1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD announces Radeon VII (7nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    All I gathered this far is that I'll still be on my 1080Ti for at least another year. While I'm glad that there's some sort of competition back, the price/performance ratio for this card is worse than I (and probably many) expected. But I guess it was wishful thinking from the start. :oops:

fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.
  2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    At least you got a 1080TI. I really regret not buying a 1080 when i built my new PC in 2017. The 1080 was only 100$ CAD more than the 1070 i bought. But since neither card were bullet proof at 2k120-144 or 4k60 and i planned to buy a new monitor i decided to go for a 1070 for 570$ CAD. Now if i want to upgrade this 1070 to fully exploit my new 2k144Hz monitor (or my 4k60Hz tv when i play from my couch with my controller) i would need to spend over 800$ CAD two years later. This is so ridiculous i just can't believe it. I really regret not buying the 1080. It was lacking a little oomph for 2k144Hz or 4k60Hz but it was not too far.

Sadly i agree i don't think this card will do anything for us. It's expensive and looks like it will perform like a 1080ti at best so any cheaper version of it wont perform good enough. GPU market is so depressing right now. I'm not a fan of Intel but i wish they will make a great dedicated GPU in 2020 to shake the market a little bit. But historically they overprice their products so ...

Maddness and Solfaur like this.
  3. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    An 8GB card that matches an RTX 2080 for 599, and a 16GB card that matches an RX 2080 Ti for 799 would have been a total home run for AMD. This would allow them to gain huge mindshare and marketshare. With this card being 700, and appearing to be slightly faster than an RTX 2080, they are missing the mark here. It is too expensive, and just not fast enough to compete in the highest end.

Solfaur and MonstroMart like this.
  4. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte VEGA 64
    It will beat it for sure. Look at the Strange Brigade result they used in comparing it with the RTX2080 - Vega II was so much faster (Vulkan API). Guess what also uses Vulkan... Wolfenstein.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I’ve got a 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid for sale if anyone is interested.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    They can't match 2080 Ti without using a new architecture. Apparently such architecture is still far in the future. GCN is already too little butter spread on too large a bread. AMD has taken everything imaginable out of it. It just won't stretch anymore.

Maddness likes this.
  7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As others mentioned, Vega 7 likely just a repurposed MI50, not something designed from the ground-up for gaming. Navi is the next big hope for gaming, not Vega - the moment that they mentioned Vega it should have been obvious what this was - a stopgap until Navi.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Mere

Mere Member Guru

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    - 700 USD is TOO MUCH!

- SELL the 3 damn games, son!

:D

9. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    As long as its on par with 1080 performance and has more than 10gb of vram, i might switch.

10. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    2 years old performance for the same 2 years old prize of 1080ti.

1080ti was the best buy for years !

fantaskarsef, Maddness and Solfaur like this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    I expected a little more out of this :/ , sadly is still a Vega gpu that matches more or less a GTX1080Ti and a RTX2080. It seems Navy is far far away ... I was hoping for a replacement for my GTX1080Ti but this is not it :( . I'm torn between between selling my 1080Ti and buy a 2080Ti or not :confused: and i thought i would never spent more than $1,000US Dollars on a video card ! decisions decisions ...

fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.
  12. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    Good card but.. AMD lost the train 2 years ago.. & the price.. ohh GOD! :D

13. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The Die size increased by 60% for the 2080 TI (754mm2) from the 1080 TI(471mm2) while coming with around 30% extra cuda cores. A larger die size also means worse yields which results in higher cost. They added both the tensor cores and integer cores so they will add to the size of the die.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    1080Ti is not a good example because it doesn't support 2x FP16 per cycle which requires fixed hardware. GP100, Volta/Turing do which is why I used GP100 for comparison. Tensor cores aren't necessary for RT as shown by BF5 which doesn't use them. The separated INT32 pipeline improves performance per SM on non-RT workloads:

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/1...8_Updated090318_1536034900-compressed-011.png

Also INT32 capability wasn't added it was just separated from FP32 path for concurrency improvements (Turing has twice the number of dispatch units per SM). Transistor cost per SM should be roughly the same and AFAIK it doesn't have much to do with RT other then improving scheduling (It was split in Volta too which doesn't have RT).

So yeah - like you can argue that the chip is too big, costs too much, whatever but the size of the chip has nothing to do with accelerating raytracing. Most of the size comes from cache which got doubled and typically takes up a fair amount of space along with scheduler changes and tensor cores.

yasamoka likes this.
  15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    This is a useless launch... Where's Navi? Nowhere.

16. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Any confirmation on what type of drivers Radeon Vll will receive? Anyone know if it will it match a/the format of the Vega Frontier Edition for example, considering its very high price.

Example: Radeon Pro Software™

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  17. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
    My Gigabyte gaming oc 1080Ti , new $629.00 , was a steal back in September , and now still is !
    AMD would have had me at $599!
    Good till next generation.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    If this is an MI50 card wouldn't that mean you could connect two GPUs via infinity fabric? This was pretty much everyone's dream.

K.S. likes this.
  19. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d twin 1660ti
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn I hope you will include a good section with content creation benchmarks (Blender, premiere, etc etc) on this card when reviews are available...Also will be interesting to see if this card is a good overclocker...

Seems to me a really good price here when you consider it is 16 GB of HBM and 60 CU's , for a compute card that is also able to game at 4k 60+ fps it is a good deal for people who wants the best of both worlds tbh, i do not get the outcry over the pricetag...

As for pure gaming (and pricing), if one wants AMD then maybe wait for the actual NAVI products to emerge or the 11xx Nvidia series.

I think most of us have too high expectations for AMD at this point in time, but hopefully they'll have time (and money) now to properly mature the NAVI segment so that we'll see proper competition to NGreedia.

20. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    "AMD will be employing some mild product segmentation here to avoid having the Radeon VII cannibalize the MI50 – the Radeon VII does not get PCIe 4.0 support, nor does it get Infinity Link support"

- Source AnandTech.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13832/amd-radeon-vii-high-end-7nm-february-7th-for-699

fantaskarsef likes this.