AMD APU for the win?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Silent_Takedown, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hi all,

Could anyone tell me about these AMD APUs (Fusion) processors? I don't know much about them at the moment but having a read and getting more info.

Just wondered if anyone is using one and are they the dogs doodars and should we all be getting one? I only upgraded back in Feb and wondered if I should have waited for these or should I now upgrade to one.

Anyways I'm no PC Guru so was just after a bit more info and general thoughts about what people think, are they amazing and something to really consider or just something different to a non APU.

Thanks.

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I have one of the netbook ones the E-350 and its a nice little machine, low power/heat and better performance than the Intel atoms at similar speeds even when they are combined with the NG-ION.

I'm guessing you're referring more to the newer more powerful Llano ones though? From the specs i've seen they sound like nice mid level chips and having a fairly decent GPU on board is a bonus but going by your system specs they probably wouldn't add too much as they are based off the Phenom architecture but just a little lower TDP than yours.

3. kbozz71

kbozz71 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I've built 4 A8-3850 systems for my company and three didn't work right. I assumed it was the motherboards. I returned them and the new boards just came in. The one system that did work would not complete 3D Mark 06 without crashing.(catalyst 11.7 drivers) I'm not real convinced about these chips just yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but first impressions were not great. I will rebuild a system today and test. Will let you know how it turns out.

4. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Thank you for the reply stone-eye and yes I was referring to the Llanos.

That's a bit of a bummer Kbozz71, hope you get them sorted and would be nice to see how that build turns out today.

I've also been discussing this with a mate as he currently has an Intel Core 2 duo 2.66GHz (not 100% sure) and we're thinking would a Llano chip be a major improvement for him or perhaps go for say the AMD Phenom II X4 BE 975 that he's been eyeing up.

Thanks again guys and gals.

5. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    If he already has a nice GPU then probably the phenom would be my advice, the best thing about Llano in my view is the integrated GPU and it has more of a hit on its hands in terms of mobile systems for this reason.

6. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Llano was a bit of a disappointment. The CPU performance is similar to an Athlon II and the integrated GPU performs between a Radeon 6450 and 5570 (although this is much better then Intel HD 3000 graphics). On the AMD side you are better off with a a Phenom II and a discrete GPU for gaming still.

7. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I still think its the mobile market where they'll do best.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think people forgot that AMD considered the Llano chip to be mainstream, it was never meant to be better than the current Athlon II offerings to be honest. It's based on the same microarchitecture as well, it's still a K10 core that's been tweaked.

Wait for Bulldozer that's due next month and then decide how to upgrade.

deltatux

9. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
  10. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    I like the idea of these for a budget rig, but right now i think the price is a little high. You can pretty much build a Phenom II or Athlon rig for almost the same price with better performance.

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The A6-3650 which is the middle of the pack is sold for $120 on NewEgg Canada which isn't too bad considering the only other components you need are the motherboard, RAM, HDD, ODD, PSU and case.

If you slap an Athlon II/Phenom II on a 880G chipset for example, the IGP sucks and if you slap an Athlon II/Phenom II on an 870 chipset motherboard and get a Radeon HD 6450, it'll probably be slightly more expensive and uses more power.

So, really, the Llano APU isn't that bad if you want a rig with a really good IGP for a good price. Plus, you can always get better performance with Hybrid CrossFire which you can't really with the Athlon II/Phenom II options.

deltatux

12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    The amd llano makes for a nice netbook/laptop but thats about it. Personally, I am waiting to buy one when manufacturer comes out with a 10-12in. Smallest I seen so far is 14in which is far to large for my taste. The llano for a desktop makes no sense to me.

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Any specific reasons why you're waiting on that die shrink to buy anything?

deltatux

14. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated. Just wanted to know what thoughts were so thank you and as for my mate, I think he's decided to not do anything at all :-/.