AMD Catalyst 11.4 Asus Edition - 6900 series Vista/Win7 32 & 64 bit

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by knivestv, Mar 18, 2011.

1. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Mod - could you please have a look and see if this is relevant or not?

**Please note, it has been pointed out that the driver build on this is the same number as the 10.11 beta driver.

{Original thread name}

AMD Catalyst 11.4 Asus Edition - 6900 series Vista/Win7 32 & 64 bit

{Original thread post}

Hi all.

First of all a bit of background info. before I tell you the main reason why I'm uploading this driver.

Today, I got my shiny new Asus 6950 OC to replace my old (but still very good) XFX HD 4870. It has served me well, and I will miss it.

So anyway, when I received the 6950, I immediately flashed it with a 6970 bios (it's a reference card with the multi bios switch) to unlock the extra shaders. Worked perfectly first time, no problem.

Next step, install drivers. First thing I did was come to Guru3d and check the forums for drivers. Saw that there was a lot of interest in the 11.4 early preview driver so thought "that's the one!".

Anyway, I installed that driver (I'm on Windows 7 64 bit) and straight away noticed the mouse lag in the top right hand corner issue.

Balls.

Ok uninstall that driver, try the official 11.2 driver. Same problem.

Double balls!

Also, I started up Test Drive Unlimited 2, maxed out the settings and the game was very jittery. Eventually it locked up and died.

Triple balls :bang:

Ok so for the first time ever, I thought "I wonder if the driver on the CD is any good?". Usually I would just throw the disc in the bin, but this is a new card, launched recently, and there's only a couple of drivers out for it. So I thought "let's have a go".

To my surprise, the driver on the CD says catalyst version 11.4 when installed

[​IMG]

But here's the best part. TDU2 works perfectly. No lag, no hang up. And the mouse lag is gone from the top right hand corner!

Win :)

I'm surprised and also happy, so I thought I would share it with you all. Word of warning if you install this, please uninstall your old driver first. This driver installs an Asus version of CCC, so it might mess things up if you just install on top of an older catalyst driver. I know some people do that sort of thing, so please don't.

I had a look in the inf files, and I could only see entries for 6950 and 6970 cards. If somebody would like to mod the infs, go ahead. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears the current infs only support those two series of cards.

And Here's the link. File size is 146MB. I used a bit.ly address so I can monitor how many hits it gets.

Good luck if you decide try it out :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
  3. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Driver Packaging Version 8.84.3-110226a-114256E-ATI

That is 11.4 driver - you just have left over 11.4 CCC2

4. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Well that's odd, 'cos the last driver I installed was 11.2

Well, at least the mouse lag has gone and the driver is working well.

Do you think maybe I should just delete this? Can I even do that?

5. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Meh if it works well for you just leave it - its not doing any harm

6. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I was meaning delete this thread :)

Because if people are going to start installing it and then saying "my CCC shows a different number than 11.4" then maybe it's better to get rid of it now...

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    I don't mean only because of the Catalyst number but the drivers themselves.

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Rename the title to something else less intriguing

9. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Thanks I understand.

Ok I stuck up a message for the mods. Apparently the title won't change on the forum itself, you only see the change when you click the link.

I'm doing a reinstall of O/S tonight because I got a new piece of hardware. I like doing things from scratch, so I'll try again with the CD version of the driver first this time and see what happens.

Thanks for pointing out the things I missed.

If it's still here tomorrow, I'll make changes after I find out what happens when I have reloaded my system.

Thanks again.

10. Bengie25

Bengie25 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Do not use the 6970 flash, some people have had card failures after a few months. We assume it's the higher memory voltages, not the core voltages.

Use the 6950 mod to unlock your shaders. It doesn't affect your stock voltages. You can overvoltage the GPU, but try to leave the memory alone. The memory has pretty good OC ability, even without the higher voltages.

11. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Hi thanks for your comment.

I've done some research on this before I made the purchase, and found that the OC edition of the ASUS card can handle voltages the same as the 6970. It even says on the box that it's designed for voltage tweaking and comes with a utility on the CD that has a preset at 1.175 volts (that's the 6970 voltage, right?)

I have read about people saying that other 6950s ran into problems with the extra voltage, but the ASUS OC edition seems to be fine which is why I bought this one.

Fingers crossed they aren't wrong!

*EDIT - Ok I flashed it with a 6950 unlock bios for now, 'cos you managed to get me worried about my new toy... but I'm keeping the 6970 bios handy so I can change it back in a few months when I'm sure it's all OK.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011