1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD announces Radeon VII (7nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Radeon says 699$ msrp. In my country the cheapest rtx 2080 today has jumped to 712€. If you convert dollars to euro and include European taxes radeon 7 will be tha same or more expensive than the cheapest rtx 2080.

How are you here saying radeon 7 is a hundred bucks cheaper? I see your trolling in my face. :)

2. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Based on the facts we know we should all invest in Nvidia stock right now. That 11xx line is going to be their best seller in 2019 compared to R7 and 20xx series with no game RTX tech! :D

3. Mpampis

Mpampis Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 8GB
    1) of course it is 2-3 generations behind, but they do have something to show for it. They can claim all the research cost them, and it really did. AMD on the other hand charge the same amount with only the die shrink, which should actually cost less as the chips are now smaller.
    2) I don't know what's stopping them from using GDDR5X or GDDR6, that alone would probably have reduced the cost significantly. Maybe it would cause a huge performance impact on the Vega architecture, but I haven't really come across any research suggesting this.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Cost per transistor is higher on 7nm then 12/16nm + it's a new process so yields probably worse even at 300mm2.

carnivore and cowie like this.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    I really love how instead of listening when a staff member asks you to do something, you do the opposite.

warlord likes this.
  6. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Alright Mr., if you feel unease with my attitude excuse me, I'm sorry. I have always had a love hate relationship with any kind of authority. :D

I'll watch silenty the thread, I made enough noise already, I can't blame you or any other members.

7. Mpampis

Mpampis Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 8GB
    That makes sense, you're probably right. But that makes the whole release unnecessary, doesn't it? Why release something that costs a lot more than the competitor's previous gen, if you can't beat them in performance and/or power consumption?
    The answer to this used to be the price to performance ratio. But at 699$, tha is not your advantage anymore, and neither is performance and power consumption. How are you going to beat the competition?

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Well as it stands right now you can't find 2080's for $700 - most are closer to $760+. Also it comes bundled with 3 free games - so if you were going to buy those games anyway the cost is far cheaper than 2080. Then obviously some people are going to just prefer AMD to Nvidia for whatever reason - so you'll capture some of those people. Also the card is arguably better than the competition for compute/workstation for the price especially with the 16GB of HBM so you'll get sales there.

Plus this card is just a rebrand of the Instinct MI50 - which is why the card actually exists because it is competitive in that market for the pricepoint.

So yeah while it's not great it's not like completely pointless. They are probably just using it to tide them over to Navi.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
  10. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING

11. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    Great AMD can save me the trouble, keep the games & start selling the card at $519 :rolleyes:

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    I wonder if the VII can be hacked into a MI50 to save costs for data centers or other professional applications. The MI cards cost $ thousands.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I think that FP64 performance is cut down. But one never knows.
    If FP32 and lower is needed, then one can just plug and play.

alanm likes this.
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It might be similar to Nvidia's Titans, which are seen as prosumer cards. In that sense, Vega 7 is a great bargain as an entry-level prosumer card. As others have said, I'd like to see some professional benchmarks for it.

I think this thread shows the frustration of gamers. For the past three years we have seen zero progress in terms of performance per dollar. Vega 7 offers the same level of performance as a 1080 Ti for the same price and is deemed a failure because of that. Of course Nvidia is no better - the 2080 also delivers the same level of performance as a 1080 Ti for the same price, and should also be considered a massive fail. Neither company is delivering worthwhile products at this time and we have essentially plateaued.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    This card is a way to recoup some money from defective dies that otherwise would be completely wasted. This way they can salvage the GPUs that have small defects (not completely functional) and can´t be sold as the MI50/60 cards and make some money by selling them as gaming cards. Normal stuff in the silicon industry.

As for using HBM2 instead of GDDR6, that´s probably the only possible way to follow. Redesigning a new memory controller for GDDR6 would probably cost a lot of money and the performance increase would be minimal. And there´s a chance that HBM2 and GDDR6 have a very similar cost.
    I also remember reading when HBM was launched that AMD was tied to a long term contract that force them to buy a certain amount of HBM memory no matter what but i could be wrong about this. So financially it would make little sense to switch memory types.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    It's still disappointing when you compare to Ryzen. I bought a Ryzen 7 1800x in 2017 and paid 440$ CAD for it (which was the equivalent of around 332$ USD back then so less expensive than a ****** RTX 2600 for what was pretty much a high end cpu). I mean yes it was not as good as the best Intel offering in games but it was close at 2k resolution and up and it did beat fair and square the equally priced Intel cpus in productivity. I could have got better with Intel but it would have cost me more (for the cpu and the ecosystem). That was a great CPU for a great price and forced Intel to remove his hands from his pockets. Intel reacted pretty much right away and launched new cpus.

I just don't see it with this new GPU. I mean technically speaking it doesn't look that bad. It looks like it will perform like a 2080 for around the same price. But it's not a cheap GPU by any mean and cheaper versions should not be good enough for 4k or high refresh rate. A price of 599 with 2080 performance was what i expected. 699 is a lot of money for something that deliver just proper performance. It wont force nVidia to revise his pricing much.

Maddness likes this.
  17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    This + 1000.

That's exactly how i feel.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    RTX and the new vega are really not exciting, the prices are through the roof with barely any significant progress.

Kudos for AMD matching or slightly beating 1080ti, with 7nm after two years...

Maddness likes this.
  19. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    The market needs a price adjustment. AMD should be smart here and lower the price to 600. If they do this, the Radeon 7 will sell with ease. This will then force Nvidia to do the same. Nvidia will then lower the price of the 2080 Ti because no one will buy one at 1200-1300 if they can get a 2080 for 600. Be smart here, AMD. You guys can easily gain mindshare and marketshare here by reducing the price a bit. They will not gain anything in the GPU market by overpricing.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Mundosold

Mundosold Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    Never thought I'd see the day where I am hoping INTEL revitalizes the GPU market..