AMD Catalyst 12.4 (8.961 April 5) AMD Official WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kyz, Apr 25, 2012.

1. athanor

athanor New Member

Tried these with crossfire 7970s and had to system restore back to 12.3. Even with Caps using the 12.4s for some reason one card clocks down to idle 500/150 speeds and seems to stay there during BF3, even though gpu1 is at 1000/1425 and both cards seem to be using some gpu.

Rolling back to 12.3 and they both work just fine at 1000/1425 utilised at 90% +. Anyone else seen this and any ideas on a fix? Tried the usual remove drivers, clean install, driver sweeper in safe mode etc.

2. joepesci

joepesci Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire, HD 7970 OC, 3GB
    I just installed my new 7970 into an older system, as my 8800 ultra died.

I have the black screen issue, which is always there when starting the system (doesn't happen after a reboot).

If I disconnect the DVI monitor cable from the GPU twice, I have an image and everything is perfect (games, benchmarks etc.).

This is annoying, and I have no idea what the problem is. Gonna try older drivers now, currently running 12.4.

3. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Guest

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    Postman, do you only use the WHQL drivers?

4. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Caution when rolling back..

Just wanted to raise awarness that when rolling back to a previous driver and using a driver sweeper or cleaner utility may make it difficult to reinstall. After trying to install 12.3 again I got an 'inf file not found' error from the 12.3 installer and install failure after reboot. I found a solution on HF that you got to go to device manager and update the gpu drivers pointing it to the temporary 'AMD' folder including subdirectories. That will fix that problem.

Some of you have questioned why even use driver cleaners. Well sometimes when switching gpu cards from one brand to another it helps get a clean install and its well known to help solve performance issues (if it doesnt delete system files). As far as Nvidia better or not vs ATi to me it seems like they take turns and I have had bad driver releases from Nvidia especially with Sli tech. Right now though i think nvidia has better driver support though i am sure that can change at a drop of a hat! Who knows!

Thanks.

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    This black screen occurs when you power the system on?

Which motherboard you have?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I normally stick to whql drivers. Unless there is a known bug in one whql, I try betas. However, I know that with betas some problems may appear.

Crossfire is not perfect by any means but I advise people to not "tweak" too much because it is more likely to find problems that way.

I also advise people to not use third party installers. Drivers come with one already. My steps for new drivers are pretty simple:

I use the Catalyst install manager from control panel
    Uninstall the driver and reboot
    Install new driver and reboot
    Done

7. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    +1
    Though sometimes I don't even uninstall older drivers. The installer does it by itself.

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Just uninstalled the 18th April Betas because looked like IQ had gone down in BF3.
    Textures not as sharp as the 15th March Beta.

Just installed these 12.4 WHQL's and they seem good.
    Very nice IQ in BF3

9. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Disabling HT for a 2600K is silly, you essentially bought a 2500K at that point

And BF3 most of the stuttering comes because even if you have enough ram it refuses to let go of the page file, disabling the page file helps the stuttering in BF3 and other game engines like it in literally like 99.999999999999999999% of cases

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I fail to understand why the pagefile has any effect on BF3 as software can't directly access the pagefile....but, that seems to be the solution to stuttering for both AMD and nVidia graphics cards.

That seems to work fine in most cases. In rare occassions where it doesn't work, I run CCleaner to remove left over registry entries.

11. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    sykozis, I'll give you another myth you won't understand: I had HT turned off for BF3 since it caused microstuttering in previous driver. Recently I turned it on for video encoding and tried if BF3 was any better... you know what? Punkbuster kicked me on every server after 2minuits for lost file packages. I went straight into the bios and turned it off again, Punkbuster was fine again.

12. joepesci

joepesci Guest

GPU:
    The black screen occurs after the "starting windows" screen when I power the system on. I can hear the windows start sound, but the screen stays black. As said, unplugging the DVI monitor cable twice brings the image back.

