1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Catalyst 12.7 (8.981.2.0 June 26) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    So where do you get the ghz edition Bios? (and since Bios editing isn't possible ATM, I need a Bios with 1.175 vGPU voltage). Is that even available on ghz editions?

2. defcoms

defcoms Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    You can get it here. I would read through the threads here and see if your card has been flashed successfully.

I did some OC on my cards via AMD Overdrive. I took them to 1180/1500 and the voltage peaked at 1.24v reported by GPU-z. Any higher then that and I would get corrupt graphics.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Thanks, I'll try that and see if it stops any black screens and 100% fan heart attacks......

4. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Too all of you having grey screen issues etc, have you tried, I dunno, lowering your overclocks back to stock etc before trying more game benches?

I'm just wondering cause a ton of you said updating your mobo bios fixed your game crashes, when typically all bios updates do is improve motherboard speed/stability, especially for overclocking

Like my mobo with launch bios I needed 1.370 volts for stable, but four months later with the newer bios I got too 1.360, fast forwards to a half a year ago and now I can do 1.350 stable, and all just because of bios updates

5. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Just a quick info from my side - 12.6 was crashing like crazy in 2D mode ( heaps of crashes all related to browser / video hardware acceleration ) sometimes the driver recovered, most of the time it didnt. 12.7 seems to have fixed this its now been running for some time without any crashes.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Ok I'm back.
    I crossflashed my Sapphire reference hd 7970 with the "Unofficial' AMD Ghz bios cross flasher, and it fixed ALL of the problems with the 12.7's.

First I haven't had any GSOD's or black screens with 100% fan's yet after the crossflash.

CCC overdrive ranges were GREATLY extended.
    default 3d voltage lowered to 1.131 instead of 1.175, not sure if I need to change it thanks to that boost thing, but easily fixed with Trixx.

can do same clocks as before (1150/1700).

Most important thing is, the 2d voltages were BACK to 0.850v, just like they were with the 12.5's and older drivers with the regular 7970's, instead of the 0.804-0.79v->GSOD seen with the 12.6/12.7's. So it is DEFINITELY a problem with the drivers and the older non ghz cards, just as one of you suspected way back. And nothing to do with overclocking (some people had the GSOD at stock clocks).

Still need to test the XP 12.6 to see if it works with this bios or not.

If Rich_guy had known about this bios flash before selling his card, I think he would be VERY happy with the 12.7's now.

7. Luke7

Luke7 Active Member

GPU:
    4 GB
    Hi Falkentyne

Do you have a link to the flash version you downloaded?

Regards Luke

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its all here :- http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=365632

:)

I havn't sold it yet, so might give the BIOS flash a go, and if it works, then bugger knows what im gona do, as got a 670 now as well. :p

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Ok well the default 3d voltage is 1.187v not 1.131v. Seems like Trixx can't identify the voltage correctly, and it also can't change the voltages either (haven't tried AB for that). Still haven't had a single lockup or crash since doing the crossflash. I *highly* recommend you at least try the flash. Remember you can save the stock bios with gpu-z 0.6.3 and use the backup write proteced Bios switch to recover if the flash fails (switch to backup, reboot to DOS prompt, switch to primary, flash with atiflash with a USB boot disk).

*edit* give the bios flash a try, Rich, if you're still here. All you have to do is reinstall drivers afterwards. However any saved profiles will not work (idk why...), you have to delete any old profiles and make new ones, then you're good to go.

So far the only drawback I've seen is you can't change voltages with Trixx anymore. Even though Trixx changes something and saves it, it doesn't seem to affect the current 3D voltage. Even though Afterburner is reading the "voltage" trixx changes, but still says it's 1.187v (which is default)...(this may explain why no one was able to overclock on ghz editions higher after changing voltages yet, tools may need to be rewritten for that).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    ^so does voltage control work? cause i need about 1.243 for my 1200 oc and 1.618 for my memory oc.

11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    I haven't seen it work yet. The real question to ask is if anyone with an original ghz card has voltage control working? (just to be sure). I do remember in the hardOCP review, they were not able to get 1 more mhz on the card even with 1.3 voltage, which seems to imply that the tools need to be updated.

12. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    nice driver
    run super whit 7970 sapphire org bios an MSI onlock bios/msiafterburner 2.2.1

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Might just flog mine on tbh, as im happy with me 670, can't really see a difference in performance, seems the same to me, probably only tell if i run fraps to see the actual frames, plus its got a better cooler on it as well, and im only at 1080p, so 2gbs enough v-ram really, plus it saves me from taking the 670 out and popping the 7970 back, as its a right faff on, tight fit :p

14. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    In battlefield multyplayer it's better gtx 670 or hd 7970?

I want to take 60 costant, and 2 msaa, not all ultra ;)

I have hard problems with hd 7970 and drivers 12.7 black screen and 100% fan...

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nvidias better in BF3 as far as i know, so 670.

16. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    Yeah AMD definitely concedes to Nvidia in BF3. Not really sure why tho. AMD's extra VRAM should make Ultra easy, but even heavily overclocked it still lags behind NV.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Maybe in FPS, but not IQ. If you enable Supersampling in CCC, you get a HUGE IQ jump, that really outshines Nvidia.

18. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I get constant 60fps and my 7970 only ever has 80% load max with BF3.

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    Touche!

Yes no one is denying it can't maintain 60FPS but if you bench the 2 without v-synch the 680 is clearly ahead.

20. defcoms

defcoms Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    I am getting a constant 60+ fps ultra settig no MSAA, using FXAA in BF3 @ 5970x1080 eyefinity. Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm I get some dips into the 50's. The new drivers and ghz edtion vBios working awesome. No more black screen and 100% fan Woohoo....!