AMD cards getting died too soon!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Abdullah Bin Najam, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Abdullah Bin Najam

Abdullah Bin Najam Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 560
    I bought AMD Radeon twice... first R9 280, then RX 560... both cards got died in a span of almost 3yrs.. infract the current card stopped working just after the expiry of 3yrs warranty period.. I think there is some problem either with the GPU or the board, the first one was Gigabyte and the second was ASUS.. has anyone experienced the same problems? Please reply!

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My R9 390 (Sapphire) and 5700XT (Sapphire) still work just fine

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    bad electricity causes atypical wear and tear on electricals.

Maddness, Direfield, Airbud and 2 others like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    two r9 290 trix cards dead somewhere in 2014 iirc
    dead->rma'd for new -> new card dead within a month -> rma'd for new, but I sold it and got a gtx980 windforce.it worked fine but sapphire cards were better accoustically by a mile.

there's no rule to this.all depends on components used.

good psu + avr/ups should be the base for every home pc.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I've heard nvidia cards never die.

Maddness, Airbud and JAMVA like this.
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Three years a quite a long time for a graphics card. Considering that it's probably being used for gaming 12 hours a day. ;)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My HD7950 still works (if I reinstall a cooler on it), as does my RX470.....and my RX5700....and an R5 240......

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I have right by my side a HD 5870 that's been in use since 2012 and it still works like the first day.
    So, no, just unlucky of your part.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    2x unlocked Sapphire 6950 to 6970 in crossfire mode still running perfectly fine!

10. Doesn't exactly mean anything by itself, but I've owned at least 10 different AMD and ATI GPUs, and none of them died or stopped working.

I've had 3 NVIDIA GPUs (1 being in a laptop), and one of them had a capacitor randomly blow while the computer was idle (I think a 8400). The other one (GTX 1060) failed in a laptop due to heat or power.

11. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    its all the same amd vs nvidia, they die.

My cards will die I put always to much voltage on them, from all the cards I had 2x nvidia ones died and only 1 amd card died, in my case its luck due to to amount of voltage I always put to the cards and moded bios.

a good psu afects the card, good components on the cards efects the card, etc.

sometimes its rng.

Never get a card with crap cooling, if you have and amd card use chill and you can see the temps really go down

also dont keep a card on a case that will toast the card with poor cooling

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  13. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    you should always check temps on your cards.And don't forget progress never sleeps and vendors save on details. Unfortunately it getting normal to install cheap components. The same on everything from cars to electronics.My Harmon Kardon receiver has theorical warranty that it should work within 5 years and then can happen everything. I was in shock. and my pov Gigabyte is company i escape(((

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I've been into PC gaming hardware for the better part of 24 years now and I have only ever had 1 GPU die on me, well it didn't die. It was faulty and required an RMA and that was a 4870x2 where when using both GPU's on the card the second GPU would cause artifacts, using 1 GPU was perfectly fine.

Other than that not had a single card die early and I've had a lot of cards over the years and a lot of them have been heavily used, sometimes even abused :p and never had a card die.

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I've often seen (I'll use some puns) Gigashyte, Asucks and MSigh be the costcutting vendors on both NV and AMD GPUs, the dedicated AIBS seem to be most reliable.

(I'll never buy a GPU from Gigabyte/Asus/MSI).

All GPUs I've bought are still working too (Well, almost all, can't say about X800 XL and X1950 Pro, those had been sold off), Sapphire AGP HD3850 (13 years old), Nvidia 9600GT (12 years old), Powercolor HD6850 (10 Years old), Sapphire R9 285 (6.5 years old), Sapphire R9 Fury (5.5 years old)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Same happened to my GeForce 9800 GX2, and being an idiot threw the card out without checking the warranty (Lifetime). Pisses me every time I visit my Evga account and see the card's status listed as still "In Warranty". :(

Apologies for the off topic ...

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Considering the OP seemingly joined the forums just to start this "thread" I wouldn't be too sad about not being on "topic" ;)

I had a MSI 9800 GX2, bought used and sure enough didn't last long... fun while it did though.

Did EVGA used to offer lifetime warranties? That's something!
    Sorry not meaning to rub it in... :)

pharma likes this.
  18. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    is there something wrong in this situation there, I have here 3 AMD video cards, I have a RX480 from Sapphire 4GB, RX 580 from MSi 8GB and an RX Vega56 XFX 8GB, they are between 03 05 years ago I use it with me, I use it in games, I play every day after work, here everything is in order, there must be something crazy going on around the electrical part.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have had thousands of video cards in my life as a hwbot 3d benchmarks hoobie/fanatic throughout the many years the only cards that have died on me are 2 Asus Matrix Platinum HD7970 / 1 GTX 690 / 1 GTX Titan / 2 HD5770 , all of them died because were pushed to the max with high voltages on subsero temperatures trying to catch best scores :D .

I have just recently found a bargain very low price nvidia gtx 9800 GX2 with a full cover water block , hard to find this cards today and harder to find fc water blocks. Guess what i did lol , yep i did all the volt mods wish was 20 tiny soldering points for variable resistors + voltage reading points for mem and v.core , all this x2 since is a sandwich dual pcb card. Lots of fun was had a couple of weeks ago with this fully moded card for cheap. it did 891/1203Mhz on 3dmark vantage fc h2o block on ambients of 22c.

This is what i call fun :D

https://hwbot.org/submission/4784788_

20210717_025926 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    GoldenTiger, Maddness, Goiur and 4 others like this.
  20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just wanna include this to show that sometimes, a GPU death isn't what it appears to be.....

I had something of a shock a couple of days back, I was transferring some large and very critical [​IMG] file on my 2nd rig (with the VEGA64 Red Devil aka my precious, and if you're wondering, my RX 6900 XT is the One), I'd thought I'd safely ejected one of my external HDD (though, thinking back, I'd noticed that there wasn't a sound/tone that usually accompanies a safely removed/ejected HDD/device).

Anyway, I unplugged the HDD which was attached to one of four USB3.0 ports up front and to my utter surprise, my monitor went off due to 'No Signal' being detected. Also, KB and mouse went off as well. So, okay, I simply have to restart and everything should be back to normal. Did that and zip, nada, my KB and mouse stayed off (no RGB) and my monitor stayed off as well.....had a sinking feeling I'd somehow killed my precious. Tried restarting a couple more times, and my last attempt, my KB+mouse lit up, but the monitor stayed offed...that sinking feeling got worse.

Took out my precious, and replaced it with my very ancient but still reliable PowerColor HD7970 and Lo, and behold! My rig started without issue, which only served to reinforced my belief that I'd kill my precious.[​IMG] Anyway, this morning, somehow guided by the Force, I decided to pop in my precious back into my 2nd rig (had it in its box for a couple of days while I was using the HD7970) and at first, the monitor came on, then went off, repeatedly. I was using the HDMI port on the monitor because my HD7970 does not have DP.

I attached my DP cable to the card and monitor and restarted and everything worked! Booted as normal to desktop and my precious performed as if nothing had happened! I guess I'm overjoyed, hence this rather long post. And to show that sometimes, hardware can behave rather strangely, and the solution can be found with the Force.[​IMG]

GoldenTiger likes this.