AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hotfix (8.82.2) Win7 x86/x64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    it is a good feature, most games just give the option of Tessellation on/off. The slider means if youve a game that lags heavily when tessellation is on you can just reduce it slightly so that the game is smooth everywhere. You still get tessellation, just not as much and fixes issues with min FPS.
    As for how it works, well thats a different story, works fine in Unigine, its rubbish in Hawx2, stutters in cycles even if its showing a constant 60FPS

2. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Guys using CrossfireX: does BF:BC2 have a slow loading on MP with this hotfix driver?

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They aren't though, we have the choice, we can either use what AMD are telling us to use (by using the AMD optimized option), we can choose what we want to use (by the Tessellation level slider), or, we can just leave well alone, so the game/benchmark runs how its supposed to run (by selecting the Use Application Settings), so yes, i do like it, if there was no choice, then it would be a no, don't like it :)

I can't see what all the fuss is about tbh, as if people are claiming its cheating etc..., then everyone is cheating, as all games have graphical settings options in them don't they, and this is just exactly the same imo, as if your turning the Tessellation down in the drivers, its just like your turning the Shader detail (or whetever) down in the games options, so were all cheating ***** at the end of the day ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    like Nvidia then? lol

5. SuperBill

SuperBill Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    I'm sorry but no developer in their right mind would intentionally implement tessellation in such a way that it would negatively impact their own product sales unless their product (game) is of exceptionally poor quality and doing so would result in greater profit from such interested parties than would otherwise be made from the finished product, at which point the issue is moot. At best they might pay the developers of a popular benchmark application. That being said we already know that Futuremark doesn't tolerate such cheating. Nvidia would have to conspire with one of the various small developers of such an application, at which point the issue is again moot (imo).

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, just noticed that most games just have an on or off switch, so could be handy for that.
    I just didn't think there were any games that had such heavy tessellation that you would need it, Unigine is a benchmark, so using it on that would be cheating, and it also has various different levels you could use anyway.

Hawx2 doesn't need it as far as i can see, and in spite of what people are claiming, there is minimal tessellation in that game anyway, my AVG FPS goes from 98fps with it disabled, to 91fps with it enabled, the performance hit in AVP is far higher.

Anyway, just got a message and all good with my mates 6850, saying these are the best drivers he's tried so far for that card, he only plays COD:BO and NFS:HP though.

7. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

+1 :)

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    nah seriously, Hawx2 does need it, im running it at 5040x1050 with everything at max except 2xAA and Tessellation off and i get 60+FPS( i turned on Vsynch ), if i run it with Tessellation on its around 20-25FPS( at least in places ) lol. If i run Hawx2 with 1 screen theres no problem, but i dont want to :). I can still have tessellation with the slider, just not as much, again though doesnt work for properly as it stutters,but hopefully will work in the future.

Most games dont have 'official' eyefinity or nvidia surround support( even though they will work ) and thats where that slider can come in handy because the games would be tested on 1 screen and perform grand but tripple the res and things like Tessellation have serious impact on performance.

ATI also said somewhere a few months back that devs were abusing Tessellation and applying too high levels( their documentation for Tessellation states how it should be used and the limitations and how to get best performance with it), i guess the slider is a response to that and just let customers decide if they want to change it.

9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, don't image you would, not a fan of Hawx or multi screen set-ups, but i imagine that game would be perfectly suited, and alot more immersive with 3 screens.

Strange that the performance hit for me using tess in AVP is twice as high as the one in Hawx2, but the other way round for you guys.

No idea where AMD is getting that from, the dev's aren't using enough tessellation, i can barely see it in 90% of games.

While im here, does anyone know if the Black Ops and NFS HP issue where it runs alot better in XP than in W7 also affects AMD hardware, or is just an Nvidia issue?

10. cold2010

cold2010 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4870

11. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    In HAWX 2 the performance hit with terrain tessellation feature on is about 40%, whereas with Lost Planet 2 benchmark the performance hit with tessellation high is about 62%. At least here with one HD 6950@6970.

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce

Thank you, but is there any download mirrors?
    Someone make new thread!

13. Faruk

Faruk Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI Classified
  14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Damn, only about 10% here with HAWX2, as i said AVP causes more of a hit.

Don't suppose you would know if there are issues with Black Ops in W7 compared to XP, i confirmed it myself with Nvidia, but got an impatient person on nagging me on MSN who is willing to dig out the disc if it also affects the 6800 hardware/drivers.

15. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Nope, I don't have XP to compare, but in fact a few games run better on XP than Vista or W7.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    All these tessellation options in the drivers, just make the reviews null and void, as some could easily turn the tess level down in the drivers to inflate AMDs scores, making only the reviewers the cheaters at the end of the day, since when did reviewers cheat though ;)

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Yes this has been documented in many benchmarks from 6900 reviews. It is the opposite in AvP 2010 for Nvidia users though, even those most of the tesselation is on the character models.

@ cold2010 - thx! Downloading! :D

Well, then such reviewers would be skewered by their readership and fellow "reviewers". You know how the internet is at catching BS since it is built up on a lot of BS too... Do what you know... :D

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, Black Ops is particulary bad.
    Thanks anyway though.

19. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
  20. wildvil

wildvil Active Member

GPU:
    5830 x 2 + 9800 GT
    After testing this driver for a few days everything seems to be working good :). You might need to tweak it with RadeonPro (but that will be the case for everydriver). Even had no problems with the Wii and PS2 emulators on my pc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    davetheshrew "quote"

lol how you get 10.12 and 11.1a AND von caps on the go at once?'The more you put in your computer the more you increase in problems' yes? your comment about consoles made me laugh a bit, so did your 5830, damn probably the only 5830 on guru, I hand it to you man. your choices are disasterous

The first part was answered by someone else, the 10.12 was the OpenCl and not the driver.

Still on the console problem (I know you mad fun of "Rich_Guy" then me and probably some one else too) You are misunderstanding what people are saying. Your looking at glitchs in a console game as a driver problem, it is not. low FPS, visual problems are game design mistakes, the point that people are making about consoles is that all consoles plays the game the same. If designed well it runs smooth but if it has a problem then everyone has the same problem.

You like to make fun of people's computers... that is really cool... can I grow up to be just like you :puke2:... So far I like my set up, With RaderonPro and mild overclocking I can play all of my games on max setting... Can you?

HaZe303 "Quote"

What score do you get in Physx Fluidmark 1.1.1 bench with that 9800gt? Thx.

I have not tested it yet with this set up. I have tested it with a few PhysicX games. I can play all of these games with a max settings on PhysicX plus max visuals (shadows, Textures, ETC...) at 1920X1080 res. and with Super-sample on. With IQ (AA and AF) I increase it until it's maxed or I stop it when my min FPS hit 35.

Batman Arkham AA16/AF16
    Metro 2033 AA2/AF16
    Mafia 2 AA32/16