AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper 1920X and 1950X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Pricing looks good, nearly linear scaling with the rest of the lineup. I personally have no use for that many cores - but people doing video work/running VM's/etc will probably love these things.

Having 16 cores at 4Ghz would be pretty awesome.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seems AMD isn't [yet] wasting their time with lower-clocked and/or non-X variants, and I don't blame them. Considering the limited overclockability of Ryzen, everyone would buy cheaper variants and OC them if they were available.

Haha funny how the Ryzen 3s were also emboldened at the bottom, like "oh yeah and BTW, these exist too, but they're not worth reporting on".

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    So chances are this will clock similar to standard DT Ryzen (4-4.1 GHz), but with 16 cores, and at probably a far more reasonable power consumption than X299?

5. k3lt

k3lt Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 Gaming 2GB
    Single Threaded performance still sucks?

6. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    12 cores with a base clock of 3.5 GHz and a boost clock of 4 GHz at the asking price of $799 is a steel, really.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Statistically it will clock slightly worse than the 1800x (it's basically two 1800x's stuck together), so you double the chance of a core not hitting whatever the target frequency is.

Power consumption per core will be lower, but Intel's top X299 parts will probably cap out at 300w, this might be the same when all the cores are clocked at 4ghz. Threadripper has a larger surface area though and soldered IHS (at least as far as we know). It also has the same AVX performance as Ryzen. Temps will be far lower.

I guess if sucks is defined by "90% of the competition's for half the price".

8. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Is´nt 16 cores @4.00GHz, "Precision Boost" just affects 1 core per CCX, up 200MHz over "Max Turbo Boost", Max Turbo Boost affects up to Half of theads, could be up to 3.80GHz, "Turbo Boost" affects all threads, could be 3.60GHz, then is a 16 cores @3.60GHz :infinity:

9. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    yeah, 32 cores "EPYC" draws lower power than 28 cores "Platinium" Xeons :infinity: AMD RYZEN ark are way more efficent than Kabylake/Skylake :pc1:

10. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Guess you missed all the months of info on AMDs new architecture. They are beating Intel at every price point.

Single thread performance is good, and you get 2x the cores and a lot more features than Intel.

This CPU supports ECC from what i have read, so it should be able to compete with some of the ridiculously overpriced Xeons for a fraction of the cost.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
    16 cores, 32 threads, 3.4Ghz, 4.0Ghz boost, $999, my freakin goodness

Hi 2004, you might want to visit 2017.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah, I'm talking about overclocking though. Like there are definitely people that buy this and have all 16 cores at 4Ghz. Pair with a few Vega GPU's and some decent virtualization software and you can run like 4 fully fledged gaming systems off one computer.

If I had a family with kids I'd totally do that for nerd cred.

13. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Umm, since Intel just has 10% higher top clocks (4.50GHz vs 4.00GHz) and less than 5% higher IPC, yeah, but thats on games, ThreadTripper is´nt a gaming CPU, in render you prefer 32 Threads @3.60GHz than 20 Threads @4.30GHz :infinity:

14. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    yes!

15. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Intel fanboys will fanboy all over the place.

Because of the modular design (CCX) AMD can afford to price these very competitively. Intel, on the other hand, charge a kidney for every core you add above 4.

Treadripper is the ultimate workstation, AMD won 2017 for the CPU. Let's hope they're working hard on Navi.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 H²O@1100/1300 Cust
    I'd guess, logically, with those price points, that the 10-core version would be about $699, and a possible 8 core version (with quad channel memory still and those 64 PCIe lanes) at $599.
    They might not do an 8 core version, in which case I'd hope for a lower clocked 10 core at that price point.

Also leaves room for a 14 core version at $899.

All good though. ;)

17. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro Fury OC
    Maybe a little cheaper ($50 or so) with the Ryzen 7 price drops.

18. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Man that cpu is huge look at it on the guys hand! 16 core, sweet.

19. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 @ 2038/4514
    Not sure how i feel about rushing towards the 8core. Should've waited for this.. but when
    i bought the 8 core threadripper wasn't even a rumour.

20. Zeka

Zeka Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280 3GB
    This is just amazing. This level of performance in a desktop computer is out of this world

I just checked the pricing on the i9 7900x : Amazon lists at $1049 (out of stock) and Newegg $1186 (also out of stock)