AMD Catalyst 11.11b "Performance Driver" (8.911.1 November 25)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Nov 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. saereth

saereth New Member

GPU:
    radeon 5970
    Hey guys I've been following this thread and just registered as I found something that works.

Official AMD drivers, works beautiful with my radeon 5970.. no artifacts.. no microstutter.. smooth 60 fps

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111cperformance.aspx

AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance drivers
    Back
    Last Updated
    12/1/2011
    Article Number
    GPU-40

AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance driver features

· Elder Scrolls Skyrim

New in Catalyst 11.11c: Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling for the AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling for AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
    Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations
    Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series
    ·

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. gf1

gf1 New Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD 6990 4Gb
    Given it said this about 11.11b:
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim

New in Catalyst 11.11b: Delivers AMD CrossFire performance scaling for AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
    AMD Radeon HD 5000 CrossFire support will be supported soon in an updated driver
    Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations
    Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series

it sounds like 11.11c would only benefit the 5000 series. This also sounds right given what Andrew D (Catalyst Creater) says here:
    http://twitter.com/#!/@catalystcreator

Is anyone seeing any improvement with 11.11c over 11.11b in Skyrim on the 6000 series?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I used to enjoy Catalyst drivers, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

4. mtdew332

mtdew332 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    No need for all that.
    Just grab the Skyrim 4gb LAA.
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Then right click the skyrim4gb.exe file and make a shortcut to the desktop.
    Now right click the shortcut and select properties and add
    -laaexe .\TESV.exe to the target box......
    Example:
    "xxx:\4GB Skyrim LAA\skyrim4gb.exe" -laaexe .\TESV.exe

Now the AMD drivers will see the skyrim4gb.exe as TESV.exe and x-fire will work fine.

And dont forget to remove that god awful atiumdag.dll file in your skyrim folder if you're using it! (this is what causes flickering for most people)

5. gf1

gf1 New Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD 6990 4Gb
    Thank you very much for this! I have been using the 4GB version for a few days now. So I first deleted the atiumdag.dll as you fortunately suggested! After doing that, the RadeonPro settings I had just put in,
    setting CrossFireX Tweaks = AFR-Friendly D3D, and also MVPU set to AFR for Steam's Skyrim profile; and of course I associated this with the Skyrim4gb.exe. And all the face flickering went away, but not the flickering when I hit ESC.

I then removed the RadeonPro profile and tried what you say above re: the laaexe and I am getting an error message that says:

"files for original and laa exe must be different"

I read the readme and I still don't understand what that means and how to correct it.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. mtdew332

mtdew332 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    When you download and extract the 4gb Skyrim file listed above, it creates a folder named 4GB Skyrim LAA, you need to keep all of its files in that folder and make a shortcut to the desktop from the skyrim4gb.exe in that folder.
    (you can put that folder anywhere you want, just keep all the files in that folder as a whole)

The reason is that when you edit and run the shortcut to the skyrim4gb.exe file as shown above it will create its own custom TESV.exe file in that 4GB Skyrim LAA folder.

Now i'm just guessing, but from the error you posted , it sounds like you have the skyrim4gb.exe in your skyrim game directory, and that wont work since it cannot create its custom TESV.exe file there since the "real" "original" TESV.exe for your game is there and it will not/cannot overwrite the original games exe file.

And its best to try all of this without radeon pro.

Just a shortcut to desktop , edit it as described above and dbl the shortcut to run the game.

You'll know if you did it right if you bring up the task manager while the game is running and its listed as tesv.exe and not TESV.exe.4gb, if its listed as TESV.exe.4gb in your task manager then you did something wrong.

It HAS to be listed as TESV.exe in your task manager while running the game for the AMD drivers know to enable the crossfire performance tweaks.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    After all I have seen about the 4gb patch to Skyrim, I decided to give it a try. It made absolutely no difference to anything in the game so I dumped it.

8. spyre

spyre Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    Then you didn't play the game for long enough as the game crashes much more quickly and has other errors if you do not have the 4GB patch.

9. gf1

gf1 New Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD 6990 4Gb
    You are right. Thank you! I appreciate this very detailed explanation as I now have the game working, and given I am a noob at all of this, it is just as well to not run RadeonPro, since your solution works great, and I do not know how RadeonPro interfaces with CCC, which I already have installed.

So with your solution the game now runs around 80+ FPS outside, and even after generating about 50 Sabertooth creatures, it still runs at 50-60 FPS - and Fraps has become stable; plus no in-game flickering! Yay!

So all of this makes the game totally playable so far, though when I hit ESC it still has constant left to right scrolling vertical bars and flickering on the whole screen. I can navigate still, and it is only when I hit ESC to save do I get this problem, at least so far as I have checked. The console, map, etc., all seem fine.

My main questions now are if there is any way to get rid of the scrolling bars, especially if they could damage the monitors or video card. I doubt it in terms of damage, but like I said, I am a noob at this level of gaming tweaks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  10. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The game never crashes or has any errors for me.

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

hahaha

12. blacblu

blacblu Guest

Just to be clear, CrossfireX should be working with 11.11b + CAP2, right?

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    They say the built in CAPs in that driver are fine (meaning CAP2 is obsolete) but what do I know?

14. blacblu

blacblu Guest

So, just using 11.11b Crossfire should work with TESIV,AC2,BF3? Right?

15. gf1

gf1 New Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD 6990 4Gb
    I was told to NOT install CAP2.

Update on my "quest":

Given what mtdew332 posted above and also turning VSYNC ON in-game, all my display problems are history now - plus I am still at 75 fps outdoors and even when generating 50 very animated creatures (for some screenshots, etc.), my FPS is still around 50-55. So turning VSYNC on in the ini file was okay for at least me - it was a not a bad performance hit at all.

So thanks a lot for all the help!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011