AMD Catalyst 12.11 (9.010.8 December 2) AMD Official BETA 11

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Dec 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. montafede

montafede New Member

GPU:
    ati 7970 dual-x
    Hello to all , all speaking about the feautures of new drivers.... but someone know when and if for hd series will go out?
    tank u

2. ankinferno

ankinferno Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    :3eyes: :confused: :bang: :eek3: :question: :frown:

Sorry,, but I did not understand a single word brother . . ???!!!!

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im just going to stick with the 12.11 Beta 11s until the next set of Beta drivers come out in the next few weeks, as as said above, the 13.1s, wont be that much different being a WHQL, as would have had to have been submitted weeks ago. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If GCN 1.0 is optimized as far as AMD can take it (there is only so much drivers can do to oudated hardware), then it's fair game.

Why would I want to halt further development because of my use of oudated hardware? Should I also tell game developers to keep developing for Windows 2000 since I use it? (I really don't use that OS lol)

5. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    Don't know about others, but I'm just excited about the memory controller changes and to see if AMD really does have something to resolve Tech Report's findings.

Also its not about the number of drivers, but the lack of properly functioning drivers. Too many mobile users are still struggling and can see desktop users are also angry.

It seems to me AMD is too focused on the.maximum FPS rather than just providing a smooth gaming experience.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The memory controller changes, are probably coming in the next betas.

7. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    People uses legacy and HD 5000-6000 cards. Windows 2000 is dead. You chose a bad example. It's like asking for a new service pack for Windows 98.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I suppose your right about it being a bad example, but still, if AMD optimized the older architecture to the best they could, what more can they do? I would rather them not just push out total placebo updates just to keep people happy... There comes a time where you'll just want to stop supporting older hardware (from a marketing standpoint anyway I guess).

AMD pushes unified drivers for 3 different architectures (maybe more?), 5k, 6k, and 7k series cards. If they didn't drop older HD series, that would also be a whole different range needed to have support. Then you'd either have chaos on certain architectures with newer drivers, larger driver packages, and etc.

I'm somewhat positive AMD has done a lot already for the 5k and 6k series cards. If there is more they can do, then it would probably be in there best interest to do so (but I really don't know what more needs done to cards in those architectures that hasn't been done already, then again I don't have any cards anymore from those architectures). 7k series introduces GCN, which AMD is also likely to improve upon and use in the 8k series, and on future products. The 5k and 6k series are probably not helping future development as much as the 7k is. The 7k series can still be improved upon a good bit though, like with that memory management re-write. The 5k and 6k series would likely not benefit from such a re-write.

Point I'm trying to make is, it would probably benefit AMD more to work more with the 7k series currently than older architectures since the technology behind the 7k series will be useful for future products.

9. Prasad007

Prasad007 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB
    What changes exactly?

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

11. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    So microstuttering is a latency problem?

12. Dynastar

Dynastar Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    Be patient,catalyst 13.1 should be out today as described on tweeter and catalyst 13.2 should be also available in a few incoming weeks.
    cheers ;)

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Is 13.1 going to be new driver or just a WHQL dressup on 12.11 Beta?

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    This is what a lot of people are thinking as like others have said it takes around 3 weeks for a driver to get the WHQL stamp from Microsoft. So I would not be at all surprised if 13.1 is just 12.11 beta 11 with WHQL written at the end.

I am more looking forward to the latest betas that will get released in the next few weeks. I don't think these will be 13.2 I reckon 13.1 beta 1,2,3... etc.

If anything is different in 13.1 released today I bet its Far Cry 3 performance improvements for the 7xxx series cards as it was in their "never settle campaign" and still runs like sh%t for a lot of people. Setting water to max for some causes massive slowdowns, setting any kind of AA even if its 2x it destroys your frames and knocks off around 10-20 frames with each increments of AA, the game suffers from a lot of stutter (this could be game related or driver memory management related as mentioned above). I have a beastly system as do a lot of people on here and when you set max settings in a game that does not even look that graphically intensive, @ 1080p, 8xAA, SSAO (which is the most demanding setting), ALL maxed out and you get stutter galore, and dramatic frame rate drops from 80fps down to as low as 22fps THAT'S A PROBLEM!! Either the game is coded horribly or the drivers really are that bad.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I really don't recall such performance issues with FC3, but then again its been awhile since I last played it. I recall my experience performance-wise pretty good though, and I believe I was using highest settings (in-game).

16. mtdew332

mtdew332 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that exactly what AMD have been doing?
    Newer drivers only really contain driver speed improvements for the 7xxx series.
    Since the 5xxx and 6xxx series also share the game specific driver "tweaks" included in the drivers, it does also help the 5xxx and 6xxx performance in those specific games, simply because the drivers are now optimized for those games.
    I don't think they're still writing specific driver performance tweaks for the older GPU hardware anymore, just specific game fixes/tweaks which improves performance in those games on all cards by default.

While the bulk of the real driver performance improvements have already been concentrated on the 7xxx series.
    I think AMD is just struggling a bit more with the GCN architecture than they expected or are even willing to publicly admit, hence the rewriting of memory management software to try and resolve the 7xxx issues.

Speaking of the frame latency issues raised by tech report, I'm one who is choosing to believe AMD looking into and resolving those issues can only help the 7xxx / 8xxx drivers / performance in the long run.
    There simply seems to be no glaring reason why they cannot smooth out the stutters AND still improve performance for the GCN.
    The GPU's certainly seem to have the specs to allow the best of both worlds with proper drivers.

So it may look like a black eye now (and a big one at that) , but like all black eyes, it should only be temporary if the AMD driver team can use the info to help get a better handle on the GCN architecture.

Right now, it just seems AMD's biggest enemy is time. (the 7xxx series is like 13 months old now)
    I'm sure its already taken way longer than AMD planned to learn to write proper drivers and start squeezing performance out of the GCN architecture, and unfortunately it looks like they still have a long way to go.
    Lets just hope the driver team has the talent to get some proper optimized drivers soon.

17. Dynastar

Dynastar Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    13.1 should be WHQL and next 13.2 as beta if nothing changes as described on tweeter.No changelog for the moment,sorry.

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    https://twitter.com/CatalystCreator

19. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    An AMD Rep of a other Forum said that it will be WHQL as soon as they are "happy" with it. So i hope it also contains some more fixes.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    So where is 13.1 ? lol

10:58am here in the uk guess those lazy programers over at ati are still sleeping :D god forbid all our cards exploded :D