting angry at him. Simple solution? Stop typing walls of rage to fuel him. This is the internet :roll:

And for some actual feedback on this driver, my clock speeds don't seem to drop past 850Mhz (on core and mem) on GPU-Z. I'm not sure if this is because of these drivers, or the fact that I flashed a modified BIOS to my card to manually set the max clock speeds to 850mhz.

In any case though, GPU Caps Viewer is correctly showing my clock speed idle and when I play flash content. So there seems to be something strange going on between GPU Caps Viewer and GPU-Z.

Also I notice no problems on my 5570 with Skyrim, Dota 2, or APB: Reloaded.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    You make a good point. Thanks.

4. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Let me get this straight. All this hubub is over an XP driver? For god's sake AMD, ditch XP support already. Make one more stable driver and thats it. Put the resources spent supporting that old dinosaur into support for other things, like proper crossfire and better support for modern O/S's.
    F@ck XP, it's really starting to be more trouble than it's worth.

5. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    that's actually very good advice..
    when chasing drivers, it's worth remembering that XP's support will dwindle..

Windows7 has been thoroughly tested and is the obvious upgrade..
    it does a lot of the driver-searching, etc - for you automatically..:)

I know that may not apply when testing BETA's,
    but Windows7 really does solve a lot of XP's inherent quirks at a stroke..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Elvis, no, the bug I mentioned affected *both* 7 and XP. But 7 had an updated CCC for that driver within a week (and since then, a few more releases). XP hasn't been updated so the last beta driver was the same affected one as the 7 driver.

7. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    This is what the difference has been like between AMD and Nvidia, past, present and future. AMD will chuck out a dozen products and wont be able to support any of them properly while nvidia concentrate on outstanding customer and product support but less products.
    I bet SLI users don't get flashing texture while playing skyrim, oh yes they've had TWO yes TWO performance drivers since release, and what do we get ? don't even go there. read the relase notes for 12.2 whql they acknowledge AA corruption in skyrim on certain products, but say nothing on crossfire flickering, thanx AMD > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy0MagbEsA *STROBE TASTIC*

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    No flashings crossfire problem here with Skyrim, perhaps it's not AMD's driver?

9. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    @Del_Boy
    Not entirely true, Nvidia sure has a major driver support but yet some of them are experiencing SLI issues.
    Google search:
    Skyrim SLI problem --> 357k results
    Skyrim Crossfire problem --> 359k results, while you need to be aware that according to the steam hw survey only 39% of the users have AMD cards. So if you compare it directly there are loads mors AMD users reporting problems.

Yet I blame Bethseda for using that engine to begin with. Its not like someone with a HD69xx/HD6870 series card would be GPU bottlenecked.

@Shadow_Craft
    Hell yes it is, it was introduced in the 11.11 driver.

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    . But there was NO Feb 14 leak for XP that supported 7970.

WTF are doing in XP that requires that amount of GPU power obviously nothing that requires DX10 or 11 pffft idiots and their epeen

11. Valagard

Valagard Guest

*shrugs* Why are you arguing with each other about people who want to use XP with modern hardware?

You can't reason with stubborn people, if they don't want too use their hardware properly, that's their prerogative

However, them sitting there and bitching and moaning like spoiled five year olds cause a OS the hardware was never intended for is not eagerly supported, they need to get off their damn high horses.

You brought this on yourself, you know XP is a dead OS, crying about how "Wah they don't support XP with my new 2012 DX11.1 $700 videocard!" I want to smack the effing stupid out of you. You're just as bad as people that use Linux and then complain that companies don't flock too you with drivers

If you pick a non-mainstream OS, and yes, XP is non-mainstream, do not sit there and whine when you are not addressed first and foremost by hardware makers, they have not had a reason to deal with you since near the end of windows vista/beginning of windows 7, and even then it was a stretch cause people have been telling you to build a PC with at least 8 gigs of ram since the very MOMENT Vista launched, something WinXP can't do

So again, all of you yelling at the guy cause he won't upgrade too XP, just ignore him, let him hold his breath, stomp his feet and complain all he wants, nothing you say or do will change his mind

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Report away.
    If you had been around this forum for any length of time you would know that trolling is one thing I never do.

As for the rest of your post - tl;dr.

Btw, I'm running 3 Sony G520 CRT's with DVI to VGA connection and have never had this "bug".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  13. {WOR}lock

{WOR}lock Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3090
    Since you didn't read it I'll re-iterate what Falkentyne linked by saying I also experienced this same bug as was posted over at Rage3d with 7970s in crossfire on Windows 7 x64.

Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant to me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I am getting reports of user aggression in this thread, lets keep it civil.

Let us not let it get out of hand.

15. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Give us a 12.4 preview! I'm getting tired of shadows drawing themselves in on the last few driversets.

16. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    +1! An updated 8.96 would be great :D

17. Portman87

Portman87 Member Guru

GPU:
    NITRO RX 480 8GB
    I have the same problem.

18. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Valagard, are you aware that I use Windows 7 as my main OS and I dual boot XP for older games? And I have a massive game library on XP that simply don't want to migrate over to 7 and reinstall everything (sometimes getting saves fixed is a problem, and a massive chore).

Are you even aware that a dual boot is possible?

You really shouldn't assume things about people that you have absolutely NO idea about. You could have asked me nicely, first. Would have avoided this and your apparent unhappiness at "moving to a modern OS that I have had for two years now" (yes I bought windows 7 when it first came out).

My hardware:

Core i7-2600k @ 5 ghz
    AMD HD 7970
    3.5 TB HDD space.
    16 GB Gskill 1600 ddr3 hz's
    Gigabyte P67A UD5 B3.
    Creative X-FI PCIE Fatal1ty Titanium Champion/I/O panel.
    Windows 7 SP1 (Main), XP (secondary OS).

So, how about an apology for flaming me when you knew absolutely nothing about my system? Thanks.

I love how trolls come and get angry because someone uses XP and they act like they know everything about a person's system or needs.

*Oh, and another edit*.
    Another reason I use XP for older games is because CCC Vsync seems to be completely busted in windows 7, and if the game doesn't have vsync controls (DX8/9 games), it's either always on or always off. For example, Maplestory in windows 7 ALWAYS have vsync enabled. And disabling it in Radeon Pro does NOT work (prefer to disable it since theres some mouse floatiness in that 2D game). And using radeon pro to force vsync in certain games causes problems with hack detection and being kicked out of games. In XP= flawless.

(Funny enough, I remember CCC vsync working for DX9 games on my hd 6970....)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  19. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Anyways... what I learnt from buying new hardware is... Especially now with AMD Radeon Products.... I should definately wait for them to develope working drivers before purchase.

I will watch closely at the Nvidia drivers when they release Kepler. If they have real support for all operating systems at launch we will know which company is better.

20. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Nvidia's driver support is no better them AMD's

If you think one is better then the other, you are playing a losing game.

All I hear daily from AMD camp is "Crossfire isn't working!"

All I hear daily from Nvidia camp is "Display driver stopped responding!"

You will never, ever win this game if you think one is better then the other. Just won't happen.