AMD Announces Ryzen 7 3700X, 3800X and Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually its typically the opposite, larger the cache the higher the latency because it's a larger area to search - even with advanced cache tagging/indexing and whatnot. That being said it improves performance because you're going to memory less so it's still a good thing overall.

2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    So much arguing about Intel vs AMD, it's not surprising, but come on this is great news to both camps. Intel users can look forward to either price cuts or better products soon, while AMD users can buy their new and shiny CPUs.

-------------------

I'm a bit concerned with the mobo prices, they are always super high for new boards especially with new PCI4, plus they all have a fan that I kinda loathe. So I am considering to get 3700x or 3800x with 400 series board. I don't really need the lanes for nvme and I'm only going for a single card. So it should be fine either way. Looking forward to reviews here.

Ricardo likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont be hypocrite. You dont consider amd and you never will, we all know that by your attitude.

Wait for your Intel vodka lake and leave us be.

Ricardo, Luc, carnivore and 1 other person like this.
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    My inner slav has aroused.

yasamoka, user1, Ricardo and 3 others like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you typically can't even measure this specific situation, but more cache is better than less since you're keeping mre stuff in cache in the first place.

6. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Windows or not, I'm worried about that crap (Meltdown, spectre, zombieload, etc). I have an Intel i5 4590 that is eating all these shots and can barely grant 50-60 FPS in many games. (I'm not saying that's because of the patches, but patches don't really help).

At the same time. In the past I used to run any app asking for admin right. Nowadays, I don't even install a .zip manager if it's asking for admin rights. But yeah, there are exceptions, even if they are "trusted" developers, I don't like to install anything anymore.

But yeah, in summary, I need to upgrade my i5 as soon as possible if I want more perf.

There shouldn't be such thing as "AMD users" or "Intel users" though. I had 3 AMD builds and 3 Intel builds.
    Next build will be an AMD build no matter the price/performance ratio there is in the market. And the build after that, probably will be Intel again.

The day I need an upgrade, will not matter which path I had taken, I'd need the upgrade anyway.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Riiight... "need" it...

It's fine if Intel makes a product suitable for your needs. I myself have recommended Intel for certain tasks (including, but not limited to gaming). But frankly, I don't give a crap how much you like hardware, and I care even less about your personal preferences when you treat them like they're more important than everyone else's.

thesebastian likes this.
  8. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Everyone super triggered by just 1 troll fanboy, love it :D

Anyway need some IC reviews wanna know what kinda memory i can use on a 3900

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Strange at least.

Those PCIe lanes must come from the CPU and have nothing to do with the chipset.

Must be a misprint or a fail, but I don't know.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  10. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    So looking forward to Zen 2, looks like amd will compete or beat intel while running at lower clocks! Quite amusing reading some of the comments on lots of the youtube tech channels with lots of people raging& saying zen 2 is a flop because it doesn't boost to 5 ghz lol, well who gives a ***** about that with a 15% ipc increase over Zen+ and a doubling of the caches on the cpu, it won't need to clock at 5 ghz to be just as good if not better than what intel has to offer. Can't wait for early July for the third party reviews.

11. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    This is all AMD's Intel's fault for not providing competition to Intel AMD.

12. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The chipset fan is reportedly there to support RAID NVMe. I expect / hope that without such load it will rarely spin up, so much less to worry about re lifetime. I won't exclude fan mobos if they have other features I want.

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    What i would like and maybe best to get people to move over from AM4 platforms like X370 and X470 would be to allow multiple cores to clock to the specified boost frequency, i am hoping by default 2 cores boost to say 4.6GHz with mobo manufacturers allowing 3 and 4 cores. I am hoping but i doubt it. My 1700 didn't have boost so i overclocked it to all 8 cores to 4GHz but if these do allow a number of cores to boost maybe overclocking is dead on AMD. Just let the CPU to it's thing and get the power saving to boot. The 2700X performed typically better in games stock due to boost over a slightly lower an All core clock.

14. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    And I notice that AMD hasn't jabbed Intel regarding "TDP". They simply list the specs, leaving unsaid the fact that the Intel chips are going to draw far more power when loaded.

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    AMD put the extra powerdraw outside the cpu. Chipset now need a fan :p

Maybe total powerdraw will be the same with Cpu and MB combined :D

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, I've built both AMD and Intel systems in the past. In general, I buy according to my needs and what my wallet can support. Frankly, if Intel wasn't such a scrooge (selling octa-core CPUs for $1K) then I would probably still be with them. I willingly gave up stronger IPC and clock speeds for more affordable cores for my grid computing apps. I also play games with a GPU cap so didn't mind the loss of IPC. It fit my needs better, so that's what I went with.

AMD increasing IPC with Zen 2 is certainly nice, but I'm still mostly interested in more cores. A 16-core Ryzen 9 would be a nice replacement for my 8-core Ryzen 7.

thesebastian and MonstroMart like this.
  17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I think this is the case, at least for Ryzen 2000 and beyond. And I hope that some site will do a responsible study of it.

The PC enthusiast mentality still automatically equates OC with "better performance". That was true in the past because there was no alternative. Today, tech websites keep this idea going because it generates page views and sells OC gear. I suspect that's why much of what AMD has accomplished with Precision Boost and XFR has gone relatively unremarked.

I too want "performance" but certainly not by running all cores at max frequency all the time. So when I buy Ryzen 3xxx I'll want to know what, if anything, should be tweaked, and the trade-offs. Memory maybe.... CPU probably not.

thesebastian likes this.
  18. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well since the 9900K is running well outside the TDP (95w) to160w,+ 7w (with 4.7GHz all core turbo) is still a fair bit higher than 105w + 15w for the motherboard but the gab is not massively huge persay.

With that in mind Intels TDP is completely useless and either AMD's or Intel's is not directly comparable any more.

carnivore likes this.
  19. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You're just going to confuse people who may not have the details. The 570 chipsets need a fan because they can dissipate 15W instead of 10W. The difference in CPUs could be 100W.

20. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sorry, I really should have done the math on that. Assuming 5 hours of gaming a day, it's actually costing you $9.20 per month, plus whatever it takes to remove the waste heat from your home in the warm months. That's assuming the average of $12 per kwh. If you are in somewhere like California where both power is more expensive and it's hot more of the year, you can add about 50% to that cost.

I must also assume your numbers also didn't include your monitor, so add another 15 cents a month assuming you have a suitably massive one to go with your horrendously expensive PC. That's what my 55" LG OLED draws, and it's reasonably power efficient compared to the high refresh ultrawides that a lot of people have.

In other words, the cost to operate that beast is not inconsequential.

Arbie likes this.