1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Announces Ryzen 7 3700X, 3800X and Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    And I notice that AMD hasn't jabbed Intel regarding "TDP". They simply list the specs, leaving unsaid the fact that the Intel chips are going to draw far more power when loaded.

2. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080ti /1080/1060
    AMD put the extra powerdraw outside the cpu. Chipset now need a fan :p

Maybe total powerdraw will be the same with Cpu and MB combined :D

3. karma777police

karma777police Active Member

GPU:
    If you ask me I would get a good x470 motherboard for $90 and drop Zen 2 into it. It sounds like much better deal to me.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, I've built both AMD and Intel systems in the past. In general, I buy according to my needs and what my wallet can support. Frankly, if Intel wasn't such a scrooge (selling octa-core CPUs for $1K) then I would probably still be with them. I willingly gave up stronger IPC and clock speeds for more affordable cores for my grid computing apps. I also play games with a GPU cap so didn't mind the loss of IPC. It fit my needs better, so that's what I went with.

AMD increasing IPC with Zen 2 is certainly nice, but I'm still mostly interested in more cores. A 16-core Ryzen 9 would be a nice replacement for my 8-core Ryzen 7.

thesebastian and MonstroMart like this.

5. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I think this is the case, at least for Ryzen 2000 and beyond. And I hope that some site will do a responsible study of it.

The PC enthusiast mentality still automatically equates OC with "better performance". That was true in the past because there was no alternative. Today, tech websites keep this idea going because it generates page views and sells OC gear. I suspect that's why much of what AMD has accomplished with Precision Boost and XFR has gone relatively unremarked.

I too want "performance" but certainly not by running all cores at max frequency all the time. So when I buy Ryzen 3xxx I'll want to know what, if anything, should be tweaked, and the trade-offs. Memory maybe.... CPU probably not.

thesebastian likes this.
  6. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well since the 9900K is running well outside the TDP (95w) to160w,+ 7w (with 4.7GHz all core turbo) is still a fair bit higher than 105w + 15w for the motherboard but the gab is not massively huge persay.

With that in mind Intels TDP is completely useless and either AMD's or Intel's is not directly comparable any more.

carnivore likes this.
  7. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You're just going to confuse people who may not have the details. The 570 chipsets need a fan because they can dissipate 15W instead of 10W. The difference in CPUs could be 100W.

8. illrigger

illrigger Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry, I really should have done the math on that. Assuming 5 hours of gaming a day, it's actually costing you $9.20 per month, plus whatever it takes to remove the waste heat from your home in the warm months. That's assuming the average of $12 per kwh. If you are in somewhere like California where both power is more expensive and it's hot more of the year, you can add about 50% to that cost.

I must also assume your numbers also didn't include your monitor, so add another 15 cents a month assuming you have a suitably massive one to go with your horrendously expensive PC. That's what my 55" LG OLED draws, and it's reasonably power efficient compared to the high refresh ultrawides that a lot of people have.

In other words, the cost to operate that beast is not inconsequential.

Arbie likes this.
  9. Borys

Borys Active Member

GPU:
    Intel X3100 256MB
    To close the discussion! RYZEN2 will put Intel DOWN! Its over fanboys... listen this very clear:
    AMD HAS THE BEST CPU at the market! Costing much less! Intel will need a lot of years to respond to that... when they arrive at 7nm AMD will be at 3nm... and the losses will be big!
    "all in this world is transitory" CONGRATULATIONS AMD! The final CPU winner! (with a lot of advantage)

10. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Such woke much wow.
    10/10 would read again, you clearly know your crap

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    A few posts here are getting out of hand.

Let's not have that happen. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

12. karma777police

karma777police Active Member

GPU:
    Let's be clear here. Ryzen won't put Intel Down, let's cut that crap out. No one needs Intel or AMD down because we need competition. Best CPU at the market? That's very questionable...let's see actual benches comparing Zen 2 and 9900 k done by reviewers. It does cost less and that's good, read again -> Competition. Intel's 10nm is more dense than AMD 7nm, number means nothing. I would not worry about it. Since you are somewhere from East European loser Country, this is good news for you guys there since you get ripped by your gov. where you have to pay 20% tax on anything. No hard feelings.

JOHN30011887 likes this.
  13. Kaill

Kaill Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    i am super happy about this i have an fx8350, and have been wanting to upgrade for a while but with how quickly Ryzen was evolving i kept holding back on upgrading, but i am going to bite the bullet on these once the reviews come out and decide if i am going to just get one of the 8/16s or just go full ham and get the 12/24 or if they do come out the 16/32. but again waiting on reviews to see what will last me another 8 to 10 years.

14. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 56
    You really should take your pill and go get some sleep.

15. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    We have no benchmarks from respectable sources, we have no reviews, we pretty much have nothing but AMD promo. Yet some on here already know that this will kill off Intel. I guess the summer holidays started early for some.

16. Borys

Borys Active Member

GPU:
    Intel X3100 256MB
    Your answer is exactly what a playboy fanboy must be. I am brazilian with proud and here the taxes are 60%... because of it I am here since a long time to learn the best option of hardware may I buy because I put value to my money.... use your time here to really learn something about what is the best price x performance you can buy... but I forgot it... the Intel fanboys only look at 5FPS more at 1080p... its strange because here at looser jungle I am a 1440p since a long time...

17. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Its the typical childish fanboy war crap, same thing every time theres new cpu, or gpu, kids will be kids

18. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Congrats. This is the first of countless posts I've seen on operating costs that even mentions the waste heat. (I suppose you are an engineer.) Then consider that removing that heat is very inefficient, to the extent that the base electric cost of a component can easily be tripled.

Ignoring - or ignorance of - these factors makes most threads on this topic laughable.

airbud7 and yasamoka like this.
  19. thesebastian

thesebastian Active Member

GPU:
    GTX1080 + H90
    I'm on the same boat.

> Currently I have i5 4590, 2x8GB DDR3 and a B85M-ITX cheap motherboard (and a Noctua NH-U12S fan that I'd like to use with Zen 2 if possible). My main issue. the i5 can't hold 60 FPS in heavy CPU games. (PUBG, Hitman Absolution, etc).

I WILL upgrade to Zen 2, but I need to spend like:

- 180€ 2x16GB DDR4 (Unless somebody tell me I can safely do dual channel in the future keeping my memory and that I don't really lose anything important with just 1 RAM, then I'd buy 1x16GB).
    - 200-500€ for the new Ryzen CPU
    - 80€-200€ for the new ITX motherboard

And my OS drive is currently a SATA 850 evo that would be nice to upgrade to NVME. ( I have another SATA 850 evo for the other stuff ).

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Sorry im interested in the first interesting CPU launch of past at least half decade. :)

sorry not sorry that is.