1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD/ATI Radeon HD6800 XT (Northern Islands Next Generation ATIs GPUs) Rumour...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Looking likely that the next Ati refresh will be 40nm. Rumour that 28nm isn't ready. 32nm cancelled 2 yrs ago.

2. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Angelo.. Man, You gotta have the fermi.. :nerd: The benchmarks are calling for you :hatty:

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Hey Bodar :) , i dont know yet :wanker:

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu

Er you guys notice he says "my rumored specifications" as in he's making all that up on the spot. Ray tracing is the giveaway.

6. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I don't see how AMD would release any new cards until they are able to produce them at 32/28nm.

It's hard to believe they could significantly improve upon the current design at 40nm.

7. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I think the modular design means the architechture consists of some basic blocks, lets call them clusters like NV has.

They are easy to scale, low-end has one, midrange has 2-3, highend has 4 and so on.

And I doubt we'll see HD6 till xmas this year at earliest. 28nm and TSMC is a huge questionmark.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    There using global foundries for some sort of GPU though i can't confirm if its the HD6xxx or not.

9. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Probably their low-end chips if I had to take a guess. GF doesn't pack the volume to produce enough highend GPUs while being busy with CPUs.

E: now that you think about it, it may be entirely possible to see 28nm in a HD 4770 like lower end card much earleir than the actual highend parts, see how it shrinks. There was big trouble even with such small GPU for 40nm so they probably try how it goes before biting it full with new architechture. We just saw how that ended up for NV... both shrink and brand new architechture.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Not me, the other guy in the other forum's thread. Yes not sure where he got that info from but who knows what the HD 6800 series is going to be all about. All I know for a fact its based off a brand new design :)
    Interesting analogy though I believe it won't we basic blocks but rather little GPU's such as multi-core. What I think ATI means about Modular Design is that they can add or take away (gpu cores) from the architecture at will much easier and efficiently.

Basically this new design will have nothing to so with anything they’ve done in previous years. AMD/ATI seems to be hooked on integration, so we shall see.

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Lets Recap

32 nm fabrication - Most Likely
    28 nm fabrication - Rumored

Code-named Cozumel(69xx), Ibiza(68xx) and Kauai(67xx) chips

Super Fast GDDR5 or other @ 6000Mhz or above

Direct3D support Direct3D 11.1 (unfinished)
    OpenCL support 1.1

Maybe add it to OP Chispy.

12. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Here's something to think about.
    ATI’s next-generation code-named Hecatonchires and the other is code-names Northern Islands.

Hecatonchires could be AMD/ATI's discrete graphics design. (HD 6800 & HD 7800's & HD 8800's) Rumoured HD 9800's are going to be based off another brand new design. :banana:
    Northern Islands could be based on AMD's Fusion design.

13. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Hmm some "info" that Northern Islands" is very likely a 40nm refresh of HD 5870.

Less shaders than 5870, but better efficiency by removing some bottlenecks of the GPU and target performance about 10% higher than GTX 480..

Heca... what ever would be the real HD6 series. Coming sometime next year.

http://translate.google.cn/translat...php?tid=78057&page=5&authorid=2&sl=auto&tl=en

e: actually not sure about the series number, it could be HD6 already for the NS, and something else for the Heca.

14. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    It's already stated that there may be 2 completely new architectures. The HD 5800 refresh is not called Northern Island, it’s something else as per AMD’s road map(s).

Here is one link out of several splattered all over the internet.
    AMD's next-gen GPU "Manhattan" and "Northern Islands" use 32nm process?
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...an-and-northern-islands-use-32nm-process.aspx

Also look at this QUOTE:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, the way I understand it is Ati's only 32nm option is Global Foundries. It's been speculated that their 32nm process isn't ideal for graphics cards (something to do with the gate technology?).

28nm isn't ready so the cards coming end of this year are highly unlikely to be 28nm as TSMC's process isn't ready. This does also mean Nvidia won't be on 28nm anytime this year.

More than likely right now is back to the drawing board and try to tape-out 40nm 5000 series refresh. This means the performance improvement of 6000 series won't be as much as Ati wanted it to be. Luckily, their 5870 design left quite a bit of headroom to improve upon their 40nm designs.

I wouldn't expect more than 10-15% improvement over 5870. This would make it comparable with fermi with just enough horse-power to beat it.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Thanks, I didn't feel like reading 7 pages.

Any rumoured release date?

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Q4 this year but who knows

AMDs top man has been hitting around that time.

18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    There is also talk that ATi lost about 6 months work when TSMC cancelled 32nm, which would make old roadmaps invalid, and AMD busy doing 40nm refresh.

And GF 32nm is for CPUs, it is too expensive to manufacture GPUs on SOI process.

19. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Well definitely we are going to see a HD 5800 re-fresh one that will be better than its previous HD 4870 into HD 4890 in terms of performance throughput. I would assume at the very least a 20% boost in performance for the HD 5890 over the HD 5870 which should be more than enough to overtake the hot and power hungry GTX 480. AMD’s CEO already stated a re-fresh for sometime before the 2nd half of 2010 which means between January to June 2010. It’s already April is just a few days away and it seems as though AMD doesn’t want to stop putting pressure on NVIDIA so IMO we may see something in around the end of April to as early as May 2010.

One more interesting speculation I’ve been seeing around the internet is this re-fresh may not be fully based on the HD 5800 series but a possible greatly slimmed down version of its next gen HD 6000 series, perhaps maybe a HD 6770 or something which should easily run circles around Fermi.

So let the rumours run wild for now until we get another official statement from AMD.

Here's my speculation, IMO a HD 6770 will be able to blow the doors of the fastest KING around, the HD 5970 by as much as 50% or more, nothing less. If this is true, then how would you rate a HD 6870 :banana:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  20. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ I think you are overestimating the capabilities of the new architecture, the current 5770 at stock clocks doesn't even beat the 4870, so for the 6770 to beat a very good dual GPU card like the 5970 is a big big ask, not gonna happen