1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD announces Radeon VII (7nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti xtreme
    I would definitely go for more ram over RTX
    1) I personally thinks that RTX performance is 2-3 generations behind to be really usable at decent resolutions and framerates and in acceptable amount of titles to be worth it.
    2) games currently easily use 6-8GB of VRAM, but OS and programs on background can easily use additional 2-3GB. Plus, I time from time run two games @once because of multiple reasons.

2. DrKeo

DrKeo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    No idea what you are even trying to say with this or how its even related to the subject. Nvidia had RT tools for offline rendering years before AMD. They hired RT experts years ago and developed dedicated silicon for RT. Obviously Nvidia is taking RT much more seriously than AMD.

Running RT on your GPU is easy, all you need to do is allow it because DXR and Vulkan already do all the work for you. The thing is? A full Vega64 can't do what 2060RTX RT cores do even if they use the whole GPU for RT (and they still need to do all the rest too, like shaders and lighting).

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Many games will use more VRAM if more is available. Absolute usage figures are hard to compare, and how using more VRAM translates into a performance advantage is hard to judge.
    Ultimately the benchmarks should tell you if it really matters.

Of course if you have special needs that warrant more VRAM for you, then that may be a good option. But for the average person, the answer "more VRAM is always better" is not quite so clear cut.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I don't find it thaat expensive, 650$ would be ideal.

IMO a great competitor for Turing in general, yeah it's not 2080TI rival, but hey it's also not frickin 1200$+.. get real people. I'm pretty sure it will be a fine 1440p card, better then expected. I will personally hold off on a new 2080RTX for now, not if I can get same or better perf. at less money.

The only deal breaker for me now would be thermals, if it remains ~ 70C and a good OC'er lets say at least 1950-2000MHz, idc about TDP, never was.. Then I'm sold. Bye bye nvidia, you've been a love hate relationship for far too long xD

moo100times, fantaskarsef and BetA like this.

5. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid

Toms is conflicting Anandtech somewhat with PCIe 4.0. They are also saying AMD boards will allow PCIe 4.0 upgrades via bios.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

fantaskarsef and K.S. like this.
  6. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Crap ok - good to know as Toms is a known-good source (not that anand) isn't but ... means ... that this isn't known yet until I can find a AMD post like a spec sheet or maybe a twitter clip on their feed of something... might just ask em myself...

Thanks @Srsbsns

That was a really cool article about different OEMs saying their tests concluded that only one lane (the closest PCI-E x16) to the CPU could operate at 4.0 speeds just fine but the rest would revert back to 3.0 - so cool! All via BIOS update! I really hope AMD approves that cause apparently the OEMs were all saying they needed AMD's approval? :/ aahh please AMD approve it just don't "support" it.. like back when X79 SandyBridge-E days

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Technically, ATI introduced tesselation with DX8, it didn't take off and only a handful of games have release or patched in support for it.

the ATI tesselation engine for DX11 has never been their strong point, but there is never a "proper time" to introduce new capabilities,

RTX is for those who want to dabble, and the developers who want to get in on bringing DXRT to their games now, there is nothing new going on here with graphical options being provided that are intended for future graphics hardware.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They are a discrete fixed function core.

Each SM has one directly behind the tex units.

Ideally, this needs to increase to 2 per SM for little to no performance penalty, as these are not units that you can just optimise for better performance, they have a dedicated task and do that task at the limits of the clock rate.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you have a problem with high-end features requiring high performance cost, specifically at first, just like it always has been. (Tessellation anyone? Among many others first introducing technologies that pushed the graphics boundaries)

Another way for that your nonsense could be stated is:

Look how amazing(in comparison) RTX 2080 does ray-tracing, and look how horrible the Radeon VII does ray tracing, for a card that are supposed to be equal, or better on that radeon side, that's pretty sad and pathetic.

Ofcourse this comment can't be officially stated, since Radeon VII can't run ray tracing (at least, not announced), but really is that a plus in AMDs court? Not even in the slightest, that's worse then running it horrible, 0 fps/null and void, is worse then 2fps.

