AMD brings Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) visuals to select Radeon RX 500

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I like RIS, but it would be better if AMD added strength control into Radeon Setting's overlay.

Turanis likes this.
  3. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Excellent news. RX 590 keeps up with GTX 1660 in many games. The 8 Gt memory is beneficial and driver updates will still even further improve performance. Polaris cards have already aged well and they can have their place in the market if price drops soon enough.

Undying likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It would be interesting if they allowed DX11 games to use this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    They have to get DX11 working right. Its not a if they will allow it.

Its really nice for DX12 games and removes that softness to them. Especially makes Shadow of the Tomb Raider look amazing, and same with Forza Horizion 4. Tested on a RX 480 Nitro 4GB with a RX 580 Nitro bios.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    They are gauging what people want. Enough vega owners want it, they will do it.
    Polaris got it because the amount of people who have one vs the Vega is prolly 4 to 1 plus vega is twice as fast on average. Navi got it, well cause its the new toy.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol.. why wouldn't vega users want a feature that improves image quality? I know this is AMD's official position but I think they should just be honest and say "we don't have the resources to bring this to all our GPUs at once so we are rolling it out based on number of users effected".. saying "they'll only do it if enough users want it" is amusing to me. Especially when Vega has been screwed out of multiple features now.

Embra likes this.
  9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Have patience, that's all you need :)

10. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Of course you'll never see the numbers of people who want it, there's no official mechanism to gauge the interest, no declared channel through which someone should let them know that they want it... AMD has basically told Vega owners to talk to the void and maybe they'll listen, leaving AMD to simply say at the end of it that there "Just wasn't enough interest" and no ability to dispute it.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    You sure about that look on things. Look at how many people showed they wanted 21:9 VSR. That was an easy way to gauge what people want. Might wanna rethink that.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn any chance we might get a test of RIS one day? Maybe when amd bring the effect to vega cards. I must say its looking good so image comparison would be interesting here on guru3d.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why should it be up to the community to find a way to create interest about a feature? Especially in the case of Vega, a product a relatively small number of people bought.. it would be way harder to do that than any other series. And now it's like "oh and if you want this thing organize community posts otherwise we aren't going to do it" - it's a really shitty way to treat your customers.

And again its particularly bad for Vega owners who already lost/don't have several promised features.. now it's just one more added unless "interest" is shown. Kind of goes against the whole finewine marketing.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Some things I agree on with you. Vega does deserve and need the feature. But there is nothing wrong with AMD gauging the needed interest by the users who want to have it.

Personally, I like AMDs way vs nvidia. Nvidia is its our way or piss off. I personally can not stand Nvidia anymore.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

16. FAQU

FAQU Member

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    Depending on what settings you are using, LumaSharpen can look better. Here are my LumaSharpen settings for Control:
    Sharpening Strength - 3.000
    Sharpening Limit - 0.010
    Sample Pattern - Normal
    Offset Bias - 1.000

Give them a try ;)