AMD Catalyst 11.8 Preview Driver OpenGL 4.2 (8.88.8 August 8)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, that kinda suck if the problem's something inherent to 6xxx series. =/

Mine's brightness works with every Catalyst driver I've ever put on it, way back from last year's September...so I guess it has worked with every Catalyst version since around 10.9.

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    I guess the APU in my netbook's different then as brightness is fine and I didn't need a mobility mod to install.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Maybe APUs have different drivers from their Mobility counterparts, and more akin to their desktop relatives since APUs' application isn't limited to netbooks; they don't have the 'Mobility' moniker, and instead have a 'D' suffix.

4. oktay50000

oktay50000 Member

GPU:
    7870 Crossfire
    performance sucks for me

5. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    These are still ****e in Second Life.. flickering textures and locked to 30fps instead of 60fps (yes i enable triple buffering) with vsync enabled. Modded these ones with the 11.4 OGL files and runs SL peachy again. AMD needs to sort out the messy OpenGL in EVERY driver release instead of once every 6 months.

asder00.. whats the difference between these and the other 11.8's? is it just the OGL 4.2 or is there any other changes?

Cheers :) and cheers for the drivers too ;)

Oh and heres a reminder of the texture flickering on trees in SL if anybody is curious..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmH2lYCS64

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    then play with shadows, it looks much better imo or does it take a big hit?

7. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    lol yea theres a hit alright,at that place in the video it'll go from up to 50fps without shadows to up to just 20fps with shadows.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ..yea, that's a big hit alright -_-

i hope they fix it because it doesn't look like a serious bug, probably some small glitch.

9. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    hello!
    so every one that have tested this driver
    It is better then AMD Catalyst 11.8 Preview Driver (8.88.3 July 11)

Bambooooooooooooooooooooooola!

10. Mexezz

Mexezz New Member

Every time i install new drivers "AMD Overdrive" is activated by default , is this normal?

11. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    No have you Unistalled you previous drivers correct?
    I think you have some file there that make it spooky for you! :)

12. Axiomkid

Axiomkid Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4250
    I've had some texture flickering problems as well. The only way to fix this problem was to futz with the AI control settings, Disabling it works best for most games, other games work better with it turned on. COD4 worked fine with AI disabled on the last driver, but this new driver it doesn't like when AI is enabled now. it keeps changing in each driver.

13. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Well i fixed it now by putting the 11.4 OGL files into this driver package before i hit the install button :) and tbh Second Life dont use any OpenGL version above 2.1 so it wudnt make a difference anyway.. yes SL is an old piece of sh!t that needs a dramatic update tho they are updating to Havok 2010 Physics Engine this month but whether that is gona improve anything is beyond me.. i just need it to run good for the videos i make in SL :)

14. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Same story, I am extremely bored with the exaggeration of every new drivers.

User1: OH FRACK, BETTER IQ, BETTER PERFORMANCE, BETTER this and that.

Please keep it a bit matured and technical to the point. The new drivers release thread is filled with useless information every time..better IQ "YEAh, I can see the edges its better". Its like pretty useless to check any valid posts in the thread.

(The Radeon Pro and Catalyst threads are so much more better, most of the points are absolutely related to hard facts)

-----

Please don't reply to this post, Its just a request..to keep driver release threads a bit clean and to the point.

Thank You.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Same happens with me, its only happened with those 11.7 developer drivers, the previous 11.8 previews, and im not trying these as i guess they'll be the same.

The Overdrive changes for some reason (key icon to unlock is not there, so already unlocked, have to tick the box to re-lock it), and it says my core clock is only 725, which i know i could fix just by moving the slider to 880, but it also sets my idle clocks at 400/1000, instead of the normal 250/150, so i can't use them.

I don't know why it happens, as its only these 3x driver sets that it has happened with, all WHQLs, previous hotfixes and previews have all been fine, clocks are reported correctly, idles correct, and the key icon to unlock is there, so its correctly default locked, and i always do the correct uninstall/install, Programs and Features, ATi Install Manager, uninstall all ATi, then after the reboot, i install the new :p

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dunno, maybe you guys didn't clean it properly before installing new drivers?
    This is what I have when I open up the Overdrive tab on CCC...

[​IMG]

...along with the clocks showing up correctly after clicking 'Accept'...

[​IMG]

...and I actually have OC-ed my card using MSI Afterburner before opening CCC.
    This is on my desktop's 5770.

17. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Did you ever stop to think that it may just be SL that's the problem and not the drivers

duff game coding can be just as bad as duff drivers

18. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Yea i have thought it might be SL but the fact that the 11.4 OGL works perfectly and then any Cat driver OGL after 11.4 has problems i just have to think its the drivers.. i know other AMD card users with the same problem and on a 5850 aswell as 4670's.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thats what i get, its different to the WHQL's and the other hotfix, preview drivers, as they don't have a license agreement to accept before you can get into it, and also with these, you can see theres no key icon to unlock it, so its already unlocked by default, and also for me, it reports the wrong core clock, only 725 instead of 880, and my idle clocks are 400/1000, instead of 250/150.

I can't see it having anything to do with the way i uninstall and install the drivers, as when i go straight back to the WHQL's, or other previews and hotfixes that don't have this change to the overdrive, by doing the exact same uninstall/install method, my core clock gets reported correctly, my idle clocks are back correctly, and the key icon is back, with it locked by default correctly, so it has to be the change to the overdrive in these 3x sets of drivers thats doing it. :)

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, I think that's the whole idea of the agreement : it replaces the unlock key icon.
    IIRC the key icon also shows about the same warning for you to agree on when you try to unlock it.

Maybe it's something inherent to 6xxx series (like the problematic brightness control on 6xxx Mobility cards), or maybe your 6970 is a flashed 6950?
    In any case, on my 5770 it reports the correct clocks, so maybe for everyone else it's a case of YMMV.