AMD Catalyst 12.11 (9.010.8 December 2) AMD Official BETA 11

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Dec 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. left4dead

left4dead Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970
    far cry 3 is crashing randomly and still stutters.
    alan wake american nightmare is flickering a lot.
    crysis 1 is flickering.
    crysis 2 works great, alan wake 1 works great, AVP works great, sniper ghost warrior works great.

2. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Copying files from one drive to another is in no way "heavy usage".

What are the rest of your system components?

What temperature is your CPU and video card getting to when playing games?

What power supply do you have?

What is the ambient temperature compared to the temperature inside your computer case? You may not have adequate airflow through the case.

3. tecra_user

tecra_user New Member

More info

I think that transferring 2 terabytes between 2 SATA3 drives in a constant stream is a heavy load, but I guess that is considered a low load (it's above normal usage in any case).

I also ran rendering tests, used a ASUS 7700HD card (which hung the system 3 times faster under windows than the 7950HD) rolled back the driver to 12.10 (still hangs) dialed card down to min specs.
    I have an Intel Core i7-3930K (even running at 3.2 the system hangs) with a GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 64GB DDR3 1600.
    Running Windows 7 the top temperature I usually see is 43C (across everything) under Linux that got up to about 50C without any hanging at all (this was because I let Linux take the CPU to 5.9 Ghz as the system was not hanging at all).
    I can hang the ASUS 7700HD in about ~50 minutes and the 7950HD takes about 180 minutes in Windows (the problem exists in both Windows 7 and 8 for me).
    Sadly I haven't been able to crash the system under Linux yet at all (though I tried).
    I am not pushing Linux over Windows, as I do depend on Microsoft products to make a living, I am just saying that I strongly believe that there is a problem.
    The same cards work perfectly in a AMD system (FX X4 4170, 16 Gigs, ASUS M5A97 PRO), and I've run burn in tests on the memory, used different drive controllers. I just haven't gone out and gotten an NVidia card yet because it's a pain to get parts where I am currently at.

I used to be a big fan of AMD, but I am losing my faith in them.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So, if I understand right, 2 cards (7700 and 7950) will hang on Windows 7/8 with GPU load (I'm guessing it doesn't do this with 12.10), but not on Linux, on the same computer; but those same cards work just fine in another computer?

If so... it sounds like an issue specific to that computer, instead of blaming AMD/drivers. If the issue is only happening on 12.11, but not 12.10; perhaps 12.11 drivers are making the GPU work harder and the PSU can't handle it? Maybe the chipset is overheating due to the extra GPU processing power?

5. lalaruako

lalaruako New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7670M
    okay. I am a total NOOB here when it comes to GPU Drivers

i have a SAMSUNG Laptop/Notebook
    -i5 3rd gen 3210M
    -AMD HD 7670M 1Gb (and an Intel 4000 integrated)
    -4GB RAM
    -Windows 7 x64 Home
    -and a Catalyst Control Center (that can enable/disable PowerPlay & Switchable Graphics Option)

*Do I just have to run & install the AMD 12.11 Beta 11 driver even if I have CCC installed?

*if this wont work and just crash, will System Restore work to fix the problem.

total GPU Newbie here.

6. sherrypizza

sherrypizza Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6990M 2GB
    Yes, just install these drivers. I got M17x R3 and switchable working perfectly.

7. lalaruako

lalaruako New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7670M

thanks.. ill try to install now..

if ever things go wrong after installation and crashes my system, will i be able to fix it using System Restore

8. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    thanks Asder

I wanted to congratulate Asder00 once more!

here again... simply the best I had yet from AMD for HD7970.
    I'm no more crashing in Far Cry3, which was happening a lot before these beta11+ cap2. I can play hours without problems.

I want to point out the Far Cry3 proved my overclock to be unstable!
    I could play Crysis1&2, Metro2033 and BF3 for hours with my prior overclock settings that I "thought stable:angel:"... but with Far Cry3, I had to bump up the voltage a FEW TIMES on both cards to prevent the artifacts (similar to BF3's artifacts) to happen.
    Far Cry3 is my new Overclock play test (Dx11, Settings Maxed out with 4xAA(enhanced in CCC))

I wouldn't be surprise many pre-overclocked VCards could be under volted enough to create problems and crashes with Far Cry3...

If you crash often or having textures anomalies in Far Cry3 (like I saw on some pictures and youtube videos), by any mean: try to downclock your video card by a fair margin. Only the test if it corrects the issues.
    Option 2 would be to increase the voltage of the video cards, but i wouldn't recommend that to a non-guru of the 3d user.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    DX11 is supossed to give better performance than DX9 at same quality levels :3eyes:

Are you sure its a 7000 series fault?

10. V1tol

V1tol Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I wrote this to a person, that played FC3 in DX9 and on 7750 card. And I ment if 6000 cards have better perfomance in DX11 than in DX9, how big boost he will got moving from DX9 to DX11 on 7000 card. I ment that in DX11 IS more fps, than in DX9, you just misunderstood me :)

11. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    What power supply do you have in the system that is having problems?

Have you tried different RAM? I have run into a couple systems recently that would pass all the the different RAM tests and stress tests for over 24 hours but the system was still having strange issues. Finally decided to stick different RAM in it, and all the problems suddenly went away.

Ended up RMA'ing that specific RAM and the replacement set has not given me any issues whatsoever.

Also, do you have the latest BIOS as well as chipset drivers for the system that is causing problems?

12. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7950-stumble-in-windows-8/10

Are frames fixed in beta 11 ?

13. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
  14. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    I have stuttering as well. A LOT of it. It is mostly noticeable in SSHD, when FPS drops around 1, but laggs like it dropped by 20.

15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    my skyrim is buttery smooth on ultra, and HD textures..

16. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    I'm just using the HD textures and SweetFX

17. abollo

abollo Member

GPU:
    HD7970
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ?

that was from November 12th...and its beta6

20. h220wnzj00

h220wnzj00 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Dual-X
    Anyone getting system freezes when they leave their computer on overnight? Computer under no load. This morning when I woke up, I had no keyboard control, the monitor had no connection and I had to do a reset. The only thing I can think of is that I left gpuz running in the background along with trixx. Not sure if the polling from the two simultaneously caused any issues