1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Catalystâ„¢ 15.11 Beta Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Anvi, Nov 5, 2015.

1. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    Huh. I'm really curious about LeekM's fix. What exactly does it do? I have to wonder why AMD seems to have left free performance on the table.

I recall earlier Catalysts from the 12.x and 13.x series had major issues like lower texture quality in HD 7xxx cards than previous generations, and until around 13.4, graphic corruptions in the form of black artefacts randomly flashing across the screen during intense gaming. Could the fix have anything to do with those?

Does it increase buffers or default flip queue size?

Does it perhaps negatively interfere with performance in other areas like CPU performance or audio (low latency/exclusive mode) performance?

Does it increase power consumption? Not that I care, but AMD might feel a slight improvement in performance isn't justified by a large power draw increase, since their hardware is often bashed for inefficiency.

Can it reduce performance in some programs/games or scenarios?

I'm only listing possible negatives because it doesn't seem likely to me that AMD would arbitrarily omit something supposedly so great, especially when they're known for, and have been trying to mend, bad driver performance.

Edit: More importantly, is this fix even relevant for discrete desktop cards?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    NP dude. Let us know if you make any advancements with your wakeup issue. There are some things that can be tried if it doesn't work out.

Unfortunately it is only relevant for switchable PXAI devices (AMD + Intel) from my understanding.

KMD_APlusISharedMiniSegmentSize

I do not generally try to get into the whole performance debacle. On the mobility front things are usually a bit more complex than on the desktop front but there certainly have been moves made by AMD like the one mentioned above which are at best questionable.

On the mobility front we are usually more concerned about the drivers working at all ; ) Still a lot of users left where AMD managed to just break compatibility with some of their recent cards.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  3. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    ok, thanks

4. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    BSOD and sometimes just freezing with black screen in cod black ops 3 with this beta on 280x and win7 64bit. Anyone have this problem?

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    None. Have you overclocked at all?

6. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    Yes but everything works well on any previous drivers.

7. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    It could be that this driver just handles the GPU differently, perhaps puts more stress on it and your OC isn't stable. Try running stock, then try lowering 20 MHz than your current OC on the core, without any memory OC applied, then try your current memory OC, etc.

8. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    tried stock and same, but this time i can play more time till the bsod happens. When go back to 15.7.1 there is no this problem.

9. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    What's the BSOD code, btw?

10. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega64
    black ops 3 put a lot of stress on CPU so try putting CPU on stock and see what happens.

11. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    But CPU is around 50% usage and gpu is rarely over 90%. I'll try to take photo of BSOD.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  13. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    BSOD is with code 0x0000001E. Googled for solution and tried SlimDrivers and update all drivers but problem still persist. I think it's something with RAM or VRAM because it happens when all 12GB RAM and 3GB VRAM are full.

14. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    Let me a see a crash dump.

15. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x

16. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    heh heh, not quite, but good job for effort.

I need the actual crash dump from C:\Windows\Minidump

I analyze it at face value which very likely does not help much, by percentages. Where the real help comes in is when I am able to look at all active drivers and make steps to follow to fix things up.

If you need help accessing the folder, Take Ownership of it, then files inside, then move files to new location before zipping or rarring.

17. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    @Dmr2: Things that stand out to me that should be updated to newest or otherwise complete removed from the system:

1) sptd sptd.sys Thu Oct 31 11:26:53 2013 (527276BD)
    dtsoftbus01 dtsoftbus01.sys Wed Feb 19 09:43:17 2014 (5304C305)

This is commonly installed with DaemonTools or Alcohol. Uninstall the software, but then you are going to have to possibly remove the driver manually.

It is easy, but you need to know. Let me know if you need help in this regard.

Install PowerISO to replace it.

2) AsIO AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 05:54:47 2012 (5034AC67)

If issues still persist, for testing purposes, uninstall any and all Asus software. For now.

3) If issues persist, complete remove ESET software, then test. Likely a bingo here.

4) Make sure Creative software is updated to latest.

If you need more help, post a new crash dump after these things have all been done and we take it from there.

5) MotionJoy is also notorious for causing BSODs:

xusb21 xusb21.sys Wed Apr 08 10:28:44 2009 (49DCB49C)

No big deal. I have a handful of things yet mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  19. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    I'm not gonna do anything because this happens only with cod black ops 3 and latest beta catalyst. So I will wait new patch or new drivers. Thank you anyway!!!

20. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    You're welcome. I still advise to make those changes regardless. Best of luck.