AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview Driver (8.940.0 January 20) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MichaelT

MichaelT Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    Problems with Installation

I joined the forum so I could suggest a couple things to help some people here. I have seen alot of people having issues with installs. For anybody using Windows 7, I have a "try it at your own risk" solution that has worked for me. There are some built in compatibility features in Windows 7 that cause strange errors quite often, especially with software installations. These "services" frequently "lock" certain files (anything executable) and degrade the performance of the OS itself. They are there to help incompatible applications run on windows 7. I have no such applications, so no harm done by disabling these "services" for me. To disable them, you must edit group policy.
    1. Hold the windows key and press R. In the run box type gpedit.msc
    2. Expand computer configuration, administrative templates, windows components, and select application compatibility folder. There are eight settings there. Enable the 3rd through the 7th. Close the editor.
    3. Hold windows key and press R. Type in services.msc in the run box.
    4. Find the diagnostic policy service and the program compatibility assistant service. Double click each one of them and change the startup type to disabled. Reboot. Hope this helps some people here. I also stop all the AMD services before I do an install (external events utility, etc.) I have only ever used the AMD uninstaller (no driver sweeper, atiman, etc.) and have never had an issue with any driver install. I've installed all the hotfix and beta drivers since 11.5. I currently have the Jan 17th 8.95 with CCC from 12.2 preview working perfectly here.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Just an FYI that I removed my drivers yesterday 12.1a to go to these.

Used ATIMan for the first time too. Ran it and it removed driver and completed okay. Reboot, installed 12.2, reboot and driver is installed but CCC is nowhere to be found. Doesn't load when I execute.

This time go to add/remove, remove the driver from here. Then use driver sweeper.. cleaned it out, reboot.

Install once more, reboot.

This time everything is good. No trouble thus far. In skyrim performance appears to be good, but this is the only game I'm playing currently so I don't have a wide sample pool to comment on. CCC works fine for me and is playing nice with AB.

Gonna stick with them for now.

3. AZONIC[rus]

AZONIC[rus] Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb
    Friend, could you help me? How can I extract CCC2 from 12.2? The file is *.exe

4. beastieg

beastieg New Member

GPU:
    Dual 7970s (OC), 1225mhz
    Asder, works like a charm. Thanks for providing 12.2 preview to all 7970 users. I've used the drivers in 3Dmark vantage, Heaven 2.5, BF3, Skyrim, and Batman Arkham. I just signed up on the forums to let you knwo how much I appreciate it.

5. PolishTechGuy

PolishTechGuy Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780GHz
    ATIMan Uninstaller + Driver Cleaner + Registry cleanup:

- No OD
    - No AA
    - No CrossFire

6. Johnny Rook

Johnny Rook Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3Gb
    Do you have Windows 7 SP1 installed or not? I ask because I tried this driver on a Windows 7 fresh install (no SP1, but Microsof.Net Framework 4 was updated) and the drivers didn't recognize CF either.

Johnny

7. MichaelT

MichaelT Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    I can tell you what I did.

Ran AMD 12.2 installer and chose uninstall, then custom. Uninstalled CCC only. Reboot and stop AMD services (External events utility, etc.) Reran installer and chose custom again. Installed CCC only. Reboot. Done.

All of this was done after installing 8.95 Jan. 17th of course.

8. Radier

Radier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470 4 GB
    I have run clean install twice and still no Overdrive and AA in CCC as well as voltage in MSI Afterburner.

9. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    A troll? No sir thats the thing from the beginning. Its all about frame rate, you just don't know how to read.

10. dakronic

dakronic Active Member

GPU:
    ATI - HD6950 - 2GB

i will give these drvers a test out :)

11. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Master Guru

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    No I'm not running a slip streamed windows. I installed Win 7 & SP 1 with all current updates. When I was running the last beta of Win 7, I was using nVidia cards. I understand that win 7 has removed all drivers from the OS kernel to get around the problems XP had when a driver crashed. Now a driver can crash & not take your OS with it. However, at that time of the beta, I was frequently changing vid card drivers using just the W-7 Control Panel and after installing a new driver, I started to get poor performance. After uninstalling and cleaning out the last remnants of the driver, I always found the newer drivers to install well & run well.

