AMD Catalyst 11.9 WHQL (8.892 September 8) - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Just tested this with my desktop's 5770 along with 11.8 CAP4.
    To be honest, I didn't expect it to bump up my WEI (pun intended) a bit, but it did; from 7.4 to 7.5 on both Desktop and 3D performances.

2. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  3. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    someone stole your opengl ! test out quakelive, i think its one of the only opengl games still around. still amazing engine, looks great at 120hz

4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    lol I dont think it's stolen I tested Heaven bencnh with OGL and it runs fine.
    it's just weird that AIDA64 shows nothing

5. spyder66

spyder66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5830 1GB
    I have a msi r5830 and atikmdag.sys BSOD on windows (win7 64bit) start after I updated 11.9 WHQL

6. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    In AIDA64 support there is the explanation for your issue:
    http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?/topic/497-opengl-not-listed/

Imho, AMD should be informed about this. I discovered personally that this problem is caused by a different atioglxx.dll implementation related to 11.8/11.9 driver versions.

So, if you don't want to update AIDA64 to the latest beta, another possible fix is to copy atioglxx.dll (from 11.7) in the main folder of AIDA64.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. smokeyjon

smokeyjon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
    I've found on my two HTPCs, using HDMI this driver appears to "lose" audio connectivity if the target device is powered off. One HTPC is going through a Denon receiver, and the other straight to a TV. In both cases after the target device is powered off, it does not recognize that the device has been turned back on unless I open the Sound control panel applet, at which point it immediately reconnects and everything is fine.

Not a deal breaker but definitely annoying. Far less annoying than the overscan reset bug a few revisions back. Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'm a few drinks in at the moment :)

8. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Are the mobility drivers posted here from AMD as they come or have they been modified to support more cards? I have an HP Dv6-6140us laptop with an A8-3500M APU with HD6620G graphics and it won't install the drivers from the AMD site. I have however, received a driver update from Windows Update that installed and works perfectly. Actually it's the 3rd update I have gotten that way and they have all worked. The version number I have now is actually higher than these 11.9 drivers, it's 8.900.7.0 dated Sept. 15 and is shown by the Vision Control Panel as Driver Packaging Version 8.90.7-110915a-125898C-HP. I'm going to stick with that for now.

Another guy I know with the same APU in a Lenovo laptop tried the Mobility driver posted here and it works perfectly. He also can not get drivers directly through the AMD site and Windows Update has nothing for him either.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Had you actually tried clicking the link, you could probably answer that yourself.
    But yeah, it's from AMD's own server.

The reason the Mobility driver 'installer' available over at AMD's official website doesn't 'recognize' your card isn't (necessarily) because the card isn't supported, but your laptop manufacturer isn't one of the company that applied to AMD's driver program a.k.a. 'white list'.
    There was a discussion about this in a thread somewhere not too long ago; I forgot which was it.
    spyre (Guru3D's resident AMD tester) should know more about it.

In any case, my VAIO never had any trouble with them, unless it's something that's inherent in the driver itself.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I did click the link but still wasn't sure since the one time I actually got drivers to download from AMD, the .inf file did not have an entry for the 6620G and hence they would not install. I asked because I saw in the "spoilers" that the card was included in support so I thought either AMD had finally added it or someone here had modded the driver to include it.

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Llano line was pretty much still new, so the drivers they came with would still be the ones provided by AMD for OEMs only.
    AMD probably added it to WHQL drivers after Llano had become widespread.

(...and if you're new to AMD driver releases, 'late' isn't something they're not used to.)

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I'm not new to ATI /AMD drivers. I have used nothing else since 1999 with the Rage Fury cards. Like I said in my original post though, I have received 3 updates to the graphics drivers through Windows Update so far. HP still has the drivers that were pre-installed but it looks like they have been releasing, or allowing AMD to release, updates through WU since the packaging version has HP at the end. There have been none that I know of for laptops made by other companies.
    There were initial problems with drivers for the APU graphics, especially for machines with dual graphics.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's very possible that HP repackaged the drivers themselves and submitted them to Microsoft's WHQL program, and placed their vendor ID string in the .inf files so that it'd apply (via WU) only to AMD graphics on HP laptops.

Regarding 'newer versions', well, let's just say even AMD managed to eff-up their own release with the initial Rage performance driver where the actual driver version (in Device Manager) is older than the one shown in CCC.
    What I'm trying to say is that it's possible HP just tweaked the .inf files a bit so that it shows a newer driver version with '-HP' at the end, or HP really did tweak the drivers apart from what AMD driver team was doing.

Most don't give out updates often, Sony being one of 'em.
    Sony seldom give out official driver updates, and they're not under AMD's driver program.
    That's why my only hope of updating is the actual download link given by people like asder.

HP is one of the few companies that's actually quite active in driver developments for their own stuff, like HPLIP for Linux.

My pet peeve with dual graphics is that if the laptop manufacturer doesn't create their own dual driver packages, users will always get stuck with old drivers because the drivers can't be updated separately.

Some say you could update it manually by updating via Device Manager, without uninstalling the old package; still won't give most users a peace of mind, though.

14. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    Installed, 4 bsods later, I rolled back to 11.8, power_state_driver_failure. Seems like powerplay is buggy.

15. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Doesn't work for me, the game hangs without a reason for some 30-60 seconds with audio still on and then resumes to work correctly for some time, hangs couple of times each round. Happened before 11.9 too, so no fix for me.

During that, the sound plays, the GPU usage is 0%, there is one frame rendered every 10 or so seconds.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

16. [Shadowcat]

[Shadowcat] Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4890
    Same thing happened here. After installing 11.9 i started getting BSOD's. Went back to 11.8 and everything seems normal again.

17. MadTom

MadTom Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1GB
    I think I had 11.4 before and same problems as described.

Did a full uninstall of all ATI related and installed 11.9 - and those hangs are gone.

However, now BC2 sometimes crashes to desktop. And I can't start it again, unless I restart whole PC.

18. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Maybe I should clean the system thoroughly and try 11.9 afresh... Thanks!

ED:

Yup, process as usual: express uninstall all ATI software, reboot, delete video adapter along with it's driver, reboot, use DriverCleaner.net (thanks Sapphire :nerd: ), reboot, windows reports problem with video adapter due to missing registry entry and still recognizes it as 6000 series - delete it again with the driver, reboot, standard vga adapter detected - system is clean, install 11.9 whql, no more problems!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011