AMD based Xbox Series X could have 3584 shader processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 31, 2019.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I can dig the shape of the new Xbox really like it reminds me of the trash can Mac pro except more boxy lol. Also that's some hefty gpu power for a consul God dajum!!!

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Who knows the performance of an unreleased product? News, opinions and leaks are getting tiresome. We have zero knowledge about it. Jensen is a Jensen, not authority or anything.

3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I am betting the Series X is the replacement for the Xbox One X, and we will see another model that's lower end - probably around 9.5 teraflops, like the existing PS5 dev kits. If that's the case, then it seems logical Sony would be working on a replacement for the Pro, which would be around the 12 teraflop mark just like the Series X.

Assuming the above, it seems likely they would both launch their Basic and Premium models next holiday. $400 for the basic models, $700 for the Premiums.

4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This is a rumor projecting out approximately 12 months--if true, and of course that's the key question, it could be a hint that ~5nm (or less?) is expected by then. It also could mean that since the xBox/PS GPUs are custom made for Microsoft and Sony, respectively, that the number of shaders here per compute core is drastically less than current 7nm retail GPUs. Should be fun to speculate.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

From what i understand xbox might be coming out with two versions, one of the masses and one for the top end, assuming the masses one will be similar to PS5 performance if this is the case. Think i heard the xboxonex is still meant to be sold as the basic version?

6. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    MS should just unlock the next Xbox with with a fully functional windows partition and an Xbox console partition. Add M&K support for the console games while they're at it. Can have that optimized console experience for the masses, and get some work done in the same box. I'd buy that. Never happen though.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It already happen 2 or 3 times...
    On other hand the XBox is still a PC on a tuned Windows...

8. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I don't buy it, simply because of the price. 8/16 Ryzen Zen2 CPU, (estimation) 2080 Super levels of performance, GDDR6, NVMe SSD...
    ... all for 500-600$?
    Nah, sorry, this ain't it.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    With them selling at a loss plus mass producing these parts so manufacturing costs won't be as bad as if they were just parts bought and put together, this won't be too bad for pricing. But also remember, that there is most likely a lower costing Series S or something coming as well to fill and price gap.

Let's remember where Microsoft and Sony really makes their money though, subscriptions.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like others have said before, it seems to good to be true although MS needs something special to compete with Sony but then again, do console gamers care that much about graphics??? I think MS should concentrate more on having more and better exclusives than on having a better console.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, I think there is every chance they know the numbers this time.

Some accountant whizz has crunched the numbers and saw that for MS to 'eat' the cost of producing an úber console, leaving no question about it's power versus all other consoles.

Versus:

The money that will be earnt from charging whatever they can get away with on their subscription model.

Because:

You can argue you have the best console...

That's the balancing act they are faced with after totally losing this round.

12. Bo Alenkaer

Bo Alenkaer Member

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @2101
    Gues they have a working 60-64CU GPU after all. AMD might just have had to make a stock for consoles. Lets see if bring something for the PC at CES :)

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    He's 100% biased, though, because the new consoles aren't using anything from his extremely successful semiconductor company. You might even say 200% biased because a good portion of the people buying a new gaming console won't be interested in PC gaming at all, which means they are automatically removed from Nvidia's direct potential customer base. Of course they would still remain indirect customers because Nvidia sells a whole lot to data centers and such.

14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    So many PC users in denial, XSX will be a beast. I'm actually optimistic about gaming future and can't wait to see what games will look like when development is no longer being slowed down by crappy Jaguar CPUs. I think next gen will be the best gen by far.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It'll be more of the same imho due to the costs involved. Gameplay has barely improved or seen much innovation for quite a few years, just prettier graphics and sometimes improved physics, that's about it tbh. Not that i'm complaining.