1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD/ATI Radeon HD6800 XT (Northern Islands Next Generation ATIs GPUs) Rumour...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    I would have to agree but I don't think people are willing to keep upgrading there PC parts to handle demanding games. But then again, even an average running PC with average parts can kick any gaming Console up the rear end in Picture Quality + Audio Quality + Speed :)

Though I do like the fact ATI got the GPU contract for the next XBOX contract.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People go to consoles for certain types of games too, if sports/fighting games were on the PC with the same choice, i probably wouldn't have any consoles, its not just ease of use, and the PS3 has the best gaming audio around, the PC is still abit behind with that.

So is there anything new and concrete about these cards then, since this is an oldish thread.

3. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    As an owner of a PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 (in that order) I won't ever say I hate consoles, in fact I like them in many ways, but as of last year I have been a proud owner of a gaming PC and like many had my roots in video gaming firmly with PC. I still have the X360 and PS3, but I strongly feel that PCs are superior.

4. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    You feel it because they are superior dude, my console days started with that pong machine(dont remember its name, i was like 4 or something lol), then the sinclair spectrum and atari console(i thought the wood was new tech and cool!?!), then the NES and onwards, at the time I truly thought my commodore and amstrad(with the funky green screen:)) were the best for gaming as I was able to make my own choices while I wrote out those game books(anyone remember those?), they were the basis for what was to become. when pc's came about gaming was always superior, graphicaly or otherwise. Keep at it mate, even if game devs dont lol.

5. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    I've owned all the Sega platforms from the Sega Master System to the Sega Dreamcast. I really enjoyed them a lot. Then somebody got me into PC gaming and that was the end of consoles for me. I didn't need anything Nintendo because my friend had them.

It's confirmed we are getting new ATI cards out for the 2nd half of 2010 as per AMD's CEO :banana:

6. mlmiller

mlmiller Active Member

GPU:
    v3600-256
    Maybe just put a "5" in (ie 5875) and bump the clock 15%.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Im torn appart between waiting for the next generation ATI HD6XXX cards wich should be out in a few months or wait for the Fermi2 refresh :/

8. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    Northern Islands is set to be a fresh architecture, right? I wonder if they'll continue using a ton of small, hive-cluster-like shaders, as they are now, or start using less. strong shaders, like nVIDIA is now?

9. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    2 new ATI GPU architectures coming out between Q4 2010 to Q2 2011.
    ATI’s next-generation code-named Hecatonchires :david: and the other is code-names Northern Islands. :D

What we sort of know about them is both are complete new Builds from the ground up, a headlining feature is said to be Multiple Instruction/Multiple Data (MIMD) shaders, which should dramatically boost GPU parallelism beyond what is offered by today’s SIMD cores along with a much richer feature-set compared to the current Evergreen series.
    There are also rumours both are also going to be based on a full modular design.

We also know that one of these designs are going to be paired with a AMD CPU for it’s Fusion Core along with mobile and such and the other will be based on discrete graphics.

Sources:
    http://tech.icrontic.com/news/rumor-next-gen-ati-gpu-codenames-pinned/
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...ck_for_the_Second_Half_of_2010_AMD_s_CEO.html

:bigsmile:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  10. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    be based on a full modular design.

What does this mean?

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    No idea :confused:

12. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I'm thinking it means that they won't have to spin off more than one GPU design for the series. The low and mid range cards will literally be the exact same chip with parts cut. Should cut down on production costs.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What if it means you can upgrade the GPU core and VRAM and the board independently.

But nah, you're probably right.

14. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    Hecatonchires is a perfect name, then, if it's modular in the sense that you can just remove parts as you like to make the different market segment chips...

15. Super XP

Super XP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    This about Phenom II X4 and X6, multi-core CPU's now think Modular Design. If my memory serves me well, ATI's next gen built from the ground up is going to be smaller but more. Not just 1 GPU but 1 GPU comprised of 4 to 6 smaller GPU's integrated together onto one PCB yet different than how the HD 5970 is designed.

Something like 4 or 6 little GPU's inside 1 large GPU. Talk about massive GPU Multi-Tasking and Hardware Crossfire :cheers:

Of course IMO :)

Also check out this:
    :banana::banana:

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Cool, these specifications are sick.should bitch slap the competition. we should be looking at 6 TFlops for the single die 68xx and possibly 12 TFlops for a 69xx card

17. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 FuryX 4GB HBM
    OMG we are getting closer and closer to ray traced games..can't wait:D...i want to be fully immersed:p

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The plan is to sell you lot mobo's with capabilities able to unlock more cores for example. I can see AMD doing this with both their gpu and cpu's with high-end mobo's.

19. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Ah man. All of this is sounding awesome.:)

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Looks like it will be my next graphics card :) And about the nvidia/amd driver issues I never have any problems with either side. I think it comes down to USER ERROR !