AMD Announces Ryzen 7 3700X, 3800X and Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    That's pretty bad situation you are in. Because there is always some bottleneck. If it is not CPU, it is GPU or storage, ... or as you mentioned, memory.

2. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    I'd be tempted to buy myself faster RAM, but who knows if i'd even be able to sell my current RAM for much, even though it's sealed.

Is Samsung b die still produced for the time being before being discontinued? Mine is Samsung b die and I bet if I buy something else now, which is faster, it won't be.

3. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Anyone wanting to buy any RAM should do it soon. As soon as the Ryzen 3000 series hits stores, the price of RAM is going to go through the roof. DDR4 3866-4000 speed is going to most likely be the new standard for Ryzen 3000, just like DDR4 3200-3333 has been for Ryzen 2000. It won't be long until RAM prices double in cost again.

4. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    do you agree with others that the older mobos will also handle faster RAM, ie the cpu allowing it is the important part and won't need a x570 to get the benefits?

Maybe I could buy some faster RAM now and hold on to my 3200 kit in the hopes tat prices do go up across the boards (some would still want 3200 Samsung b die). Only problem, like I was saying, is I MYSELF want Samsung b die and I don't know if it can evens till be had, especially in those higher speeds.

edit: those speeds you mentioned are too high of prices even right now. Not going to spend $400 on a 32 gb kit when 3200 can be had for barely over $150, and even the kit I linked to in my next post below is 3600s peed and only around $165. So it would cost double to go from 3600 to the range you mentioned.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

5. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    For the people who say I am over-worrying about RAM compatibility when it's not on the QVL... link

Notice in that review G.skill did exactly what I say a manufacturer will do if a kit not on the QVL doesn't work at advertised speeds. They run to their list and say basically too bad. So I am right back not knowing what to do. I didn't spend insanely high $340+ for 3200 RAM just to then have it run at 2133 like g.skill didn;'t care about that guy having happen.

How can AMD be considered a worthy competitor if you have to buy a kit from a list of next to nothing or else you're playing a lottery as to whether your RAM will run faster than 2133? Meanwhile almost everything works with intel.

Also, if you are supposed to buy from the WVL what in the world do people do who buy the cpu on day 1? There probably wouldn't really be any QVLs available in time to have RAM by then.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's an odd example to use, since the reviews also show an Intel user who couldn't get it to work.

I have G.SKILL 2400 memory on my 2400G system and it works perfectly. The same goes for my G.SKILL 3200 memory on my 1950X system and Corsair 3000 memory on my Ryzen 1800X system.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Asus has strongly hinted at a cpu higher than the 3900x in a bit-tech interview.

8. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    So? That doesn't change anything. I said it's like a lottery, so you won the lottery or you used kits from a QVL.

9. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I've got some crappy Hynix AFR that would only work at 2800 back in May of 2017 on my 1600X. Now I can get it to the factory 3200 though no farther. I plan on at least factory speeds but I'd wager that I can push it to 3400 or so with the 3700X I plan on getting. I'm not going to buy new memory right now because there just isn't a need for me to bother.

10. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    The problem for me is I haven't done it before, so was counting on the automatic RAM OCing through the profile. I wouldn't know what I am doing when manually changing settings to get it right (other than maybe trying the listed timings).

11. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's what you always did before XMP. It doesn't take a genius. Kinda like plug&play devices, at some point you had to manually install the driver/assign ports. Doesn't take a genius but it's always a welcome convenience to have things happen automatically. Anyway, if amd lead the market it's going to turn around, XMP will be tuned for them, not intel so you'll have trouble getting kits to run there instead. The problem is the lackluster support from the manufacturers not testing proper for Ryzen 1k/2k, so blame them (for products released post ryzen anyway)

12. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    All I know is I hope things go well because that's a ton to put into a RAM kit and then it be worthless, ie 2133 speed.

I'm trying to do the math now to figure out how much money I've lost in the 2 years I've been crazily buying parts, not opening any, reselling some when better stuff comes out. lol.

I haven't lost much, BUT I got great deals I wasted is the problem. I did a ton of $50 and $75 off deals from a certain site. But anyway.... so far I have sold an rx 580, a gtx 1060, a 960 evo, a 2700x, an x470, and trying to sell a p400 case. Out of all that insanity, due to all the deals I got on them, I haven't lost a lot, but now the new parts will cost more than those originally did, ie I am out a lot more in the long run.

next time I won't do this long drawn out mess. lol.

13. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    Any thoughts on whether I should just keep the b450-i I bought for $120 or return it to decide later whether to get a b450, x470, or x570? Only thing is they may not have any of those older ones as low priced around launch, as they'd have no b550 to compete with the x570 yet./

14. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    ^ I would have kept that X470 board but assuming the B450 is a decent one you can build around that. I have a mediocre B350 which I'm thinking of just replacing my 1600X with a 3700X, can't wait till the 7th July :)

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I find that ironic, since I'm notoriously bad at winning the silicon lottery. I guess I got super lucky with my memory, eh? ;)

Like I said, a particular memory not working well with Ryzen doesn't indicate much (especially since the RAM you linked to is 3600 - Zen+ has difficulty scaling beyond 3200). All four sticks of my G.SKILL Trident-Z 3200 RAM work perfectly fine @ 3200 and my Corsair Vengeance 3000 sticks also run without issue at @ 3200 (no advanced configuration required). Zen 2 should also come with official support for 3200 MHz memory so there should be little to worry about.

If you're really worried, then ask reddit about Ryzen compatibility with your particular RAM.

16. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070ti
    Sorry for this question. Is it possible to even speculate on the performance differences between the 3700x and say the i7 9700k? I would like to build a amd system (MB, cpu and ram), but will it be economically worth it?

17. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    well intel claimed they are about even, I think, but that doesn't tell us much since it was them claiming it and only based on cinebench scores. I bet it would be close enough, though, although obviously each would be better in different programs, since the 9700k doesn't even have multithreading. Maybe someone else will have more detailed thought than me, though. :)

As for being worth it, seems to me it may only be worth it if using something below a x570 mobo, but depends if you would care about the pcie 4.

18. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    Ironically, the VRM tier lists listed the b450 I got well above the x470 I sold. But also it's an itx one, which some may not like the idea of. I am still on the fence on atx vs. itx. The only case I have found that can do an itx build and be a quiet case seems to be the fractal design mini c. well, it's almost the same size case as the define c which can do an atx build, so not sure yet what I will do there.

19. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070ti
    I myself (really not up to speed on the tech today) dpn't see why I would need pcie 4. Some of that stuff mentioned in those yt and articals about those mb's really scares me. When things have to many moving parts its usually a recipe for failure some how.

20. thunder9

thunder9 Active Member

GPU:
    1070 TI
    I'm by no means an expert, but that is my opinion of the situation, as well. In far more than 99% of real life situations a pcie 4 ssd will not be noticeably different than a pcie 3 one and I don't like the idea of fans on the mobos. I think sme gpus are going to be pcie 4, but I don't really care about that or know how much it will affect anything.

So if the older mobos will handle the RAM as well, I might as well stick with an older mobo.

So if you get one of those other motherboards, you'd come out a lot cheaper with amd. it's up in the air how close the 3700x may be to the 9700k for gaming, though. I don't game on a pc myself.