The HD 7970 will stay for like 3 days in my old PC, until my new Z77 system parts arrive. I'm just afraid that it's a GPU hardware issue, so I'd have to send it back soon, if that's the case. On the other hand, the internet is full of "AMD black screen" reports, though none of them provide a solution or a reason for the issue.

My current system (temporary for the 7970):
    [​IMG]

13. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Driver problem sounds like..

Sounds like its a driver problem. I would reinstall the drivers and try different versions. For one thing I wonder if you would still get the black screen if the drivers were completely removed?

Anyhow any of you guys got very slow performance with 12.4? Wonder what configs you guys have?

Going to submit catalyst crew feedback..

14. joepesci

joepesci Guest

GPU:
    I completely wiped the HDD and freshly installed Win 7 and the 12.4 driver, still the same issue. Also the same with the 12.2 driver.

It's annoying... as the GPU works perfectly in games and benchmarks, it just doesn't put out an image to the screen until being unplugged twice after system start... I just hope this won't be the case in the new system aswell.
    I also think it is a driver problem, but a general one for all AMD drivers or/and a compatibility issue to my other components.

This is my first AMD card ever, so I'm new to the CCC.
    I found an option, which already annoys me due to it's existence only:
    [​IMG]
    Checking it didn't change a thing. I thought it would, as it's description pretty much matches the problem I have.

15. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Try a different resolution

Try a different screen resolution with a different frequency and also try installing drivers for your monitor if they are available. Also does it matter which port your plugged into on the back of the gpu card?

16. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I dont like that the 12.4 drivers disable AMD overdrive in windows XP. However the fixes in Windows XP were amazing.

Windows 7...well.. it broke a few things...
    But its something i can live with.

I would prefer a manual switch in ULPS in Catalyst control center.

Im smart enough to know when I'm gonna leave my computer on for hours. IF it had like a sleep mode switch in the Catalyst control center it would be really cool instead of this automatic switch that seems to have gotten broken and I have to constantly worry about now with newer drivers. Obviously it must be really easy to break.

For now i have ulps disabled but I am underclocking the cards to save on power while my computer is doing a backup that takes 12 hours.

Theres work arounds for stuff... I still like my two cards. It will get fixed. Edit: I still have faith in AMD lol AND i just notice MSI afterburner has a 2d/3d profile setting so it might even be more reliable than auto stuff going on ...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  17. joepesci

joepesci Guest

GPU:
    - installed WMGX3 drivers for Win7 x64, didn't change a thing --> black screen
    - it does not matter which GPU output I use (tried DVI and HDMI with converter) --> black screen
    - changed resolution to 1440x900 --> it works, no black screen
    - discovered something new: when I cycle through all available inputs with the input selector button of my monitor, I get an image when I get to select the DVI input! I never had issues with this monitor with my previous nVidia card, and after all, this was one of the more expensive monitors (700 EUR).
    - if I use a HDMI cable, from GPU HDMI output to monitor HDMI input, then the problem does not exist! The problem persists if I use the GPU HDMI output to the monitor DVI input, via converter.

I guess it's a compatibility issue between these two, HD 7970 and WMGX3 at native resolution while using the DVI monitor input. This NEVER happened with my previous 8800 ultra.

Just one quick question: unplugging and plugging cables into the GPU doesn't potentially damage anything, while the system is running?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  18. Valagard

Valagard Guest

No, it won't damage anything, the system will just treat it as a monitor being disconnected and reconnected, like the monitor lost power etc

19. Abyssul

Abyssul Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870 XFX
    Currently running a single 6870 with dual monitors. Catalyst 12.3 worked fine, but 12.4 causes my 2nd monitor (a HDTV through VGA-to-DVI adapter) to glitch out and display crazy things.

Just thought I'd report my findings. I just went back to 12.3 since it works fine.

20. Wojszwillo

Wojszwillo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD7870
    I never uninstall older drivers, install new ones over older ones if can say so. Never had a problem