AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 - passing 5.5 GHz 15% Single Thread perf Increase - RDNA2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    interesting

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    That's my Christmas present for myself., new MOBO/RAM/CPU.

Valken, tunejunky, Embra and 3 others like this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Oh I'm sure it will be faster...
    ... what I'm not sure is, will it be sufficiently faster to worth changing the entire damn computer ... Cpu/Mobo/Memory$$$ ?

Probably not.
    I'll be fine with what I have now until 2024, unless it breaks.

Maybe by that time DDR5 is actually affordable.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This will be so good. Increased clocks and ipc, ddr5, pcie5. Start saving up...

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep, I'm in. Where do I sign up.

tunejunky, Embra and Undying like this.
  7. MonsterMX99

MonsterMX99 Member

GPU:
    Looks like really good but I will hold with my 5900x for 1-2 years more.

Fediuld and Maddness like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd have expected more than 15%, especially since the clocks increase alone would explain a good portion of that 15%. It seems like the actual IPC upgrade is not that significant.

Picolete and Fediuld like this.
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    good stuff, curious to see how avx-512 stacks up to intel's offerings

10. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Well, the wording in the article is not very precise, but being able to reach 5,5 GHz assuming at least some IPC improvement has been made, we are already talking about a level above product stack compared to Zen 3. Though, if a 16-core part beats by 30 % the 12900K, which has 8 performance cores and 8 efficiency ones, then that certainly lowers expectations for many. I'm now yet more convinced that if you have any relatively new CPU, it is sensible to skip the upcoming CPUs and just invest in a GPU or whatever else, since you would also have to pay for DDR5. It seems the hype once more leads to a less impressive actual release.

Last edited: May 23, 2022

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Cool, but i'll go for stability which means sticking to Intel.

Why_Me and MegaFalloutFan like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That makes no sense.

Ivrogne, Aura89, tunejunky and 5 others like this.
  13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Understandable for many, but for me PC hardware is the only hobby that I spend much cash on. Not to say I upgrade constantly, rather when I see something new to play with. My current 6900xt/3800x based rig superceded a 1080Ti/2700k based one so I don't just buy for the sake of it. But I want to replace my lads hardware so my 570 taichi and cpu will go to him, so with the 6900x if a suitable replacement is out at the end of the year.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Like the current Intel chips/mobo/bios had a flawless journey ha ha ha ha

Keitosha, kakiharaFRS and Undying like this.
  15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    ok it took me months and special apps to have 5950x run almost perfect....other than the very high idle versus Intel...everyone including youtubers and review websites conveniently forget that intel idles at like 13W while AMD is more in the 10% cpu usage of intel

but intel that yes WAS stable pre-z690 definitely isn't since Z690 I said it many times it's garbage I HATE it...I never had so many blue screens I never had to go back on overclocking and memory speed that fast it's very unstable and no it's not "me" several youtubers have given their feedback on 12900k z690 and they all say they don't work on them because they aren't as stable as amd or older gens

if you read my comments you know I'm quite negative in my opinions..I really hope I was wrong with X670 and that it won't suck like Z690
    - I saw they learned a few things with it like don't put a gigantic freaking heat exchanger 1mm above (on top of m.2 slot above gpu so close it almost touches the pcie slot itself) 300-600w nuclear reactor gpus all it was doing is heat your entire motherboard components and block backplate waterblocks...which is pretty much a requirement for 400+ watts gpus, vram or not it helps a ton, power delivery is on the other side of the gpu and all that power goes through it first, yes they change "radiated" heat in the case a lot, massive difference especially for DDR that doesn't get 60-80°C air now
    - what I don't get is why they still have 4 memory slots when it totally doesn't work (check z690 motherboard 4 sticks QVL and you'll see for yourself..it's not that they aren't tested it's that they only work below 4800Mhz which is really bad on ddr5 ddr5=clockspeed not timings) I'm hoping AMD managed to do it better but I doubt it I fear the omerta (law of silence from mafia) will continue and they will all shut up about it

Valken, tunejunky and Undying like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its silly becouse alder lake from cpu bending, crazy power draw and heat, bad ddr5 support, drm issues was a smooth sailing. :D

Valken and Horus-Anhur like this.
  17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Current boost are 4.8? in that case it would be half and half, 7% ipc and 7% clockspeed.
    If they didn't speak about new fpu unit, new alu, new pipeline, this is basically zen3 at lower nanomenter with a new IO bridge + cache. And that is good enough for me ( i am on a 2700x )

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    tunejunky and Undying like this.
  19. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Was expecting more performance uplift than this tbh, thought we'd see 25%-35%

Not sure what AMD has been doing the last 2.5 years since Zen3. Maybe most of the work is being done for Zen5 I believe that's a from the ground up redesign

Kool64 likes this.
  20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Am pretty sure we are not seeing all there is to see here, we dont know for example if the chips have 3d stacking as the 5800x3d has or will there be a specific gamers line for that? the 5.5ghz clockspeed was genuine for sure but which CPU was that its just a taster of things to come, again they gave us the information in advance and they seem to be delivering on that promise with what we have seen so far, I will say this, TDP is 170w we know AMD is more honest than Intel in this respect, Intels ks CPU chews up to 320w mobo dependant to do the same 5.5ghz speed and they use some pretty fancy coolers at the same time, these CPUs use AM4 coolers so efficiency/performance wise its looking good.
    Either was as an enthusiast I will be in line to buy.

pegasus1 likes this.