I'm quite surprised at the "controversy" of using third party ware for specific driver removal or manually cleaning out the files & registry entries. I wish I didn't need to. In reading this thread, there are a number of problems such as CCC not starting. I mistakenly installed the 12.1a drivers and CCC would not run when right clicked. I read the fine print to find out that 5xx cards were not supported. That explained why CCC would not start. I also find it interesting when Catalyst Creator responds to a forum member here that a thorough driver cleaning could be beneficial. I have also read of forum members reinstalling the entire OS when a driver install is problematic. That solves all problems, but it is time consuming.

Regarding my Win 7 install, it seems pretty solid. I did have a problem when using hibernation. I changed some ram settings and didn't think I had done anything extreme. However, the ram errored, BSOD'd and took out the hibernation image in the process. After some trying, I was able to get the OS back up and turn off hibernation. After cleaning the registry, reinstalling a couple of drivers, the OS is back up and has been stable for the past 6 months or so. Should I have reinstalled? Probably,but I don't see any real problems. I can crunch all day with no errors. All games / programs run fine. I did get some ATIxx.sys BSOD's related to BF3 & eyefinity using the 12.1 drivers. Hopefully, the 12.2 drivers have fixed that bug.

12. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Sadly sailin I was in the past getting plenty of bsod from software. Windows 7 haaaaates mixed drivers and sometimes it gets to the point you just cannot remove them. At that point reformatting is the key.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    TO:
    I can read just fine. Take note of the bold portions of your post. LOL, it's not about just frame rates. You are all over the map with problems.

All you should do is just uninstall the drivers using it's add/remove program. That's it really. Like I said before, the people I've seen with similar problems have some sort of slip stream OS, etc (or altered version installed) and for whatever reason they get those problems.

The only other time I've seen someone have problems is when they install some home brew driver mod. Where AMD's add/remove uninstall process doesn't fully remove everything.

Edit:
    I've also learned to uninstall the drivers before using the restore function.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  14. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Pros
    +Gave me 66 fps avg in Heaven benchmark at 1080p
    +Arkham City, which didn't work with crossfire previously, now works now. Runs smoothly at 1080P (65 FPS avg), max settings, DX11 features on with tessellation on High,
    +Graphical artifacts I was experiencing in Crysis were fixed.
    +IQ appeared noticeably better than my previous November-build drivers.
    Cons
    Battlefield 3 stutters in multiplayer games now.
    Temps appeared a few degrees warmer

15. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Totally fresh Windows 7 (64bit) install....all windows updates done.

12.2 preview drivers installed.

When I select OVERDRIVE...I get the warning page...when I click ACCEPT it takes me back to the page that shows Check for Driver update / Contact Customer Care etc etc....and the option to select overdrive is gone.

Only when I close CCC and reopen it does the overdrive option appear but I am still unable to get the overdrive page.

16. PolishTechGuy

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780GHz
    Win7 Ultimate SP1, up to date.

This is obviously the drivers fault.

17. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

As ScoobyDooby pointed out, using the regular uninstall method after using atiman uninstaller fixed his missing CCC problems. Although it's not the same exact problem as missing features in CCC, etc it does seem to relate CCC problems in general. PolishTechGuy, I have no idea what atiman uninstaller does or why your found it necessary to use it but it worth looking.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. PolishTechGuy

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780GHz
    Shouldn't make a difference tbh, cba to try it again anyway, i'll stick with the 12.1 WHQL driver.

19. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If, imo, it was a driver problem many would be posting about it, creating new threads about it, etc. After all this time that just ain't happening.

Have a look at CCC's "Information" then look at "Software". Use the regedit feature in windows and navigate to the 2D Driver File Path listed in CCC. Look at the .../0000 and .../0000/UMD sub keys and take note of the information there. When you decide to install another driver again take another look. If you have the same problem see if the information is there or not.

20. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680SLI
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012