I love AMD, i want them to succeed in both CPUs and GPUs, i would love to have an actual reason to go AMD GPU, but as it stands, there's no way i'd spend $699 for technology that just does the same thing as previous generations, a little bit better, and has no (known) advancements into the future of gaming technologies. The only reason i'd buy one is to support HBM on GPUs, as i do believe that is the future.

I'm also sorry you think you understand technology. Your trolling, bashing post history states otherwise.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    either way, we need AMD to do better with its Hardware and Software, needing 2 years for a product to reach peak performance is how i interpret "Fine wine" arguments.

11. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Hmm, after some research at 4k performance, Radeon VII will be placed between 2070 and 2080. Lisa said 25% faster than Vega 64. That's 1080ti's boundaries as 1080ti is 33.3% faster than Vega 64 and 2080 is 44.9% faster than Vega 64. AMD fanboys stop hype and lies. :eek: You are a shame.

K.S. likes this.
  12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    The performance seems to be rather good, considering it's just from a die shrink. The price feels like it's too much. I guess they are orienting themselves on overblown Nvidia pricing. I hope this pricing trend doesn't continue. It would have been nice if this card came in at around $400-450 (maybe they could push out a variant without included games and/or 8GB variant for that price still?) instead to put some real pressure on Nvidia to lower prices considerably as well.

Let's see what Navi brings.

chispy likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I think that this will greatly depend on the resolution, the 7nm vega will have 1tb/s of raw bandwidth. it will no doubt get stronger at higher resolutions (compared to vega 64).

Something i find interesting is the cards boost clock is only 150mhz higher than the vega FE, 7nm is supposed to clock 20% higher at the same power, obviously the design is not quite the same, but the implication is that 2ghz might not be off the table when overclocked with no power limits.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 7nm node AMD are using isn't exactly the best for ramping up performance, they need to move to EUV which have a far more precise gate layer to bring performance up without transistor leakage.

Maddness likes this.
  15. Jawnys

Jawnys Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac amp extreme 1080ti
    they need to release an 8gb version cheaper, then it ll sell, heck i would replace my 1070 in my ryzen rig with this card to go all the way with the redteam, but at this price no thanks , ill keep the 1070 in it since its my 2nd rig

16. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZXRaziel, Valken and warlord like this.
  17. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I am aware of this. None of us knew though before this event what exactly would be coming from AMD. There was talk of VEGA 2 or Navi.

Maddness likes this.
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    100% agree.

People complaining about the price need to just stop. This is a normal price of high end GPU's for the past 5 years. Then you factor in you are getting 1080Ti/2080 performance levels, double the amount of VRAM, Insane bandwidth (1TB/sec), and 3 free games thrown in that each would cost $60/£50 each thats $180/£150 just for the games you are getting with the GPU as well!!

The card costs $699 take off $180 = $519 for the GPU! Bare in mind the 2080 is the same price on newegg with only 2 games, and the 1080Ti is still around the same price as well.

Its a great deal and Nvidia can kiss my ass, totally hating their business decisions for the past 3 years but AMD haven't had anything worth buying. This looks like it will be my first AMD GPU since the HD7970!

Valken likes this.
  19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    It's always good to see another option come out for people buying new cards. Competition is much needed in the gpu sector. Unfortunately nvidia will remain the only option if you want to game at ultra 4k 60fps and probably will remain the only option for quite a while. As much as I would like AMD to catch up, I don't think they ever will. By the time they release anything close to nvidia's 2080ti, nvidia would have already developed a card or two that is better. Most likely at top price too because nothing is really stopping them. This pattern has been going on for a while. Would be interesting to see if another company steps in like Intel or something else.

20. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    eh looks a bit overpriced, not expecting much from that architecture. You never know i guess....? Might be less bad than it looks (at that price point.. tho knowing AMD i wouldnt bet on the price staying there)