AMD Catalyst 12.x (8.950.5 February 24) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    That's sorta what I meant by on your end, it could be compatibility issues.

I run a 27" Acer 12,000,000:1 2 ms LED monitor, but Skyrim is perfectly fine.

It's hard to say, as this driver fixed the issue for many 6 series users. I know it runs perfect on my 7970's.

So it seems to be a 6 series crossfire issue for sure.

But I'd just like to point out too, it seems most not all, but most of the issues come from mobile users.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    It is an issue for 5 series crossfire too :(

3. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Face flicker is gone here and so is the menu's yellow flickering screen from hell. This driver is working perfectly and the game looks simply gorgeous. As far as the whole game flickering maybe try reseating your card or get a new one? No driver has caused that type of problem .... with my series anyway.

No issue at all with 5000 series crossfire working prefect.

Regards

4. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Strange about skyrim flicker. I don't have it whatsoever. No menu issues, or anything apparent.

I run everything on ultra that can be set that way. I have .ini tweaks in effect and ENB series. That's all I can think of that may be different. But none of those things should improve flickering or texture absences.

I do though, have almost all custom textures and use radeon pro as a launcher with forced Triple buffer. But again, I can't imagine why those things would make a difference.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Well the official textures for Skyrim are kinda crap and rushed. The textures from the mod community are much more clean and detailed.

But, yeah I agree. I don't get why others experience the issue.

6. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    It must be drivers because when i roll back to 11.11 skyrim is fine but other games run crap. my video card is a duel gpu board (not two 6870's) so its pushing two 6870 gpu's through one pci express socket, its here > http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/31185-powercolor-radeon-hd-6870-x2-graphics-card-review/
    i'm wondering if AMD aren't supporting these properly, wouldn't surprise me.

7. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

tried this with bf3. normally i play everything ultra, fullhd, msaa4x, post AA high, no motion blur, 60fps except some times with zoom on big maps.

now i tried same settings, lowering msaa to 2x and enabling MLAA (i have a cross of 6950 unlocked to full spec 6970).

IQ drammatically goes up and the smoothness seems to be higher! great driver set :)

8. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Great drivers for me on single 7970.

Adaptive and Supersample MSAA modes now work for DX10 & 11.
    Just confirmed this in BF3 :banana:
    (note ingame MSAA needs to be set on for it to work afaik)

'Adaptive' really cleans up all the shimmering fences and wires :)
    Not seen to much of on fps hit yet.

'Supersample' does aswell but hits fps badly of course.

Not tried the new MLAA 2.0 yet, because im happy with ingame MSAA with Adaptive enabled in drivers, then a dose of SMAA Ultra thrown in for good measure.
    Epic IQ.

Edit:
    Just did another test - disabled SMAA and enabled driver MLAA. Seemed to work ok actually, no blurring and IQ was nice. Not sure it was as good as SMAA but there was negligible performance hit if any (SMAA takes 3-4fps for comparison)
    Will need to test more and try to get some screenies but looks like the driver MLAA may finally be worthwhile !!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  9. ipredator

ipredator Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    I second that. 11.10 and 11.11 non-*b-*c did not have that face/menu flickering. My external display (since I'm not playing on my laptop screen) is a LG Cinema 3D Monitor, but that should not be the issue since its also flickering if I actually am playing on my laptop screen. As Del_Boy I tried every possible fix, tweaks, disabling's, using .dll's from older drivers and putting them into Skyrim's dir, Crossfire option but so far we haven't come to a good end.
    It's nice to hear that the flickering is gone now for some 6k and 5k users, indicating that AMD's working on it, but they didn't fix it entirely yet.
    Its not on "our end" since we surely know how to do a proper fresh install.

10. cesaroco

cesaroco Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD7970
    For MLAA you use ingame AA ? or MLAA alone ?

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I don't believe the HD 6870 X2 was an AMD/ATI thing anyway. I thought that was something their partners cooked up?

Maybe that is the problem also.

12. ipredator

ipredator Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    @Del_Boy
    Astounding news
    I messed around with CCC settings and found out that if you force AA 16x!!! the flickering disappears. But with that setting, the FPS drop to ~45 which I get with 1 card and standard AA. Not a permanent fix, but something to work on. Maybe you can help me mess around, since I have to sleep a bit :p

13. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Irrelevant. Xfired 6970's are more powerful than any 7900. Maybe you can enable the goodies with a hack, like you had to do with the 5800 in order to get MLAA back when the 6x00 series was released.

Understand what? Dude may have anger issues, but he's right. 6900 users (especialy xfire users) paid a lot of money for their cards. ATI holding out because of software is BS(I remember reading something, somewhere about this junk being enabled for previous gen later on - so there is hope). It's just like Creative behaves. If thats the case, then AMD is truly dead.

14. Thalyn

Thalyn Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 980 DCU2
    MLAA works independant of any in-game AA settings. It's applied after-the-fact, which is why it can also work on deferred rendering (eg GTA-IV).

However my experience suggests it's still a good idea to enable at least 2x MSAA at the same time as MLAA, when possible. I've no idea why but it seems to help clean up text - even with MLAA 2.

15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    hardly irrelevant, xfire is niche...

mainstream, and most of their profit, is mid boards...

if it cant perform, there is no advantage to enabling it and having them perform poorly...

16. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    x16 AA is not there for me in ccc, only goes up to x8, maybe its a 68xx to a 69xx ccc thing. eg, I noticed my 4890 only had mutisample and adaptive but when i got my 5870 superslample was also there.

All in all i'm pretty p1ssed at AMD because ive had my 6870x2 since September and its spent most of the time with crossfire disabled due to frequent crossfire problems, so ive essentially spent £313 for a single 6870:bang: suffice to say this will be my first and last crossfire set up.

man i feel sorry for the first crossfire users back in the day of the x850 and x1900 those drivers must have been utter sh1t, he he.

17. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I don't really know how to rate this driver release, so I'll sum up what has changed for me.

-For the first time in many releases "V-Sync" seems to be working.
    -Reduced stuttering in a few games but has caused mouse lag (due to V-Sync) and slightly lower fps, around -2 -3.
    -Still have very stock standard options in "CCC" for 4xxx cards.

Overall, a very good driver. But I am still getting that (Can not initialize ATIPDLXX library) with "Ati Tray Tools."

Thought I better be a good **** and put up some benchmarks.

benchmark3d. com/amd-catalyst-8-950-5-24-feb-benchmark

18. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti
    What is the best CAP with this?

19. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Let me choose whether to use it myself. My setup can handle it. I'll choose whether to use it, not some suit in a boardroom. BTW, most of their profit is from their customers. Period. Niche or not. So yeah, irrelevant.

20. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    tried these on my ati 4890 cf and cf works but gpu load peaked once at 60% then stayed around 35% in arma2 which is no good....when is the Nvidia 680 out!!!