AMD Catalyst 11.8 WHQL (8.881 July 28) - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Tendency

Tendency Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobilit Radeon HD6970
    True that, no doubt. But my videocard has been branded, so it doesn't support the OFFICIAL drivers. Instead it only supports (way outdated) drivers from the company where I bought this custom notebook..

So yeah, I'm afraid everything depends on modded drivers for me.

EDIT:
    Give me some links where I can find them! :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 in SLI
    Anyone seeing texture shimmering still with BFBC2 with CF? I have been unable to enjoy this game without texture shimmering since using a pair of 6950's in CF.....

Bloody annoying...

Anyone have tips to fix this issue?

3. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm testing the 11.8 official with HD 6970 CrossFire, and so far all great.
    What scares me most is BBC2, but I've tried about 15 minutes and works well, tonight I'll have to try playing without interruption for about 4 hours to heard check if the game crashes.

I will keep you informed!

4. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    This is interesting, I have seen texture shimmering on all recent cats, especially in the large open spaces of Heavy Metal map.

What settings do you have your Cats at, default??? Have you installed the CAP's? Please check heavy metal for me and report back.
    Thanks,

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    people think the 'known issues' list suddenly appeared in 11.8? some of that stuff is a year old & acknowledged by the game devs

no need to worry about 11.8, go try them out

shimmering or flickering? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kzhqckO1ug these craters i'm pretty sure appear for everyone, including nv & possibly some single cards

original bc2 maps are no problem right?

6. kaiokold

kaiokold Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6770M 1GB
    someone ?

7. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    Yep that's what I am seeing.... Any ideas on how to prevent it?

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I don't have that issue. Un-Installed in the manner that you should? I have...

9. Marcin89

Marcin89 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680
    Doom 3 with Sikkmod still dont working x|

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    get dice to fix their game, but no EA is the one that decides how many patches come out, & there wont be any more :eek:rder:

for doom 3 silk mod, dont expect that will ever fix (it's a mod afterall), just use a known working ogl dll or disable AI, whatever that mod needed to get itself working (keep seeing posts about it randomly on multiple forums, so easy to workaround it by yourself)

11. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    I hope that BF3 does not suffer with the same issue. Frostbite 2 > Frostbite 3!!!

I have fingers crossed...

12. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    BF3 multiplayer offers a lot more and requires around the same CPU usage BC2 did, sooooo .... so far so good i would say

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You get that bbc2 texture flickering on Nvidia cards to.

14. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    Well, those flashing or flickering is produced by the PunkBuster.
    All users of the 6000 series AMD, have the same problem and I do not think any driver will be fixed by catalyst.

That can be arranged through any BBC2 patch or a new update PunkBuster.

15. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    Doesn't matter. The only companies I know of that use HD6970M would be Dell and Clevo. AMD drivers are supposed to support both.

Also neither companies actually make them. Both companies use official fabs from AMD. The only laptop company I know of that fabs their own boards for mobile MXM is Asus. And even then, AMD drivers support them because the vBIOS that all these companies are from AMD.

So there isn't any excuse from AMD for your card.

16. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    Not surprising. They have to make it all work on consoles too. So whatever new they do, they have to get it to work on consoles as well, not surprisingly most of the new technology DICE is boasting are console technology, already being used by the PS3. Radiosity already being used by the PS3. The tile based deferred shading sounds very similar to tile based deferred rendering used by PowerVR for consoles a decade ago etc. So what if it's using DirectCompute, it will be ported to be used by the PS3 just as efficiently. So yeah, not surprising BF3 works just fine as it's still being tailored consoles. PC first my ass. What a pile of crap lies.

But whatever, if it works, and it makes gamers happy, great for DICE. Already pumped for a game where snipers can use 3d targeting and not even see who they killed... retarded.

17. Tendency

Tendency Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobilit Radeon HD6970
    Well m8 I'm just a newbie in all of this. But the company I bought this notebook at told me they put a different BIOS (or ROM) on my card, and because of that none of the drivers I use via the official AMD website can find any suitable/supported hardware.

What can I do?

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    mod the inf to add your mobile card

19. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    Unlikely. I highly doubt, as it sounds to me you have a Clevo notebook, that Clevo knows how to program AMD vBIOS. That's BS they are feeding you. Still complain to AMD and let them know your Clevo HD6970M is not being supported on the drivers.

Modifying a vBIOS is within their abilities as it is within yours. But modifying a vBIOS will have no impact on whether drivers will support it or not, I wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage or even half of the Guru3D frequent posters here are using modded vBIOS.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^We don't use modded BIOS as a rule....except maybe for editing/saving clockspeeds when overclocking, but that's not really modding.

Flashing the BIOS could very well affect driver installation if the dev_id has been changed.
    Like knootcn said the best way to get around that situation would be to add the new dev_ID to the driver .inf file.....or else you cud use a bios editor to change the dev_id in the bios itself.

EDIT: - @Tendency - can't you reflash the bios to the earlier version?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011