AMD Athlon X4 845 Processor (Carrizo ) Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Realistically speaking, yes i understand what you're saying there's many variables, but this processor, the AMD Athlon X4 845, is the only desktop form of excavator to see what clock per clock differences there are between excavator and piledriver and/or bulldozer

Piledriver was supposed to be if i remember correctly around 15% better IPC then bulldozer. In reality, it was more like 2-8% on average and some things a bit more, mostly in single-core performance

Steamroller vs piledriver was supposed to be 10-20% better IPC, and proved to be correct about that depending on the situation, but mostly sat around 7-10%

excavator is supposed to be 15% better then steamroller, but from what i can tell is maybe 5-10% better then steamroller

So that puts excavator where, in comparison to piledriver, and in comparison to bulldozer? 14-30% better then bulldozer and 12-21% faster then piledriver?

Which would mean Zen would be 59-82% faster then bulldozer and 56-69% faster then piledriver if the 40% claim vs excavator is correct?

This is why i am wondering what the difference is between excavator and piledriver/bulldozer, most of us that still have AMD CPUs have these architectures and not steamroller or excavator, and my numbers are likely completely wrong to real-world scenarios. In the end, if there's nothing that compares them that's fine we'll see how zen performs in the end either way, it was just a curiosity to see what zen is "supposed" to be compared to what most AMD CPU users have currently.

I don't understand this comment. Excavator was not on AM1, Excavator is on FM2+ and FP4

The only architectures that AM1 was used for were Jaguar i believe?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Read past the sentence you quoted from. I addressed laptops because they are pretty much the only platform where all generations of the 15h family existed on, but as stated before, they weren't worth comparing, so I spent the rest of my post discussing desktop parts.

You asked for a way to compare Zen to other processors and I'm trying to explain to you why that hasn't been done, accounting for all factors. That includes laptops.

Anyway, the Athlon x4 845 isn't the only desktop Excavator part. There are desktop excavator AM1 parts too.

I agree that it would be nice to see some real numbers and a solid IPC comparison between each generation and a rough performance estimate of PD to Zen, but unfortunately it doesn't seem many people care enough to make such a comparison. Your math seems sound though. Regardless of Zen's performance, even if it's 10% faster than excavator, it is still a substantial upgrade over PD.