AMD Arcturus Could Be The Codename Succeeding Navi

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is always something new in technology land, in that respect, it certainly does not disappoint. While the Navi is still a lightyear away, the successor to it might be Arcturus. Arcturus is a larg...

AMD Arcturus Could Be The Codename Succeeding Navi

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    So... 2045 or 2046?

yasamoka, pimpineasy and rl66 like this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    from the booty constelation... oups i missunderstand :)

Maddness, Duke Nil and Silva like this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    no there will be hype 5 year before release, so not so far away :)

Each time i ear the word "navi" i think about Zelda: "hey" "hey, watch out" floating around you.

5. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Let's first see navi im 5-6 years, then we'll talk.

6. msotirov

msotirov Active Member

GPU:
    rx 480
    Someone's been lurking on Phoronix, I see :)

7. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    The slides say on track, and have a huge gap. So, Navi could land somewhere between 2019 and 2020.
    Lisa Su made changes to RTG, they can't afford to have 4 to 5 years gap between products or they'll be irrelevant.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    That's where Nvidia made a mistake: They didn't hype Turing for a few years, and without saving money for years, nobody can afford them.

Maddness and Silva like this.
  9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580, MESA 20.0.2
    I want AMD to get back to it badly, but I just don't see how, please, prove me wrong and surprise your competitors with an energy efficient product.

Silva likes this.
  10. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Shine AMD, SHINE LIKE NEVER BEFORE!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I think about tall blue dragon riding girls.

That picture's actually sad, doesn't it mean that the Pulsar (?) there is sucking matter from the red giant? :D

OT: Idc what it's called, I just want AMD to slap Nvidia asap.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    rl66 likes this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    C'mon AMD, get that bad boi out on the market!

fantaskarsef and pimpineasy like this.
  14. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    only 96 days till 2019. Turing not really out yet either...

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    As soon as NASA gets there and brings back samples.
    As long as you are not working for AMD, it is fine to have no clue.

16. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    It will probably be late 2019/2020 before we are able to get our hands on Navi. Still with the way Nvidia is pricing themselves, that is not such a painful wait.

RzrTrek likes this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Reads like coherent text...

j/k

1st sentence is just random nonsense. Attempt on 2nd sentence does not even reach status of nonsense, it is plain lunacy.
    3rd... whatever it was meant to be... came turned inside out.

I think this is adequate explanation. So sorry for being D*, but someone has to...

Netherwind and G13Homi like this.
  18. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    u a bully I beat up bully <-- that should make sense u seem 2018 trendy.
    all day

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  19. blazngun

blazngun Member

GPU:
    GTX 760
    a bully that speaks the truth.

RzrTrek likes this.
  20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Meanwhile, nVidia will continue to offer new GPUs with features that don't work, either because nVidia "hasn't turned them on in the drivers, yet" (I have *never* understood that nV excuse--it dates from the 3dfx days, and has been used several times by nV over the years..), or because they aren't supported by any 3d API or by game developers--yet, or "new" GPUs that register 10%-20% frame-rate increases over their last gen (but only in selected *benchmarks*, of course), and at non-bargain-basement prices of a mere $800-$1300--what a deal! [not]. Excuse me, I'll pass!....:D Seriously, how dumb does nVidia think a person has to be to fall for the RTRT boondoogle--again!? I mean--here's the bottom line--nVidia is selling the RTRT feature in this card but are they shipping a RTRT demo with these inordinately expensive cards? Nope--not on your life--Instead, nVidia buyers are treated to a pre-rendered videoclip of other nVidia GPUs in a very special rig rendering the effects that nVidia swears up and down will be possible , someday, with this $800-$1300 GPU the company wants you to buy..! Something is wrong with this picture, and I should not have to point out what it is...;)

AMD desperately needs to pick up the GPU space and come out with another 8GB RX-480 at RX-480 prices of $250-$300, but 50%-100% faster (in reality) over RX-480--and they will own the GPU markets. I should think such a value-oriented beast will be possible @ 7nm.

One thing I'd love to see in GPU reviews is a "compatibility index"--say, in WIn10x64, with a dozen or more classic, old games like those sold through GOG. I mean, I've literally dozens of games installed that range from > 30 years old to ~10 years old, requiring DOSbox on up) in addition to several current releases, of course, and they all run wonderfully well under Win10x64 (Only thing I add is the DX9.0c runtime, which supports up through DX11 on Win10x64) and the latest Adrenalins (18.9.2). It would be very helpful for GPU customers to know which new/er GPUs/drivers support these games and which do not, if any do not. With the addition of the BTIV, I now own 313 Gog titles--installed. I own 52 Steam games, 46 installed; 12 UUplay games installed, and about 23 Origin games installed--Origin is mostly the C&C set. Every single one of them no matter how old runs beautifully with my RX-480 8GB. That sort of compatibility means a great deal to me. (I prefer GOG to Steam because GOG provides me with my own installable game copy--something I learned to expect many years ago, whereas Steam does not. Already my compressed GOG installable copies take up ~700MBs on a dedicated 1TB HDD--the games are installed on my other drives, of course.) If it was possible, I would move everything to GOG and cancel Steam--let it languish, whatever--but I can't get past a few Steam titles I own that are DRM'ed and require Steamworks to be running in order to run. But, as soon as such a game appears on GOG free of DRM I will buy it when it hits a sale price and uninstall my Steam copy, etc.) 'Kay, I have blithered my quota for the day...;)