AMD Big Navi Would Yield 40-50 percent more than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    NO IT WONT

Please for the love of sanity, please stop with these sort of rumors and dreams. This sort of nonsense only leads to disappointments, broken hearts, and trolls.

Assume NOTHING cos you have seen and heard NOTHING.

A rumor is not even worth discussing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    barbacot and cryohellinc like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    But where's the fun in that.

carnivore, Undying and alanm like this.
  3. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    First it was NVIDIA marketing: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...to-be-30-percent-faster-than-rtx-2080-ti.html
    Now people from AMD marketing were thinking: Why so shy??? - let's leak a "rumor" that our cards will be 50 % faster.
    I bet that next week there will be a "rumor" here that Ampere is 80 % faster and then again AMD with 120 % and so on...at some point NVIDIA will claim that their card can cure cancer and AMD will immediately claim that their card can cure the global hunger...
    RTX 2080Ti - poor card - was more mentioned in rumors about next generation cards than in real articles about itself...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    There's already rumors that Ampere is 70 to 90% faster.

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    ...than Volta and only in certain scenario...

I think that from the AMD rumor is missing exactly this: " in certain scenarios" -they are bolder than NVIDIA I must admit.

mohiuddin likes this.
  6. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    I thought it was the 2080Ti, but its only a rumor like everything else. But it does give us something to chat about.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This leak actually comes from inside Nvidia. This is what Nvidia is targeting as AMD’s next card.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The 1800X wasn't a halo product is was easily mass producible. What Im saying is AMD should be making that tier higher that inst mass produced, that cost a ton, that very few will own, an actual halo product. Nvidia has done this for decades with the titans and top end TI's. They sell very few of these extremely high priced GPU's yet they are in every singe benchmark chart. This is how you win on marketing which for us here doesn't matter we will know better but for the general population perception matters. Hell its the sole reason people buy Bose because if it was sound quality nobody would have Bose systems.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AMD has a lot on its plate this year--with two separate consoles launched, with big Navi and Zen 3 on top. Did I forget to mention the APUs? Lots of stuff to cram into the next six months.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    After Hilbert posts some hands-on numbers, that's when I let myself get excited. Been this way for many years, and I want to thank him for that. (Thank you, Hilbert!)

CPC_RedDawn likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I believe it when I see it, as always. I hope AMD launches around the same time as Nvidia so reviews will be the most useful, giving an idea of what to buy as close to both launches as possible.

Maddness likes this.
  12. Sylencer

Sylencer Member

GPU:
    2080 Asus Strix OC
    Defo didn't wrote Disney there. Guess it's censored for some weird reason. I meant G-Nexus.

13. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    You never had a multi-gpu setup, I suppose :).

Loophole35 and Maddness like this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Actually you make a very good point, I didn't think of it that way. However, I do believe though that the 1800X could be seen as an AMD halo product for its time as AMD hadn't be competitive for over a decade and were now going up against the top end (in its segment) Intel product. AMD could of charged more for it, but they knew in order to make it more enticing for people to switch over they priced aggressively. I believe this was all planned out in advanced and is one of the reasons why they went with the CCX design making smaller cheaper to make dies in order to be price competitive. It was the 1800X that was the initial swing around for AMD, their product that firmly told the world "we are back". When was the last time AMD had a desktop CPU in the price range of $499 before the 1800X? That to me is a halo product.

Also Nvidia created a "halo product" in the form of the TITAN series by using what was meant to be their top end 700 series GPU. The first TITAN wasn't really a halo product it was because at the time AMD couldn't compete and Nvidia moved their product stack around. The same happened with the 600 series, the 680 was meant to the 670 as Nvidia was expecting more from 7970 and GCN. Where they released the 670 as the 680 to just edge out AMD and make more money on a less expensive chip that had better yields. AMD had to factory overclock the 7970 to the GHz edition to take the crown back. Ever since then Nvidia has been able to create new product stacks with lower end hardware in order to keep the crown but maximise profits.

To me a true halo product is something that ticks all the boxes, new architecture, new node, at least double performance, priced competitively, and matures well. It's something that brings a dead brand back to life and is something that people remember. I would say the last true Nvidia halo product was probably the 8800GT.

I guess people look at this from different angles, but I can understand what you said and it does make sense.

JamesSneed likes this.
  15. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 5700 XT TUF
    Can't see any point in an MCM config - this will waste space on memory controller and I/O pins which could be used for more shader/texture/raytracing blocks.

I'm betting on 80 CU (5120 shader cores) and 350 mm2 monolithic core, with ~20 TFLOPs (single precision), HBM2E and MSRP of $600.

16. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Did spell check get you on "hardware-assisted attracting" or is that something that I don't know about?

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Big Navi 40-50% faster... poor Ampere.

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Well, I'm up for a GPU upgrade come Sept or Oct, and with Ampere and Big NAVI, all I can say is, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

Maddness likes this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    AMD, please release a $200 card for 1440p 120 Hz gaming. Butter smooth gaming.
    And no, not the way 5600 was launched. That was a flop of a launch.

20. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    U can guess easily. Raytracing